If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Top 3 RPG

RuinRuin MemberFull Members
edited October 2004 in Role Playing Games
I've been pleased with thread participation recently, and as such, created this thread. Only putting 3 rpgs gives you the opportunity to post in depth reasons for your decisions. I look forward to everyone's posts, as they usually intrigue me. biggrin.gif

Comments

• RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Do you mean top 3 people are aniticipating, top 3 that are currently consuming our time, top 3 of the year, or top 3 favorite RPGs?
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    All time, in no order:

Disgaea, Secret of Mana, Suikoden II

That wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. In fact I only had to think on it for about 10 seconds...
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Suikoden II - Everything I liked about Suikoden I, done with enough "Wouldn't it be cool if..." bells and whistles, better army battles, and the cooking game. ?God, I loved the cooking game! ?The only thing I missed was that I felt Suikoden I had better villains all around (Luca Blight notwithstanding).

Star Ocean 2 - I'm convinced Claude is a carbon copy of Cless from Tales of Phantasia and the plot is just kinda there, but damned if it's not fun to play. ?Item creation, lots of character-combo endings, a good battle system and plenty of secret stuff give this baby quite a bit of replayability.

Lunar: Eternal Blue - Working Designs = gold. ?Great characters, beautiful anime sequences, lots of extras scattered here and there, a second ending, no random battles (!)... just some solid, candy-coated fun all the way around.

There's a bunch of others that are pretty close for me (FF 9, Secret of Mana, Wild ARMs to name a few), but if I had to pick just three, those are the ones I go through the most often and had the most fun with.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Xenogears, Planescape: Torment, Final Fantasy Tactics
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    GROWLANSER
    A mostly intriguing story, great characters and a beautiful soundtrack are a few of this games highlights, but what really makes it spectacular is the briliant battle system. It's sort of a cross between real-time and turn-based. You basically select an action for your characters (fight, move, defend, magic, item...) and they will perform the task until they complete it or you interrupt them to set a new task. When actually fighting, your characters and the enemies take turns attacking each because their actions are limited by the charge meter. Every action you perform has a wait time; it's fairly short when using items or physically attacking, but it can extend to varying degrees of lengthiness for the spells (generally, the stronger the spell, the longer the time it takes to cast).
    Of course, you can circumvent long charge times thanks to the ability system. Each of your characters has a list of skills that they can learn. There's so many that it would be impossible to learn them all, but you can at least master a good 75% of them. Some of the skills are magic spells, such as "Fireball", "Lightning", "Earthquake", "Soulforce" or my favorite, "Meteor". Other skills supplement your characters abilities. Examples would be "Short Spell Charge", "Short Item Use Charge", "Fast Battle Movement", "HP Up 1 through 3", "MP Up 1 through 3" and so forth. The remainder improve your abilities in battle, such as "Critical 1 through 3", "Split Image" and the various negative status inflicting attacks (all of which have three levels).
    Kinda went overboard, huh? ?laugh.gif Oh well.
    Anyway, the battles are interesting. Oftentimes your goal isn't to simply "Defeat all enemies". You might also have to protect villagers. In one instance, you'll be involved (behind the scenes) in a battle between the Burnstein Kingdom Army and the Ranzack Kingdom Army. Your goal is to get each army to believe that the other side is trying to instigate a battle with them. However, you can't wipe out either army entirely; if you do, it's "Game Over". To make matters more interesting, you can't allow yourself to be seen by the General of the Burnstein Army either. It's a pretty clever battle ?smile.gif
    The story is good, but filled with a handful of cheesy plot twists, such as the time "<span class="spoiler">you fight Gevel in the Resort Home in Rachel. It turns out that Belgar, the man that defeated Gevel a few years prior, is also the Mercenary Army General that Wallace has been searching for all these years. He's also Karen and Xenos' father. Since Wallace, Karen (and possibly Xenos if you included him in your party) and, as an NPC, Belgar are present in this battle, you find this all out at the same time. Corny.</span>" The other plot twists are great though. The reason that Carmine looks exactly like the Flesh Golems is too good to spoil, so I'll let you find that one out on your own ?laugh.gif
    It also has a New Game + feature and 5 possible endings. In addition to that, there's an "Omake Room" accessible from the title screen after you beat the game the first time. It contains the entire soundtrack, summaries for all the endings (some of which have great titles, such as Karen's "Maximum Powered Love" ending ?laugh.gif ) that you have seen so far, an image gallery of all the still anime scenes used in the game (plus some bonus Urushihara art), and finally, a massive collection of messages from the various voice actors in the game.
    Is it any wonder that a game this good is one of my favorites?

