The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Skies of Arcadia Flying to New Platform

2»

Comments

• VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    This thread was hilarious to read. Oh, and I'm sorry, but the RPGamer staff are in the right here. They didn't mislead us, we merely decided to mislead ourselves. Whose fault is it then?

Anyways.... which part of Sega developed SoA again? Whoever it is, they gotta start making money so that Sega stops porting games like SoA or PSO willy nilly all over the place. I mean...come on. How much money are they losing that it becomes more important to port FOUR-YEAR old games to sell disappointingly instead of creating some actual new content?

Carmine M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
  • PersonThingPersonThing Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rage @ Jan. 02 2004,20:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Do you think the online extras available in the DC version that were omitted from the Cube version will return?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, all the downloadable content for the Dreamcast version is in the Gamecube version.

Now if you meant "will there be an option to download new content, as there was in the DC version but not the GC one?" then I don't know. They'd have to make it some really good content to interest me anyway, since I've already bought the game twice. Even if they did, I highly doubt I'd bother to import the game. so it doesn't really matter to me.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neuromancer @ Jan. 02 2004,20:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, seeing as how the second post in this thread (the first post by liquid) was about the success of console RPGs on the PC, my post fits in quite nicely thank you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Right. Read again:

very tangental take on a news posting and an idle comment to attempt to start a discussion

It was a single idle sentence among a paragraph commenting on the news post, which is what I said. Again, why not make a topic for it and leave this for...discussion of the japanese PC port of Skies of Arcadia?

Re: Actual topic

Well, I'd use the 'repackage childhood, sell back" line, but it's not really old enough for that. : \.

Dracos
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyways.... which part of Sega developed SoA again?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Overworks

Sega's game development teams are some of the most experienced in the industry, and perhaps no group typifies this more than Overworks. The people that make up Overworks are true veterans, and have had a hand in many of the games Sega is most known for, especially in the RPG realm. Since becoming its own company, Overworks has released hit games in Japan such as Sakura Taisen 3 and Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen, along with the definitive Dreamcast RPG, Skies of Arcadia.

Overworks originally started as Sega's second consumer R&D department in 1996. When Sega's internal game divisions became individual companies in 2000, Overworks was formed under the leadership of president Noriyoshi Ohba. Overworks is short for "Over Quality Works," a name that reflects the company's commitment to top-quality titles. The members of Overworks have a long history with Sega, and have worked on such distinguished Sega series as Phantasy Star, Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi, and Streets of Rage.

Overworks had several hits in Japan for the Sega Saturn. Headlining the list is the Sakura Taisen (Sakura Wars) series. These games were an unlikely match of mecha-based strategy role-playing combined with anime-influenced love simulation (where players try to woo the girls within the game). Sakura Taisen ranks as one of Sega's most popular series in Japan. Other Saturn titles by Overworks include Riglord Saga 2, Deep Fear, and ports of Sega Rally Championship and Daytona USA.

No great game system is complete without an epic RPG. To create the Dreamcast's premier role-playing experience, Sega turned to perhaps their finest RPG producer, Rieko Kodama. Dubbed the "First Lady of RPGs," Kodama was the main designer of Phantasy Star I, II, and IV. Of course, no great RPG is complete without an engaging story, and Shuntaro Tanaka (scenario writer for Sakura Taisen) was enlisted to write the thousands of pages of text. With all the pieces in place, Overworks began developing what would be a landmark RPG -- Skies of Arcadia.

Skies of Arcadia was nothing short of breathtaking. The game presented a swashbuckling adventure set in a world of boundless sky, where Air Pirates set sail in search for discoveries from an ancient age. Unparalleled graphics greeted players at each port of call, while a rich, compelling story kept the world in motion. Skies of Arcadia was a critical success, and was nominated for Game of the Year by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.

While Skies of Arcadia is the only Overworks Dreamcast title to make it to the States, they had a couple of other hits in their homeland. Their first Dreamcast title, Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen, is something of a groundbreaker. This collection of hot spring-themed mini-games (including mahjongg, poker, and UNO) was the first online Dreamcast title in Japan. In addition, Overworks developed Sakura Taisen 3 and 4, the next chapters in their smash strategy/RPG/dating series.

Overworks Highlights: 1996 Sakura Taisen
    Riglord Saga 2 (Saturn)
    (Saturn)
    1998 Sakura Taisen 2
    Deep Fear (Saturn)
    (Saturn)
    1999 Atsumare! Guru Guru Onsen (Dreamcast)
    2000 Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)
  • NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ugh, Dracos, if you could look further than a few inches from your face (metaphoricaly speaking; figured I'd point that out before you missed that as well), you'd see how my post DIRECTLY relates to the PC port of skies of arcadia.

