The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Final Fantasy XII

razafystrazafyst MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Latest Updates
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12/ff12.html

How would the holidays be complete without it? Enjoi!

Comments

• S E P H I R O T HS E P H I R O T H Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    W00t!! Thanks Raza! smile.gif
  • razafystrazafyst Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    awww, hey cool
    my first thank you! ;)
  • DragonsoulDragonsoul Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I am so looking forward to this game. The graphics look awesome. If the storyline is as good as the graphics then I'm sold!
  • gregmightgregmight Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Riding on intuition, I have quite high hopes for the storylines.

I really love the character designs. Whoever said they look like they have a Tetsuya Nomura filter on, just well, isn't smart. They actually have variations in facial geometry and such... ie, they don't all look they were created with a super-strict anatomically ideal precision drawing method. They look like different people.

Though while I don't really mind the extra skin showing on Vaan and Fran (oops, not Balfear, he's quite clothed), it's a bit embarassing right now playing Final Fantasy X-2 when my parents walk by... but oh well. We've all seen Shiva and Ifrit naked now hundreds of times ?wink.gif

• Neon_tmNeon_tm Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    If you people think this is cool then you have to see the trailer that quiter posted in theyre page, The trailer of 7:30 minutes from where this pictures where taken, but im sorry to say that i think this trailer was already removed from theyr page (thank god i could download it) ill try search another page for the trailer and if i find it ill put the link in here...
  • xanrastafarixanrastafari Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    The trailer is linked, (along with Dragon Quest V and Advent Children) on:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game122203.shtml
    edited December 2003
    that link don't Work (i tried it and say page dont found) because they removed it from the page it was (BIGLOBE) but ill try finding another way to put the trailer in here!! ( if the one XANRASTAFARI put don't work)

OK ill start working on that now...

• StrifeStrife New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I base games on the gameplay and story. So I can't really judge how it will be yet. But it does look cool so far graphics-wise.
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Yeah... I really like Balfear's (frea's, whatever tounge.gif) and Fran's character designs. Hopefully, they'll reveal a few more characters soon!
    edited December 2003
    For me, the elements that make up a game are too intermingled to exclude one. For instance, no matter how good the story is, if it were done with say ASCII art and the music was Ace of Base Unplugged, well, I just wouldn't be able to get into it no matter how great the plot is (not that there's a problem with ASCII art or Ace of Base going acapella...).

And let's face it, Final Fantasy games just haven't had it lately in the gameplay. Random battle's should've been done away with in 1995 when Chrono Trigger and EarthBound came out, and Final Fantasy X had some of the most boring obnoxious encounters in the whole series. There's a reason I don't play Final Fantasy 1 or 2 wink.gif. The battle system in X-2 was much quicker and I do love job systems, but it wasn't quite "fun" yet, it's just so quick you didn't notice that you're not doing anything, anything at all. But maybe that's just the cynic in me coming out. Graphics and story and such are easy to do right because people have standards for those, but there's nothing really new or interesting about battles anymore. Not a new school/old school thing, actually much the opposite- newer games should get even farther away from the old school games than they currently are.

Supposedly so far the battle system is going to be similar to Final Fantasy X-2's. Now if they can slow this down a bit and add in some of the strategy from Final Fantasy Tactics, we might get something really really special. And this does look like it's the case, so I have some really high expectations riding on this game.

The one thing I am worried about this game is the music. I know most of it isn't completed yet, but the music in that movie and the ambient music in FF12.com isn't what had hoped. But music is usually one of the last things done for video games so I'll just shut my trap and wait and see tounge.gif .

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while yes, plot and gameplay are very important, they wouldn't be anything by themselves. And we can't really judge those yet, but just guess about them. But what we can judge, graphics and animation, look great. And since the staff has previously worked on Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story, we can assume that the gameplay will be more intelligent, and the story deeper and more complex than of late. The only thing I'm really in the dark about is the music.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gregmight @ Dec. 30 2003,17:06)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Supposedly so far the battle system is going to be similar to Final Fantasy X-2's. Now if they can slow this down a bit and add in some of the strategy from Final Fantasy Tactics, we might get something really really special. And this does look like it's the case, so I have some really high expectations riding on this game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If they slowed it down and added strategy a la FF Tactics, then it wouldn't be similar to X-2's battle system at all, would it?