SaGa FRONTIER
    Yeah, yeah. I know this game isn't technically very good. I'll admit that it has more flaws than strong points. But I love the soundtrack, the graphics (aside from those during battle) and the characters. One of the big problems with SaGa Frontier is that it has a surprisingly deep world, though you'd never know it unless you buy the supplementary "The Essence of SaGa Frontier" guidebook which gives a mind-numbingly thorough explanation of the SaGa Frontier world and character backgrounds.
    Mostly I like this game because it has unparalleled atmosphere. I'll never forget the time I?started Assellus' quest and wandered around Rootville ?smile.gif
    Beautiful. The music and the background graphics just worked so perfectly together. Plus, SaGa Frontier has one of my favorite RPG characters: Princess Rei! ?laugh.gif

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI
    The two sequels actually had deeper gameplay, so I'm choosing this one because of nostalgia. Shin Megami Tensei was the first game I'd ever played from the series (including spinoffs) and I remember being completely in awe when I saw all the thing you could do in this game. Rather than constantly fight demons, you can choose to engage in conversation with them. If you successfully gain their interest, they give you money (Yen at first, Makka later on), items, or Magnetite (a substance used to give devils a physical form; a must if you plan on having them in your party). However, the goal is to have the demon join your party. Once on your side, you can take them to a Jakyou Manor and fuse them (as little as two at a time and up to three at a time) to create better demons.
    Your character can be one of three alignments, according to the types of actions you take. The alignments are Law, Neutral and Chaos. Whats really impressive is that your alignment has noticable effects on the gameplay. If you are Law, you can't have Chaos demons in your party or use Chaos specific weapons, and vice versa. Neutral characters can't get the most powerful of either the Law or Chaos demon roster and Neutral demons generally suck in comparison. However, Neutral characters are able to get the games most powerful sword, so it all evens out. Alignment even determines who the final boss will be, which in turn effects the ending you get. The story is good, but the gamplay is where this series really shines.

• GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ummm...ok.

1. Breath of Fire III
    Why: Great story, colorful world and the best dragon gene system ever made this my top pick. I never loved a game so much.

2. Xenogears
    Why: Although I still don't get the story, it makes #2 because of the huge world and good battle system.

3. Lunar: Silver Star Stroy Complete
    Why: Great, funny characters and colorful world makes this game my 3rd pick. Story is good, but I mostly loved its characters.

Other Mentionable picks:

Suikoden II
    Alundra
    Breath of Fire IV
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    No particular order,

Suikoden II-What Karlinn said, it took all the aspects of an already great game, Suikoden I, and made them even better.

Final Fantasy Tactics-Wonderful startegy game with a great story and even greater characters.

Chrono Trigger-I honestly just truly loved this game, the game that I can easily say I've replayed the most(although admittedly not very hard to do tounge.gif ) Fire fanboy jokes at will, just not in the face or the testicles biggrin.gif .
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • avsavs Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1. Chrono Trigger: Easily my #1 RPG. I have beat this game (not new game+) atleast 5 times... For its time, I thought it was a beautiful game.

2. Breath of Fire IV: Uh... If you haven't played this game, you should. It's semi anime inspired, and it's pretty deep. FOU LOU! Magic combos, and wonderfully animated 2d graphics.. I LOVE this game.

3. Suikoden II: For reasons already mentioned. A funny thing is, the characters are almost all memorable. And that's pretty astounding considering there are 108 of them.
  • Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    My goodness, although this will be next to impossible for me to answer, I'll try my best (My favorite games change from week to week hehe...)

Breath of Fire V, Valkyrie Profile, Persona
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Legend of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Valkyrie Profile.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1. Planescape: Torment. By a mile. Best plot I've ever seen in a game, no ifs, ands or buts. The setting is unique, characters are unusual but still extraordinarily well flesh out, in motivation, background and personality. The unique status of Nameless allows for player control of the character that rivals anything in the PC world, while still maintaining massive amounts of history and personality outdoing anything on the consoles. The music is well done, the voice acting is top notch, combat is secondary to conversation.

2. Fallout 2: Beautiful setting, brilliant gameplay mechanics. Best armor system I've ever seen, interesting weapons and settings. Lots to do, and it's interesting, but NPC allies are on the lifeless side, and the game just doesn't have the sheer volume of intertwining backstory Torment does. Still a top notch game though, which unfortunately will never see a proper sequel, but will likely see at least two soul sucking abominations of spin-off games that should never happen. Alas, poor Fallout, I knew him Horatio.

