The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Skies of Arcadia Flying to New Platform

RageRage Transcends lowly massesFull Members
edited January 2004 in Latest Updates
This constant system-jumping wouldn't happen if more people would've not, um, sucked so much and just bought the game. Or maybe because of their sucking, most people don't deserve the game...

"Heath, what are you talking about?"

Comments

• edited January 2004
    I wish stories like this were somehow flagged as Japanese only. ?I was truely getting my hopes up that SoA might be making it's way to PS2 (the obvious assumption given the headline) and then I click the story only to be let down. ?The chances of a PC version of SoA making it's way to America is probably less than 0%. ?Even blockbusters like FF7 and 8 didn't fare well on the PC here. ?If anything, could the newsies be a little less cryptic in the newsblog or here at the message board (for those of us who stopped checking the front page when the daily Q&A started to suck). ?Like, I appreciate the witty quips, analogies and all, and sometimes the full story themselves can be a little on the brief side, but maybe a sentance of summary about the article would work? ?If anything couldn't "New Platform" been simply "PC in Japan?" ?I don't understand why we're being forced to click into an article that A) won't pertain to the vast majority of us, or B) will only shatter the little bit of hope we've built up from the headline...

At any rate, sorry for the rant, but this kind of thing has happened before.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I had it for my Dreamcast on launch day. And since it's technically this gen, I'll go ahead and give it my favorite RPG this gen so far. Such vision in an RPG these days, let alone back then is very rare. This game is really special, of course it didn't sell well.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    You are not forced to read anything, Liquid. Last I checked this was RPGamer, not RPUSGamer. Japanese RPGs are still RPGs and still newsowrthy, no matter how you don't like it.

Serves you right to judge before you read the entire article.

• RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I had it for my Dreamcast on launch day[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You are a better man than I.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I wish stories like this were somehow flagged as Japanese only...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Psh, then like 6 people would read it. And, as you've demonstarted you already know by this:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't understand why we're being forced to click into an article [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We certainly are the most vicious of Nazis, that lurk over your shoulder and will wipe out your seed if you don't read the news.
    *shrugs* That's just how headlines go.
  • edited January 2004
    I didn't mean "forced" dorks. I mean you were purposely getting our expectations up that this may somehow apply to us, and then bam, no payoff. And Cain, I did read the entire article, thus my dissapointment. I was under the impression that that was abundantly clear. I never said this wasn't a newsworthy occurance. It's just deceptive when I would guess an overwhelming majority of your readers are US, or even UK or Australian residents.

Furthermore, what would be wrong with "like 6 people" reading the article if those 6 people were THE 6 people that care about SoA being released in Japan on the PC...

This isn't exactly a huge issue. I'm not literally sitting in my room with tears streaming from my face and pouting, so you guys can take your 'nanny nanny boo boo' and shove it. It was merely a suggestion.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Forgive us if we tend to cater to vast majority of readers who continue to check index. Also, if you give away the full contents of the story there (or here), people don't read it, so I hope you'll understand if we tend to set things up so that what we write serves some purpose.

Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I have This Game in the Dreamcast version and i really hope that this game will get released for Ps2 not because it's the Ps2 or because i am a PS Fanboy, but because This Game deserves A bigger Crowd Than what the GC have (maybe in the PS2 will sell, who knows???)

And yes This is a wonderfull Game, maybe the best of the Dreamcast (to me)
  • drothgerydrothgery Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Skies is why I've got a 'Cube. I don't care which system Sega makes it for, but I want an SoA 2 (okay, I'd like it on the big black box, but that's not going to happen...)
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Jan. 02 2004,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I didn't mean "forced" dorks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Then don't use the word. ?Not exactly a difficult concept.
    edited January 2004
    The blurbs are meant to be teasers. They're meant for someone to read and go "Ooh this could be interesting, I'll go ahead and click", they are not meant to include the entire story. To do so defeats the purpose of a blurb as well has posting news anyway...we could just put "Final Fantasy XII will be out next year. Hope you like it!"

Drop the attitude, Liquid.
  • edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Castomel @ Jan. 02 2004,12:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Forgive us if we tend to cater to vast majority of readers who continue to check index. ?Also, if you give away the full contents of the story there (or here), people don't read it, so I hope you'll understand if we tend to set things up so that what we write serves some purpose.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My suggestion had nothing to do with that. The headine and blog on the front page is as shady as the one for this thread.

And yes, I agree that giving away the entire contents of an article would cause no one to ever read the whole articles, and I don't want that, but you'll never read an article in the NY Times with a headline like 'Tax cuts promised for all citizens' and find out it's a story on the Croatian government... Even if you have a reader or two in Croatia who may or may not be thrilled to hear the news, it's deceptive. When the focus of the article is that SoA is coming to the PC in Japan, It's probably a good idea to include the words PC and Japan somewhere in the headline. I don't know, maybe I'm just being too logical here.

At any rate, it's not my website. And it's not like I'm going to stop valuing RPGamer as a source of news because a headline irritated me, so I think I'm just gonna call it a night.