Also, keep in mind that what you consider "special" is completely different from what somebody else does. Thank you.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gregmight @ Dec. 30 2003,17:06)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Graphics and story and such are easy to do right because people have standards for those[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I really don't think that Graphics are easy to do right (if they were, then we would see how all RPG have the same quality as the graphics of FFX-2) and the story is even less easy to do right of course people have standards for the story for example:
    In Every rpg (generalizing) you have to save the world - BUT the real difference of all is THE JOURNEY you make to save it...

So i don't think that the story is easy to do...

Of course every game has to be judged as an all, and every part of it has to be good so it can be a really wonderfull game, if not is only going to be a good game or lower...

edited December 2003
    About graphics and story... I pretty much meant for Square. Square has lots of talent working there... and all the Final Fantasies are consistently good. Even FF8 which a lot of people find issues with has a great story... it could just use another revision or too. Also, I believe the story is generally the first things to get pinned down in a Final Fantasy (I could be wrong). But if the lead scenario writer/designer assigned to a Final Fantasy doesn't have a clue where to start, well, (s)he wouldn't have gottened assigned to a Final Fantasy to begin with.

Graphics are mostly a cost/time issue. Most smaller development houses COULD make graphics as good as Final Fantasy, they couldn't fill an entire game with that same quality. They have to sacrifice some quality to meet the needs of the game within the constrains of time. Square, however has money, and lots of it. If there isn't enough time, they hire more artists. Square's graphics look as good as they do because they spare no expense.

Let's also not forget that a lot of games look better, or at least, more interesting than Final Fantasies. Look at Chrono Cross, while some of the backgrounds were a bit too busy (namely the forest marsh), I feel those graphics outdo Final Fantasy VIII and IX which were released at the same time. Final Fantasy X/X-2 may be the best looking RPGs right now on PS2, but there's other games that look better, like Tekken 4 (granted, though, that there only have to be two characters on-screen at once there). And if you've seen the trailers for Xenosaga Episode II, the character redesigns of Shion, Jr., Momo, and chaos are amazing. There's so much life in them... as nice as FF12 may be, it's characters still seem a bit stiff. Although I think overall FF12 will still have better graphics... Xenosaga has the disadvantage of being in outer space and having to take place on space ships (although I think there'll be more variety in Ep II from video's I've seen), and some of the non-mocap animation doesn't look so hot.

You're right, Slayer of God, I think I spoke for too many people when I said something "special." When it comes out, lot's of people will love and hate FF12, it will guaranteedly sell millions of copies, and my opinion will be only a tiny fraction of all that.

Anyway, moving on, I think that X-2's battle system and the director's Tactical RPG background will fit in quite nicely, actually.

I like the, well, tactics that goes on in TRPG's, but their interfaces are awkward, they're too slow, and I haven't heard overly amazing things about their plots or graphics. So with my short attention span I have yet to get very far in either of the two I own (FFT and Disgaea). Tactics, however, have been one of Final Fantasies weaknesses of late. Final Fantasy X marks the return of them even trying to consider strategic elements, but these were skin deep... attack with the opposite magic, switch for someone with high accuracy or pierce, memorize this magical sequence, my attacks aren't doing anything but someone's telling me exactly how to solve the problem with machinery lying about that didn't do anything when I tried it myself a minute ago because I knew I'd be needing it, blah blah blah. It's like using a walkthrough to play Monkey Island or Myst. They tell you explicitly what to do so while it seems tricksy there's no thought involved.

Final Fantasy X-2 also brings back some interesting things. If one of your characters ends up behind an enemy, and it uses a "hit everyone" attack, it can usually only hit people on one side. Or, if one of your characters ends up between a gunner and an enemy, you'll end up shooting yourself. Placement is important. The only problem is that you don't really have control over it. While you shouldn't have to move someone almost every turn ala any tactical game, or a game like Star Ocean 2, it might be a nice option if you'd like to stop shooting Paine every turn or if you'd to scatter your characters so a giant attack will never kill everyone instantly.

