If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Super Mario RPG!?

Comments

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Is the Culex fight near Smithy? My game is saved there, so if I can, I'd like to find it.
  • the_sharp_onethe_sharp_one Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    culex is in monstros town in a sealed door that you can open with a "shiney stone" that you can get from the little mole girl in molevile, I think that's what it's called, you can get it for a trade of fireworks that you get from the firework guy for 500 bucks. the battle is very hard, but a great chalange, the prize you get from it is realy odd and I'm still trying to figure out what's so great about it, realy good for EXP. thou, but it's realy hard to beat him unless you max out all your characters at lv. 30, but if you have anyone who can levle up try atatching an EXP. booster to them for a TON of EXP. you don't get mutch coin from it if I remember corectly but it's still a great chalange and a test of your skills as a RPG gamer.
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The item Culex drops i think is the Quartz Charm or something like that (i'm sure u'll let me know if i'm wrong tounge.gif ). It increases the damage the character does x1.5, so if you normally hit for 200, you'll hit for 300 instead. It may ruduce damage taken by x1.5 too, but I haven't tested it.
  • fuct4lessfuct4less Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    culex was one of the funnest bosses ive ever fought.

just curious, but did anyone ever do that trick in the the tower where you can play as 16-bit mario for a minute or so?
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"fuct4less Posted on Nov. 05 2003,12:24
    culex was one of the funnest bosses ive ever fought.

just curious, but did anyone ever do that trick in the the tower where you can play as 16-bit mario for a minute or so? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Better question, who didn't do it. And I think it was 8-bit, not 16 bit tounge.gif tounge.gif
  • Legendary LeviathanLegendary Leviathan Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The only real way to beat culex is to get the Lazy Shell. You have to find the seed and the fertilizer. The seed should be found during a scene in one of the levels, but the fertilizer can be found on a secret invisible ledge off to the side of Nimbus Land. Then you plant it in the pot in the planters house in Rose Town(I think that's the name, the place where everyone was getting hit with arrows).
    edited November 2003
    Quartz carm and rose town are both right, for me it hasn't been that long since I played so I remember. took me awile to find the fertilizer and eaven longer to figure out how to use it. by the way, has anyone been able to get the jump suit? you get it from getting 100 super jumps in a row. and has anyone gotten all of the secret boxes? I did, big waste of time, you only get a pat on the back sort of thing mad.gif
  • Legendary LeviathanLegendary Leviathan Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Grrrrrrrrr...impossible. I'm not even gonna try to get that thing anymore. I got the scarf and that's it!

• Yellow 11Yellow 11 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    The only thing that ticked me off about the secret chests was missing the one at the beginning. How the hell were you supposed to know about that without an FAQ or playing through once already? (I forget the name of that item that sounds a chime when a treasure chest is near. After jumping around for 20 minutes I figured out it must be on a hidden platform that's too high.)
    Anyone ever notice this on the waterfall minigame? Swimming back up four times then letting go of A makes you drop back to where you were. Trying to swim a fifth time makes you drop a lot farther. So you can "climb" back up certain parts of the waterfall using the rock outcroppings at the forks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hmmm...I thought I heard somewhere that he was from an FF or another game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I could've sworn I heard that too! I haven't finished FF3 yet maybe he's in there. Maybe I missed him in 2. Ah well.
    edited November 2003
    I have done the 100 super jumps, and the super suit is a great piece of equipment. My favorite spot to do it was on Mushroom way and jump on the spikey guys, they were immune to jump attacks. So you had as many times to practice as you had FP without having to worry about killing them.
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Super Mario RPG is one of the best RPGs ever created and one of my all-time favorites. It Perfectly fused elements of the Mario Bros. games with a standard RPG and made it work so well. It's extremely fun and addictive and there really is no other game like it.
  • Yellow 11Yellow 11 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Argh....That Super Jump thing irritates me to no end. I'm nigh-invulnerable in Soul Calibur, always getting Guard Impacts. Yet I can't seem to get the timing down for this simple jumping! Couldn't complete FF9's jump-rope game either come to think of it.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Because the timing for those doesn't tend to alter that significantly. The multiple timing patterns that have to be memorized for Super Mario RPG's super jump challenge are quite significant.

Dracos
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Nov. 09 2003,08:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Because the timing for those doesn't tend to alter that significantly. ?The multiple timing patterns that have to be memorized for Super Mario RPG's super jump challenge are quite significant.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Paterns? What paterns?!? I didn't know there where cirtan paterns!!! I tought you just had to find the right monster, hmm, I just got the attack scarf and am trying for the jump suit, any pinters with this patern thing?
  • oldschoolgameroldschoolgamer Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Super Mario RPG is better than FF7. The story, while not deep, is good enough to keep you wondering, "What happens next?" The graphics are the best I've ever seen on a 16-bit console, and the music is genius. (Sometimes I turn on the game just to hear the music!) The battle system combining simple RPG-style attacks with time-precision secondary attacks is the best battle system I've seen so far. I thoroughly enjoyed Super Mario RPG, and I look forward to re-playing it one of these days!