The success of the PC port of SOA is more dependant on the mindset of PC gamers and their expectations of an RPG than they are on the quality of the game itself. Having established that, I then discussed what I believe to be these mind sets. I thought I was very clear in my post.

Now, if that doesn't directly relate to the PC port of SOA, I'd like to know why.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Well, that was a dissapointment. I was hoping for the game to hit the PS2. I guess "new platform" WAS misleading. After all, what exactly does "new platform" mean? A platform that just came out? Like the Nokia system? (I know, I was just giving an example.) Or does it mean that it's out for a "new platform" such as the PS2? Yes the PS2, since it never has this game before, and therefore, is considered new too. You see, "new platform" can mean different things.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Certain folks around here sure are touchy. Maybe I'm too laid back to notice any offense in LiQuid!'s posts.... and those other people who've gotten jumped on.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Didn't you know that if a comment is close to "touching" something of "yours" that you'll take it personally?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And now, put yourself in the writer's position. ?Think about what little information would be left if I had used your suggested title. ?Not much at all. ?Why would I write the whole story in the headline? ?The readers might as well read THIS story if that's how it works.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, the "full story" isn't that full anyway, even with the added news of it hitting the Japanese PC.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sega and OverWorks' sky-sailing RPG Skies of Arcadia will be available on yet another game platform soon. Some time this winter, Sega plans to bring the game to Japanese PC gamers.

Whether the new port will be of the original Dreamcast game or the bonus-packed GameCube title Skies of Arcadia Legends was not clarified, but it would be safe to assume that the extras in the GameCube title will also be present on PC. No plans to ship the PC version outside of Japan were mentioned.
    I got this from the full story. Look at the first sentence. That's extra and doesn't say much else. We already know that from the headers on the main page.

Now, if you put the second sentence on the "abstract" in the main news page than you still have the second paragraph. The the second paragraph is still valid to be considered as news that is part of the "full story".

SO when you point out "</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Skies of Arcadia Coming To Japanese PC's ?
    01.02.2004 ?

Heath Hindman
    STAFF REPORTER

This winter. That is all.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>" it seems extra "empty" because you excluded your second paragraph from the real "full story".

Anyway, that's my voice on some of the things here. I'm just trying to be logical. I agree that catchy titles and "abstract" draws attention of the readers to the "full story" but then again, it must not be misleading either. I know that Cain is saying that it is the readers fault for "jumping to conclusion" or for misleading themselves, but it is also the author's responsibility to reduce the misleaded-ness. (Lol. I can't think of a word for that. tounge.gif ) Like a board member here already said, if this was applied to the real world, I think many people will not be too happy. *Over and out. smile.gif *
  • VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Jan. 02 2004,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Overworks[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm sure Overworks is a great company.

It's just that... Hasn't Sega been getting excessively port crazy as of late? I'd rather I saw new titles than 3 year old DC ports.

Carmine M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
  • Matt1plus1Matt1plus1 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hmm..well, I already own SoA: Legends for Gamecube, but it's always nice to see a beloved game get more exposure, no matter how little. I do feel SoA is a bit of untapped franchise, unfortunately. The potential for a really unique series is there, but it seems lackluster sales have doomed it to remain a "one hit wonder" forever. But alas, here's hoping that's not true.

But of course, PC ports almost NEVER turn out very well, or get cancelled altogether. Remember Lunar for PC? Waiting and waiting..and then it gets dropped and we get a PSX rerelease with amateur fan-art on the discs. Oh well..
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually, all the downloadable content for the Dreamcast version is in the Gamecube version.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *Rage learns something new every day*
    Sweet. ?As you could probably tell from my question, I haven't played very much of Legends yet--still early in that version of the game. ?

Also, thank you, Aaediyen, for that history of OverWorks. ?I didn't know most of that stuff. ?Sweet.

Meanwhile...</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I guess "new platform" WAS misleading. After all, what exactly does "new platform" mean? A platform that just came out? Like the Nokia system? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So if I said "The Pittsburgh Penguins will be moving to a new city," would you think that someone was going to buy some land a build a city, then move Mario and his boys into it?
    "New Platform" means one the game hasn't been on yet. ?It could even be the Sega Master System. ?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Or does it mean that it's out for a "new platform" such as the PS2? Yes the PS2, since it never has this game before, and therefore, is considered new too. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Let us now play "the logic game." ?How in the world does "New Platform" mean PS2? ?It doesn't. ?That could also mean Xbox or GBA, since the game hasn't been there, either. ?In fact, let's take a brief look at DC RPG series/port history:
    Shenmue = DC to Xbox.
    Phantasy Star Online = DC to GameCube to Xbox.
    Skies of Arcadia = DC to GameCube to "New"

Now why on earth would you put PS2 in for "New"? ?That breaks the rules of "the logic game." ?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You see, "new platform" can mean different things.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Can it really? Wow, thanks. ?Since you're such a fountain of knowlege, should I wear a coat when it's cold outside?