Final Fantasy X-2 didn't really have much else in turns of strategy, it's mostly a button mashing style game. While it's fast gameplay made this less irritating then just about any other button mashing game, I'm not exactly thrilled every time a battle starts for an amazing, one of a kind experience. The game is largely repetitive.

The other major problem I have with X-2's battle system is that it's not well balanced. While it's nice that they want magic spells to take longer than attacks, it takes way too long to heal... meaning I have to be much more cautious than I want to be, because an enemy can get two to three hits in before I finish that spell. There's a few user interface problems... it's not as apparent in other games whose turn it is, and when changing garments in battle it's hard to see which garment you're choosing, and when you try and read the description (cause iit won't just say "Gun Mage") it's easy to forget that time's still moving and you need to be quick. These are things that generally would get fixed with a longer game testing period, or better yet, perfected when you bring in someone with a tactical RPG background where balance is an absolute necessity.

In short, take FFX-2's battle system, put in a pinch of TRPG know-how, and you've got a battle system to be reckoned with. (In my opinion, of course, I guess I need to be extra-explicit with pointing that out).
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    In that picture entitled "the butt shot," is that a PC wearing an actual thong that shows actual butt? Egads!!
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    picture: "Vaan on the ground"

I'm not even going there...
  • DominoDomino Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Again, I have no need for the pictures. I only want to know battle system details. Despite my best efforts, one of my brothers decided that FFX-2 would be a wonderful Christmas gift. I must agree with gregmight that the battle system is nice, but the positioning of the characters has been a bit of an irritation to me, as well as the speed. Suppose that there were a system similar to FFT, but moving one panel causes the timer to increase by one second, and if an enemy or another character's turn comes up, then the movement is paused for there turn to be executed. Granted, this would cause a lot of confusion, but if such a system could be implemented with an easy interface then I would be all for that. It would be the closest we could get to real time battle while keeping the control of a turn-based system.

• MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    When I looked at the first wedding picture thing, the first thing that popped into my head was "wtf how the crap did a FFX picture get posted as FFXII media?" Then I realized it actually was Ashe and not Yuna in a wedding outfit.

Anyways, lookin' good. Eagerly awaiting battle/magic system info though.
  • edited December 2003
    Yes, please will someone host the FFXII 7min 30sec video of FFXII!!! Please people. By the way...

As I said about two months ago, my Final Fantasy AMV was incomplete. I've managed to change at least two thirds of it, and also managed to include Final Fantasy VII-2 & FFXII bits in it. This is also the final version, and since I had University & BT (ISP) to deal with, I couldn't put this up sooner for download.

Anyway, I'll be putting up the link for a higher resolution one (55MB) in approximately 6 hours (That's all my 56k can go at *kicks stupid 56k modem*), and I won't get broadband again until the 8th:

Click here for the 20MB normal version

Don't bother replying - If you want to download a cool video, download this one, because it won't disappoint. smile.gif
    edited January 2004
    Square Enix i think told everybody (even Quiter)to remove that video from the web, because it is no where to be seen, the one i downloaded at Quiter is Gone, maybe im going to tell some of my friends at WRUANO (a fansub team) that put the bit torrent of that, if they put it ill give you all the link...
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martyr @ Dec. 31 2003,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"When I looked at the first wedding picture thing, the first thing that popped into my head was "wtf how the crap did a FFX picture get posted as FFXII media?" Then I realized it actually was Ashe and not Yuna in a wedding outfit.

Anyways, lookin' good. Eagerly awaiting battle/magic system info though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's Ashe? The girl's hair looks silver and I thought Ashe's was brown/blonde.
  • TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hehe, I think the characters in FFX and to a lesser extent FFXII look a bit stiff too.

But then, the Dead or Alive 2 graphics have spoiled me. I guess as someone mentioned, such detail is not easily achieved with many characters on the screen.