(And then there's Paper Mario which is mediocre trash. Not bad; but not good either. I hope if there's a sequel, Squaresoft does it.)
  • MetamaniaMetamania Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Super Mario RPG was a great game on the SNES and is one of my favorite games on the system - very easy to play, the story was entertaining (yet childish in some respects), and the soundtrack was fantastic. Also, I like the battle system, though some of the bosses were a bit irritating (Axem Rangers anyone?).
    No sig available at the moment. Will get around to it when I feel like it! :D
  • VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    oldschoolgamer-
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(And then there's Paper Mario which is mediocre trash. Not bad; but not good either. I hope if there's a sequel, Squaresoft does it.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What the frick? I though so too..until one of my lungs popped and I sat in the hospital playing Paper Mario until 1am every morning! That game was sweet! It was the epitome of economic design, expanded the mario universe, and had a great battle system that build on the Mario RPG heritage!

Actually, I didn't really like Super Mario RPG. My brother was into it but the game control and feel were off: Jumping puzzles were never really smooth, and the search for frog coins was frustrating. I enjoyed Paper Mario much more.
    Not to say Mario RPG wasn't good...that game owns my younger brother's soul.

Carmine M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    My first ever RPG experience... this sort of makes me feel nostalgic...

I loved this game, thanks to it I cannot get away from the Role type games, since I played SMRPG, came the Final Fantasy series, which I have enjoyed and I have had memorable battles in every single one, although the greatest one was the final showdown with Smithy.

Wonderful in all aspects.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I absolutely, positively, love this game. Just goes to show a game does not have to have outstanding graphics or a labyrthine plot to be amazing. Did anybody beat the dojo master, I did once but it was one of the hardest battles ever, but well worth the effort if I remember. I loved the town Marrymore(sp) you could rack up huge bill, and have to pay it back as a bell boy, classic.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • avsavs Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Fantastic game imo. I've beat it like 5+ times. One of the best Mario games in my opinion. If it was a little longer, it would probably fall into my top 5 rpgs actually.

• RougeLeaderGold15RougeLeaderGold15 New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I wish that nintendo should re-release this game,possibly on game boy advance or make one for cube.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    I liked <span style='color:red'>Super Mario RPG</span> <span style='color:blue'>Legend of the Seven Stars</span> on SNES.
    It was one of my very first RPG games!
    I love it and I won't ever forget it.

LOL, Culex! ?laugh.gif
  • Destroyer Of OrdenDestroyer Of Orden New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Super Mario RPG was one of my favorite games of all time for the SNES. It was also amongst my first RPGs, though when I originally played it I did not understand the conceptual mechanics of RPGs, and expected it to be a normal Mario game. I was unpleasantly suprised at first, but when I figured it out, it became an awesome game and one I have played many many times.
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I had a rom and its a great game but i had to delete it after a while.
    Mario and luigi:SS is excellent by the way
  • DenkouKitsuneDenkouKitsune New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Super Mario RPG has to be one of my favorite RPG's of all time but 2 things to this day still bother me.
    1. i couldn't find the treasure vault in forest maze.
    2.i couldn't get the hidden tile to do the magic carpet thing.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    we actaully have Super Mario RPG at GameStop... I work there in case you were wondering biggrin.gif
  • codebreakcodebreak Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ah SMRPG was good times, is it me or is there no love for Geno in these forums?? ?Geno was the biggest badass in the game imo. ?I loved red essences I had a whole bunch of them saved up to fight Culex thats why I could finish him so easily. ?

Does anyone else here remember "<span class="spoiler">the cloud place where Mallow was from and you could sleep at the inn and have strange dreams</span>"

The dojo guy in monstro had some good quotes to I think although I can't remember them, he was cool though.

That was a tight game all around.
  • FuzzmanFuzzman New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Super Mario RPG...Good game, never finished it though. ?Got to the end, then stopped. ?Got hard for me, actually. ?I couldn't stand the bosses that were crazy and never let you attack. ?I suppose that's why I never play the game anymore...And I don't recall any RPG's with only five playable characters. Anyway, I rate the game a 4 out of 5. smile.gif

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Fuzzman: That has got to be the weirdest review I've read in a long time. It was too hard for you, you couldn't stand required aspects, and you never play it anymore and it's a 4/5?

And mario RPG and HARD?! In the same context?

Dracos
  • FuzzmanFuzzman New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hey, all you do is get on my case, lay off man. This is supposed to be a friendly chat. You don't like what I have to say? Too bad, don't comment then.