Moving on,
    I'm not familiar with a grand variety of MMORPGs, so I must ask of the rest of you if the sky-sailing air pirate style found in SoA has been used in that department yet. ?If not, I think the setting/world of SoA could make a decent MMORPG, with some tweaking, of course.

• CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (watcher @ Jan. 02 2004,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"insert his post here
    There is no "hypocritical" here in terms of wording. She used the word "forced". As she did she was corrected. She complained about the blurb forcing her to read the story. She was corrected. She told staff to shove it. She was corrected.

Honestly, I clicked on the story and my eyes went to "Sky, PC, Japan". If you were hasty in drawing a conclusion by just the blurb it is not our fault. This should be a lesson learned for you for future blurbs. If you find what is said interesting, read it. If you disagree, come on here and say you do politely and respectfully. You do NOT come here telling people they forced you to read, it's wrong, and this site should change for you.

Japanese news does not go into just Japandemonium. We do not segregate our news, if it's important RPG news, it's on RPGamer.

Also, I am a journalist as well as a writer. Heath did nothing wrong journalistically. In fact, he did exactly the design of the elements of journalism. It's not his fault a bunch of kids think everything should be spelled out up front so they can either read or ignore it. Who knows, maybe this story, in a month, will be known as the precursor for a US PC release.

Will you be kicking yourself then?

Now, as a moderator and not as a debate participant we need to get back on topic away from this. The staff has pretty spoken on this and any more discussion is beating the horse.

• edited January 2004
    Ok, I thought I made it abundantly clear that I did, in fact, have a penis? ?Yes, good... smile.gif

Cain, stop being angry. ?I said I didn't mean 'forced,' and I admitted that I was wrong in using that word (I even got a Rico-lashing - first time in weeks!). ?Though from the context of my post I thought it was pretty clear that I meant more like coaxed or tricked. I DID make many a suggestion in my post regardless of how badly you want to skew my quotes as mere whining. ?While we've all established that Heath did nothing wrong, I'm not the only one who has spoken opinion about this matter, so take it for what it's worth.

...So RPGamer staff, unlock elbows and stand down as my supposed onslaught has been over since before it even started. ?I still love you all, I still love this site, and I'm not going to stop reading it because of something so minor it's almost off the charts completely.

Oh and I should probably say it again since you don't seem to have read more than my first post: ?I'm sorry that emotion and light heartedness doesn't translate well over typed text, but my posts were not meant to be heavy handed (and usually never are). ?I don't think you guys are really 'dorks' and I don't want you to shove anything, unless of course you really want to shove it in the first place. smile.gif
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    That LiQuid! girl is just a liar, she wishes she was a guy. tounge.gif

Earlier in this thread someone asked what you think of when you think of a PC RPG. Honestly, it depends on the country the game is made in. I have been importing PC games for a while, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese games are just like the console games made from that country. When it comes to a US game, then I'll picture a Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights type of RPG.

Since I have SOA Legends, I have no urge to buy thing particular release.
  • edited January 2004
    Yeah I think the overall design is pretty much affected by the country it was developed in, more than whether or not it's on the PC or a console. As Viper said, in China, Japan, and Korea, there have been what we consider "console style" RPG's available on the PC for a while. 2 really popular examples are the highly lauded Magna Carta and the War of Genesis series. Of course a good generalization could still be made that for the most part PC styled RPG's produced outside of Asia tend to be on the non-linear or open ended side (I'm thinking your BG-esque RPG's or the Elder Scrolls series), while most console style RPG's tend to be more story-centric and linear by comparison. I personally would love to see more Asian developed RPG's appearing on the PC here in the states. Hell even a US developed game influenced by Asian style (though we've seen how those fare even on consoles) And not neccessarily just ports of old console RPG's...
  • GhostGhost Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Man...that's lame. Japanese PCs? Who the hell cares about that?

I, also, would really like to see a SoA sequel. Wouldn't even need to have the same characters...you could be like, Vyse's grandson or something. Or maybe an officer of the Valuan Navy, that'd be something. Or, since the game creatively paralleled a period of real world-history, they could take it forward a couple hundred years and parallel the Victorian era for example.

Although if they made a sequel, I'd cry if it came out on the PC. My PC can't run squat. That's why I loves my consoles.

And for the headline debate, my opinions follow:
    "Skies of Arcadia ports to Japanese PCs, US release unconfirmed" - I read newspapers. That's how headlines usually work.

Cain, in some post long ago somewhere else (that I can't remember) mentioned to someone else that RPGamer is an English-language gaming site- ergo not catering primarily to folks in countries who don't speak English. So by his own allowance this "story" isn't all that significant, except to the minority of folks who like to play games in Japanese when they could just as well play them in English.