But the hair is the difference. In FFX - hair barely moves at all (DOES it move?) in DOA2, it moved smoothly and awesomely. Whenever Tidus got in the water, it felt weird that his hair didn't move smile.gif

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll enjoy FFXII a lot - I have every FF. Just not as much the last four....
    edited January 2004
    Yeah i agree, but DOA don't have to worry about inmense worlds, vast special effects (every magic, sumon, effects on the worlds, etc), and so on!!!

But im sure that with the next gen of consoles we are gonna see a VERY BIG improvement (the kind that makes us go WOW and to a point of complete non-sexual Extasis smile.gif ) in all those fields and im sure that even new ones are going to come out.. smile.gif
  • edited January 2004
    Final Fantasy does seem to have good graphics and most likely will, but i care more about the storyline and plot and characters more then what they look like. Of course great looking enviroments does make you feel good while playing. wink.gif
    edited January 2004
    Yeah I agree, But i wasnt't referring inly to FF, i was referring to the entire Market of gaming (even handled)

And yes A good story and good music is always more important than good grafics...
  • Twilight CloudTwilight Cloud Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Next gen of consoles...too bad I can only dream. Too bad it'll be awhile (I think) if my memory serves me right another console from sony wont be coming till at least 2006.
  • LightPhoenixLightPhoenix New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Well, to weigh in on the battle thing.

I too would like to see battles be a lot more strategic. I definitely don't want battles to be like FFT/FFTA/Vandal Hearts - it just wouldn't work.

However, FF has sorely lacked in the battle department. Mindless button mashing was great the first time I played an RPG, but not so now. I want to have to actually be involved in battles, instead of just always choosing my strongest attack. The problem isn't that the battle system sucks, it's that it's old. Even the people who started playing with FF7 have to be realizing this by now.

FF10 actually brought some strategy into the mix by requiring certain characters to use specialized attacks - a point which I think sorely hurt FF7 and FF8. Of course, this was all abandoned in the late game battles, where you pretty much never needed to use anyone but Tidus, Auron, and Yuna, with Lulu for the occasional physical immune enemy.

Which really brings me to the problem with FF - the challenging battles aren't challenging because they require thought. They're challenging because the enemies use attacks that either kill you instantly or do rediculous amounts of damage. That's not really challenging at all. FF10 was ironically the worst at this, at the Monster Arena (or whatever it was called).

If FF12 can address these issues (and use non-random encounters, because there's just no excuse any more) then I'll count it a success, even if the story sucks and the graphics suck and the music sucks. These are the areas that FF needs the least work in. They've already got them down pat. However, an overhaul of the battle system has been called for for a long time; it's the area that needs the most work. If they improve it at all, that's a success.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LightPhoenix @ Jan. 05 2004,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If FF12 can address these issues (and use non-random encounters, because there's just no excuse any more) then I'll count it a success, even if the story sucks and the graphics suck and the music sucks. ?These are the areas that FF needs the least work in. ?They've already got them down pat. ?However, an overhaul of the battle system has been called for for a long time; it's the area that needs the most work. ?If they improve it at all, that's a success.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes I agree. I would like to see something somewhat real time. Or semi real time.

Just wondering... But how did the battle system in FFIV work. What were the mechanics. Does someone just go when no one else is going? I liked that battle system it was fast.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Jan. 04 2004,22:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LightPhoenix @ Jan. 05 2004,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If FF12 can address these issues (and use non-random encounters, because there's just no excuse any more) then I'll count it a success, even if the story sucks and the graphics suck and the music sucks. ?These are the areas that FF needs the least work in. ?They've already got them down pat. ?However, an overhaul of the battle system has been called for for a long time; it's the area that needs the most work. ?If they improve it at all, that's a success.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes I agree. ?I would like to see something somewhat real time. ?Or semi real time. ?

Just wondering... But how did the battle system in FFIV work. ?What were the mechanics. ?Does someone just go when no one else is going? ?I liked that battle system it was fast.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i think that battle system relied on spd stats

i think they should make the battle system like grandia or something simlar where u can choose where you want to move to mgc and atks are area damge so you have to be tactical when using them and the stronger the atk to more slowdown the character receives thus meaning longer wait for their turn to come up like in FFX