3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: No, I don't care if you don't think it's an RPG. I think it's RPG enough to be on this list, and more importantly, it's simply beautiful, executed with precision and love from start to finish. It has variety, it drama, it has plenty of areas and bosses, and every last bit is executed flawlessly.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention Valkyrie Profile. Kick ass game, definitely a sleeper hit of that time period.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 03 2004,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: ?No, I don't care if you don't think it's an RPG. ?I think it's RPG enough to be on this list, and more importantly, it's simply beautiful, executed with precision and love from start to finish. ?It has variety, it drama, it has plenty of areas and bosses, and every last bit is executed flawlessly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i havent played that game in ages its the best in the series defintly i wanna a copy!

anyway my top 3 that ive played

Grandia 2 (ps2/DC)
    good characters brillant battle system both tactical and fast paced, nice animations

Final fantasy 7 and 8 (PSX)
    i can never decide which of the two i like best

Tales of phantasia (GBA,PSX,SNES)
    very good game especially for its era good battle system and story which takes a twist at the end

Top 3 im lookin fwd to
    Kingdom hearts 2
    Loved the first game lots of mini games can chose what character specializes hoping u can play as others in 2nd game

Final fantasy 12
    im hoping that this will be like ff9 but better characters which are customizable and have obvious strengths and weaknesses allowing for strategy

Star ocean 3
    this series boasts a good battle system which relies on wit concentration and not blinking
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Simple...

3. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX (Tie) - As opposite as these two games are, they're easily my favorite games of the series since they bear so many traits that I've fallen in love with from earlier installments.

2. Xenogears - The feel of this game is strictly anime. ?The approach here is just so different from other RPGs since it takes its world so seriously; there aren't many comic-relief moments but the interactions are still realistic.

1. Chrono Trigger - Uh, yeah... figure it out.

Games that almost made it: Final Fantasy VI and Suikoden II

• RiotRiotRiotRiot Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1) Final Fantasy VI - Probably just because of the good memories I have of it... the characters ruled, Kefka is easily the sweetest villain I have encountered, I don't remember much about the music.. I love how each of the characters had different abilities, but could all use the same magic, the Doma scenes were pretty touching.. beautiful graphics for its time.. and when it came out in the US, there was nothing like it that I could find. It was simply epic.

2) Chrono Trigger - Just so much friggin' fun.

3) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - I'm just getting into it, but it's one of those games that I just don't want to put down. This is definately the funniest game I have ever played, and the storyline is pretty good.
  • peloipeloi Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Disgaea - Can't stop playing this, on my second run, very enjoyable, a must for srpg fans, one of few games to actually make me laugh.

Shadowrun(megadrive version) - Much better than boring snes version, what rpg should be like.

Saga Frontier - play this aleast once a year, love leveling system.
  • DragonsoulDragonsoul Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    That's kinda hard to narrow down...How about my top five?
    In no particular order...

-Chrono Trigger
    -Final Fantasy I
    -Final Fantasy VI
    -Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    -Final Fantasy X
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Uhhh ... this is tough ... okay i'll just try:

Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy VI
    Xenogears

oh mann ... but there a so much more that i loved ... ff 7+9+10+tactics and i would have loved suikoden 2 if i hadn't had it in german with some truely horrible translation mistakes (some?! in every sentence was at least one)
    Ohhh ... and i've forgotten to mention SoM 1 and 2 and Breath of fire 2 and ... ah .. i'll just leave it as it is ...
    okay the wild ARMs were all cool ... yeah yeah I'll stop
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Final Fantasy VII
    Well, it marks the beginning of FF's maturing. It's darker, more adult and a tad deeper than any of the FF's before it. Also, the characters ooze with personality and you can't help but feel for at least one of them as if they were real. And finally, the materia system rules. smile.gif

Star Ocean:The Second Story
    First off, the battle system is simply AWESOME!!!!!! My favorite battle system of any RPG, ever. The story is deep and original, as are the characters, which makes liking them very easy. The setting is very cool, i mean, sci-fi meets fantasy! space age meets dark age! Planets, aliens and space crafts with cool gizmos, but also orges, swords and wizards! That's cool! 75 plus endings, many, MANY skills and abilities for your character, you can't possibly get bored of this game.

Skies Of Arcadia
    Sega's Final Fantasy. Great, involving story, very lighthearted and likeable characters, cool and unique setting (Pirates Of The Carribean, but in the sky!) equally unique magic system, fresh, yet traditional battle system and those stratagy inspired ship battles. This game does everything so right and leaves you satisfied like few other RPGs ever have or ever will.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FF_Freak_4_Life @ Jan. 07 2004,10:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Final Fantasy VII
    Well, it marks the beginning of FF's maturing. It's darker, more adult and a tad deeper than any of the FF's before it. Also, the characters ooze with personality and you can't help but feel for at least one of them as if they were real. And finally, the materia system rules. ?smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In my opinion, Final Fantasy IV marked the beginning of FF's maturing (perhaps III did, but I haven't played that yet). Both IV and VI had very dark and, especially in the case of VI, deep plots. I actually think both FFVI and FFVII are exactly as deep, only in very different ways. Also, FFVI had a lot more background story for more of the characters than just those which were important for the main plot.

