If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mario rpg vs. paper mario

MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything!Full Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
Now that I'm almost done with Paper Mario (one more star spirit, then off to kick Bowser's ass), the question needs to be asked - of the big M's Role-Playing outings, which do you prefer? On one corner, we have Mario RPG, the Square-developed RPG using CGI graphics, and in the other corner is Paper Mario, with the odd mix of 3D polyonal environments and flat 2D sprites. Which of these two games is better as RPGs go? For me, it's definately PM, for the simple reason that the levels are so well designed, each with heavy reliance on puzzles, often involving your unique members' special abilities. Mario RPG's dungeons, on the other hand, felt more like a simplistic version of an FF game. Also, battle is a hell of a lot more creative in PM than in MRPG, with all sorts of cool little timed actions in battles, and the badge system, which forces you to select carefully which abilities to equip Mario with. Lastly, PM just feels more like a Mario game than MRPG. Both have jumping, but Mario's stomping on enemies means something in PM (first strike to be exact). Not only that, but the buddies that Mario comes across are all familiar figures in the Mario unierse (A goomba, a koopa, a parakoopa, a cheepcheep, a Lakitu, a spark [from SMB2], a boo...). I dunno, it just felt like PM was a Mario game, wheras SMRPG felt more like an FF game with Mario in it. Of course, that's just me. Thoughts?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
-Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Comments

• BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Well, I actually thought that the atmosphere was surprisingly "marioesque" in the original game. A lot of the characters Square added like Booster and Mallow worked well with the rest of the game. i haven't played enough of the sequel to say which is better though.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    I have played very little of Paper Mario so I can only give a one side opinion. But from what I've played I would have liked Mario RPG.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    Its all about Paper Mario. I've played, beaten, and done all the secret things in both games, but Paper Mario was just more fun. The characters were cuter too, though Mallow from SMRPG was the cutest.
    PS. I dare all of you to try to beat culex at level 17 like I did. It took me an hour, but if I can do it, somebody else can do it too. biggrin.gif
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Im not sure where to post this question so ill just ask here. I could use the help of some fellow rpgamers. I maneged to track down a copy of paper mario and i was wonder if this game is worth getting even if it is nearly for years old. and if i do buy it should i hold off on playing my new copy of mario & luigi until i beat paper mario? what do you guys think? i could use the opinions.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    Yes, buy it, if it's under $20. No, it doesn't matter what order you play them in.
    edited December 2003
    thanks your probably right. i shouldnt miss out on this classic again. ok, this is my last paper mario question for the day. the only copy of the game that i found is used and doesn't come with the manuel. ive been looking on-line and dont and cant find it. does anyone know where i can get game manuels or at least read them online?

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Ever since Toys R Us was clearancing them about 6 months ago for 10.88 a pop, they have been popping up on eBay, brand new copies for pretty cheap. I've played about 3-4 hours so far, and I've enjoyed every minute.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Paper Mario is loads of fun. I submitted a reader review for it a few years ago, which can be found here.

For some reason, I passed on Super Mario RPG when it was released on the SNES. I've played a little bit of it recently on a friend's old console, but the game is (obviously) very dated today. Also, it's more like a conventional RPG than Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are, which is somewhat disheartening to me.
  • avsavs Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I LOVE SMRPG. So I'm pretty biased. I just thought SMRPG felt very at home in the Mario universe. PM is good, but I just prefer the old school in this case. Plus, I love playing as Bowser..
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'm sorry, but Super Mario RPG rules all. This game has it all: kick @$;$ storyline, Nintendo Character Cameos, jokes, and good battle system. I never had such a good time playing a game then with SMRPG.
    edited December 2003
    HEY i just got my copy of Paper Mario. Im a few hours in and its loads of fun. and once i beat it im moving on to Mario & Luigi. So much mario so little time. but im still waiting for the game manuel that didnt come with the game. i ordered it from nintendo but i propably wont see it for a while. what can i say, i love those game manuels
  • avsavs Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'm currently about 4 hours into M&L:SS, and I must say I am impressed with it. The platform elements combined with the RPG battles and level up system make this quite a complete package. This game hasn't bore me yet, but I still prefer SMRPG, so far. SMRPG has a story that I don't think I will ever forget, and it wasn't even that deep. Just lighthearted, interesting and fun.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (risingsun @ Dec. 26 2003,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"thanks your probably right. i shouldnt miss out on this classic again. ok, this is my last paper mario question for the day. the only copy of the game that i found is used and doesn't come with the manuel. ive been looking on-line and dont and cant find it. does anyone know where i can get game manuels or at least read them online?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    this site has it
    http://www.rpgclassics.com/

paper mario that is
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    SMRPG > PM

End of Story.
  • the_sharp_onethe_sharp_one Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Hands down, after playing, buying, beating smrpg there was no compitition, I beat paper mario and was completely and uterly disapinted, yes it was a good game, but in comparision, it was horible, it's like compareing chocolait to gasoline.
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    You forgot about mario and luigi:SS thats a very similar game