Oh, and I just reread my last (second) post and realized I should have used a smilie or something cause it sounded like I was being harsh. I didn't mean to.
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ah, what an amusing thread this is... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I didn't mean "forced" dorks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I believe name calling is against forum rules. *Ahem*

Anywho, I have this game for my Dreamcast and it was one of the best RPG's I had played in a long time. It was definitely a unique game to play. I have many fond memories of it.
  • edited January 2004
    I thought calling someone a 'dork' would appear silly enough to imply that I wasn't being malicious. smile.gif
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Not this again. Ubi Soft embarrased Grandia 2 with their ###### PC (and PS2, actually) ports, just like the PC versions of FF7 and FF8 sucked before them.

I bought SOA on release day in November 2000, either make a sequel or leave it alone. mad.gif
  • TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Certain folks around here sure are touchy. Maybe I'm too laid back to notice any offense in LiQuid!'s posts.... and those other people who've gotten jumped on.

Oh well, I'm just a simple philosopher. I can't understand the subtleties of polite speech. sad.gif
  • edited January 2004
    I think I have to agree with LiQuid here. ?In the grand scheme of things, its minor and doesn't really matter and it isn't really going to stop me from reading the news here. ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Psh, then like 6 people would read it. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

But if you've got a story whose author admits that 6 people would bother to read had it had a more accurate headline, why is it really news? ?

Either way, it's your site to run as you see fit and we're just readers. ? biggrin.gif

Though, it is funny how a reader makes a small criticism of something and 4 staff members jump in to criticize her.

Incidentally, I was interested in this article and did read through all of it. ?So, I might be one of the 6; but even being one of those people, I can still see that LiQuid has somewhat of a point. ?But, is it really a big deal if people who wouldn't be interested in an article are given a heads up and don't read it. ?It's not like your newsies get paid by the hit. ?
    laugh.gif
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Jan. 02 2004,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...you'll never read an article in the NY Times with a headline like 'Tax cuts promised for all citizens' and find out it's a story on the Croatian government... ?Even if you have a reader or two in Croatia who may or may not be thrilled to hear the news, it's deceptive. ?When the focus of the article is that SoA is coming to the PC in Japan, It's probably a good idea to include the words PC and Japan somewhere in the headline.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Mmm, non-applicable examples are the best.
    You see, in your example, it would be the general (and logical) assumption that "all citizens" meant those of the US. Assumptions are pretty much required in communication, and this is certainly a reasonable one. I agree that such a headline about that story would be misleading.

However, the headline in question here simply reads "Skies of Arcadia Flying to New Platform." Is the PC a new platform for the game? Yes. Does that headline do anything to hint that the system the game is bound for in any particular one of them? No. Yet your complaint was that you got excited to read about a PS2 release. I fail to see how the headline suggests PS2, mainly because it doesn't.

You see, news headlines--no matter where--are like unto Christmas presents; you see a package, observe that it is very large, and possibly the Xbox you mentioned to mom and pop, and you dive in to check it out. The pattern is the same with news in the sense that you see the general shape of the story, and click the mouse or open to page 18 to find out more. If the Christmas present turns out to be a Toyota, it's not the giver's fault you thought it was an Xbox.

Take a look sometime in the grocery store. If a paper finds out Bill Clinton was secretly calling phone sex lines while in office, they're not going title the story about it "Clinton Calling Phone Sex Hotlines From White House." It would be more like "New Clinton Sex Scandal Uncovered" or something like that.

And now, put yourself in the writer's position. Think about what little information would be left if I had used your suggested title. Not much at all. Why would I write the whole story in the headline? The readers might as well read THIS story if that's how it works.

And now that I think about it, I must know if you were disappointed that the type of details you wanted to read were not found in our stories with titles such as "Drakengard Something Something" and "People Play Square Enix Games." Were you disappointed when any certain characters were not mentioned in "More New, Old Faces Revealed in FFVII: Advent Children"? It's always been this way and always will be. The system is fine, as is that headline. sarcasm.gif
    edited January 2004
    Kessar, suggestions are not worded as:

"Why do you force me to read short news stories with vague blurbs? Why do you make me read it?! I don't want all these quips on short stories!"

That's whining.

A suggestion is, "You know, that blurb seems a little vague and may lead people to think it's US, not Japan."

Four staff members didn't jump on Liquid for a suggestion. Four staff members jumped on Liquid for insulting the writer, basically saying RPGamer FORCES them to do something, and using words now recanted as "not meant". Further telling the staff to "shove it" doesn't exactly earn points.

Also, Kessar, a headline is supposed to be attracting. Here, our headlines are the blurbs. They are our short, grasping devices used. If we start posting the news in the blurbs then we'll end up with 5 updates on a page.

Even if it's a minor story, it deserves both a headline and copy. No matter the game news, it gets a blurb and a story area.

edited January 2004
    So I come back to RPGamer.com and see 12 reactions! Yay, I think to myself, a deep conversation about SoA...
  • Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    LOL!