Just to point out, there are a lot of people who believe the exact opposite of your statement, that the FF series has gone backwards ever since it moved to the more recent platforms (save for graphics development and such).
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FF_Freak_4_Life @ Jan. 07 2004,03:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Final Fantasy VII
    Well, it marks the beginning of FF's maturing. It's darker, more adult and a tad deeper than any of the FF's before it. Also, the characters ooze with personality and you can't help but feel for at least one of them as if they were real. And finally, the materia system rules. ?smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And you are an idiot.

Alright time for my top 3.

1. ?Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - Yes I know I rant and rave about this game all the time.. if you have played it then you would know why it is so great. ?If not then download the rom for SNES since it is not available for purchase anymore. It only runs on SNES9X.

2. ?Elder Scrolls Chapter 1: Arena - I bought this game right when it came out for 70 dollars! ?I did not know what I was buying. ?And to tell you the truth I was hesitant. ?This game was everthing I wanted it it be. ?It was like another world for myself to live in. ?Which worked out well because I was grounded at the time smile.gif.

3. ?Tales Of Phantasia, Star Ocean 1, Suikoden 2 - I can't decide which one to pick for third place. ?This sucks.

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Quote (FF_Freak_4_Life @ Jan. 07 2004,03:39)
    Final Fantasy VII
    Well, it marks the beginning of FF's maturing. It's darker, more adult and a tad deeper than any of the FF's before it. Also, the characters ooze with personality and you can't help but feel for at least one of them as if they were real. And finally, the materia system rules.

And you are an idiot.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Always nice to insult someone without giving a reason wink.gif
    You could at least: "say you are an idiot because you'r talking ########" or anything simular biggrin.gif
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Muus @ Jan. 07 2004,05:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Always nice to insult someone without giving a reason ?wink.gif
    You could at least: "say you are an idiot because you'r talking ########" or anything simular ?biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nah, I don't think I need a reason. Better to keep it short and simple so then I don't have to deal with the "FFVII was my first rpg because I liked the graphics" kids.

I guess a black man with a gun (very stereotypical) that curses is mature.

There I gave you my reason.
    edited January 2004
    Luke, YOU'RE an idiot. Oh, and if you asking for a reason why I said that just note this:

Nah, I don't think I need a reason. Better to keep it short and simple so then I don't have to deal with the "I'm too lazy/stupid/arrogant to actually defend my statement" kids.

*shrugs*
    edited January 2004
    Now now little fellas wow.gif
    Be nice and give each other a hug smile.gif
    What is it with kiddos able to use a pc and connect to the internet to always be that agressive eh.gif
    Now calm down and go play a rpg where you can bash a few monsters biggrin.gif
    edited January 2004
    There's really no hard feelings, Muus. I just decided to dish back what he dished out. If you noticed he didn't even bash me...it just annoys me when someone flames someone else without giving a reason.
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I havn't played many so probably:

Skies Of arcadia - GC
    Golden sun - GBA
    Mario And luigi - GBA

Remember I havn't played that many but i'm now getting into rpgs
    i have gc+gba and this year im getting/want:

[/B]Tales of Symphonia
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I havn't played many so probably:

Skies Of arcadia - GC
    Golden sun - GBA
    Mario And luigi - GBA

Remember I havn't played that many but i'm now getting into rpgs
    i have gc+gba and this year im getting/want:

[/B]Tales of Symphonia
    Final Fantasy CC
    Harvest Moon:Wonderful Life
    Baten Kaitos
    Sword Of Mana GBA
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dragonsoul @ Jan. 07 2004,09:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"There's really no hard feelings, Muus. I just decided to dish back what he dished out. If you noticed he didn't even bash me...it just annoys me when someone flames someone else without giving a reason.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I gave one of my reasons (points up about barret).

I just figured I would start the name calling early. ?No matter how hard I try not to name call some one usually does it to me first. ?So I started out fast smile.gif. Oh yea... You are an idiot too.

• King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Final Fantasy IV

To me, this was the pinnace, and due to arrogant nostalgia (I can admit it) remains one of my favorites to this day. I cannot count even on twenty hands how many times I have played through this chapter in the series. When I imagine the perfect fantasy setting, I picture the world of FFIV.

Skies of Arcadia

A basic story fueled by unbeatable characters and locales, it was a classic in its own right. Now, to get my hands on Legends...

Suikoden II

Lack of spellcheck notwithstanding, Suikoden II has the best story out of any RPG. Period. Yes, that's right, even more so than Xenogears. Deep characters, deeper plots...it is drama incarnate.