So it seems a logical and not-at-all-insulting suggestion that future similar headlines might give an indication as to who'll be interested in the article.

And, no, people shouldn't assume PS2 when you don't state a console. But on the same note, go ahead and state a console when there's only one to state. Because while "console" CAN mean "N*Gage, SNES, and Intellivision" in this particular instance it was referring to only one, very specific, console.

But then, as others before me, I end this segment by saying "Do whatever you want, really." I wasted more time composing this criticism than was wasted by accidentally reading a short article that didn't interest me. It's really no skin off my back so don't get offended.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Japanese PCs? Who the hell cares about that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>Lots of people, apparently.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""Skies of Arcadia ports to Japanese PCs, US release unconfirmed" - I read newspapers. That's how headlines usually work.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> Actually, no; if that were the whole story, the headline certainly wouldn't work like that.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Cain, in some post long ago somewhere else (that I can't remember) mentioned to someone else that RPGamer is an English-language gaming site- ergo not catering primarily to folks in countries who don't speak English.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The key word there is "primarily." We do, in fact, primarily cater to the English-speaking North American audience. But, just because a game is not in English doesn't mean it's out of place to cover it. You know, most of our games are released in Japan first wink.gif
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So by his own allowance this "story" isn't all that significant, except to the minority of folks who like to play games in Japanese when they could just as well play them in English[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So should we not be covering Baten Kaitos, Wild ARMs Alter Code: F, Kingdom Hearts II, FF7: AC, FFX-2 International, or other such things without confirmed US release dates?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Because while "console" CAN mean "N*Gage, SNES, and Intellivision" in this particular instance it was referring to only one, very specific, console.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Was it, really? Wow. None of us even realized that....
  • Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Can't we all just get along.

But ya. I was also hoping that it would be released on the PS2. I played it on game cube. It's an amazing game. It has a good story. It's a shame that a lot of people don't know about it.

I hope they come out with a sequel.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Crimson Flame @ Jan. 05 2004,08:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But ya. I was also hoping that it would be released on the PS2. I played it on game cube. It's an amazing game. It has a good story. It's a shame that a lot of people don't know about it.

I hope they come out with a sequel.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was also originally hoping for that also, but when it became known that it wasn't going that direction, I just bought a ridiculously cheap Dreamcast with SoA, as well as a few other seriously great games. ?That in mind, I suppose for me it was actually kind of good that it didn't hit PS2...heh. ?

As for the sequel, to quote a news story from March:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"While being interviewed by Kikizo, Overworks president Noriyoshi Ohba said, "The Skies of Arcadia sequel is in the planning stages at the moment."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nothing has come up to announce the cacelation of those plans, so for now, looking forward to the sequel is not unreasonable. ?Personally, I can't wait.

• CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Jan. 03 2004,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Cain, stop being angry.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just a little note: You have yet to see me angry. You've seen me chastize, defend, and argue. You haven't even seen the beginning of me angry.

As for Skies...I have to ask why would everyone scream for it on PC knowing you can simply get it for a console system?
  • vherubvherub Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Clearly many of you must have enjoyed skies to stretch this topic out so thin, but i never saw the beauty in the game. Is it fun and different to pilot an airship, build the pieces and collect a crew while gaining experience and exploring a world, yes, certainly, but the game is literally torn apart by random battles. When a game makes you dread exploring a dungeon because another annoying battle screen will pop up, then it has a serious flaw, especially if the game is based upon the concepts of exploration. Battles should not be a process of casting the quickest spell to defeat the enemy in the shortest amount of time, or pointless battles where the enemy is far weaker and yet the fight still takes place. What this game requires in a sequel, or another port is to drastically diminish the chances of random encounters as a game area gets cleared out, the game can stand on is own without the extra padding, and to further battles the look of the gameworld goes against chance encounters, since you can see unhindered usually. I think had this game originally been released on a console that already had a large field of quality rpgs it would have gone far less noticed, similarly to the fate of halo had it only been released on the pc.
  • edited January 2004
    Yeah, exactly, man. That's what I felt a lot, too.

Plus, that whole Aika "YAYYYYYY!!!" thing.

• SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I first bought Skies because Rpgamer had SUCH huge praise for it. My highexpectations were met warmly when i played that great game. It's a shame it's only coming to PC and only in Japan..
  • Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Yes! A sequel. This is so exciting.

I still have to buy the game. I can't find it anywhere though.
  • sharkysharky New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ok I love skies and IF it comes out on PC over here
    I will buy it. i have it on GC and DC and its one of my favret
    games of all time.

But I'd much prefer a Skies 2 then a PC version of the first.