AND they're staff members (well not liquid but you know what i mean), well now they see how easy is to start a discussion even if you didn't mean it and the next thing you see there are people complaining for the language, LOL

But in this case even if Liquid has some point's in there the Staff have the reason.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Jan. 02 2004,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Kessar, suggestions are not worded as:

"Why do you force me to read short news stories with vague blurbs? Why do you make me read it?! I don't want all these quips on short stories!"

That's whining.

A suggestion is, "You know, that blurb seems a little vague and may lead people to think it's US, not Japan."

Four staff members didn't jump on Liquid for a suggestion. Four staff members jumped on Liquid for insulting the writer, basically saying RPGamer FORCES them to do something, and using words now recanted as "not meant". Further telling the staff to "shove it" doesn't exactly earn points.

Also, Kessar, a headline is supposed to be attracting. Here, our headlines are the blurbs. They are our short, grasping devices used. If we start posting the news in the blurbs then we'll end up with 5 updates on a page.

Even if it's a minor story, it deserves both a headline and copy. No matter the game news, it gets a blurb and a story area.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    so liquid is just as hippocritical when it comes to wording as some of the rpgamer staff. i myself agree with the overall point that the blurbs should include some note of somesort if it doesn't pertain to a major portion of the readerbase.

something like this should probably have just popped up in Japandemonium (if it's still going. seems like it's been a while since i last saw a new one) . I know most things that have to do with Europe usually have the word Europe somewhere in the headline. And, as someone said, it's not like the newsies are getting paid by number of hits.

as for your comment on headlines being used to attract readers...headlines are suppose to attract people, but not mislead them. respectable journalistic publications don't use misleading headlines, that's something tabloids (spelling?) do. I'm not saying RPGamer isn't respectable or anything, but it never hurts to be careful.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Jan. 02 2004,17:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So I come back to RPGamer.com and see 12 reactions! Yay, I think to myself, a deep conversation about SoA...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well then, why don't you try to start one?
    What do you think could be added to or subtracted from a PC port of SoA? Do you think the online extras available in the DC version that were omitted from the Cube version will return? What kind of side quests and so on would be good to add to a PC port? Discuss away.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (watcher @ Jan. 02 2004,18:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"so liquid is just as hippocritical when it comes to wording as some of the rpgamer staff.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Aside from the mangled spelling and the fact that this wouldn't be a hypocritical situation anyhow even if what you were implying were true, the fact of the matter is that RPGamer's headline and blurb are entirely true, and by his own admission, LiQuid's use of the word, "forced," was not.
  • edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Though, it is funny how a reader makes a small criticism of something and 4 staff members jump in to criticize her.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would like to expressly note that this statement assumes one, myself as a member of the non-penis bearing sex, doubtlessly due to the signature and avatar image that I have selected depicting one, Etna, and that said statement is in fact, not 100% accurate. Thank you.

-The Management smile.gif
    edited January 2004
    There are a few things they could do in a PC version that makes this story interesting. They could go ahead and make all new textures and put real bump mapping and raytraces on the water.(Like morrowind and Mario Sunshine water) A much higher resolution is possible as well.

With a PC version putting in downloadable content would be much more ideal concidering the Dream Casts death,(RIP my love) and the Game Cubes broadband situation.
  • NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I love how the actual issues are usualy avoided and grammar isntead is attacked (or some such nonsense).

SO... PC ports of console RPGs.. whay do they not fare so well? My personal belief is that it has to do with the mentality of the PC gamer as opposed to the console gamer. Just look at the style of RPG's on each platform.

What's the first thing you think of when a PC ROG is mentioned these days? Myself, I picture a first person or close following 3rd person view, more than likely with some sort of online gaming aspect. I also think "made in America".

Now look at console RPGs. The FF series is the prototypical example for sure. Console RPG for me springs forth thought of an overhead or 3/4 view (or something like that, more importantly not FP or close following 3rd person), and I think a very personal experience as opposed to an online one.

It doesn't really have to do with the technological, but more with the mind sets of gamers on each respective platform.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Odd. ?I think of anything but a nearly first person game when I think of PC rpgs. ?I think of Torment, and Fallout, and Baldur's gate.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Neuromancer: Why not make a topic dedicated to that instead of...making what is at best a very tangental take on a news posting and an idle comment to attempt to start a discussion on that?

At the least, news threads should...I dunno, discuss the relevent news not meandering attempts to pretend one knows something about game theory and the broader implications between games success rates on alternate platforms.

Dracos
    "Drops two cents"
  • NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Well, seeing as how the second post in this thread (the first post by liquid) was about the success of console RPGs on the PC, my post fits in quite nicely thank you.
  • edited January 2004
    I'm really surprised that people like this game so much. I bought the Gamecube version, remembering that Rpgamer gave it "Game of the Year." I was pretty disappointed. Sure, it's not a stinker, but it's definitely not a "Game of the Year" game. 7.5 - 8 /10, maybe.