If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Just beat Xenosaga...

lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
And I honestly cannot decide whether or not I am satisfied ;)

On one side, it was a completely spectacular game. One of the best stories I have ever seen in an RPG. I loved every last one of the characters. Well, except Shion, who I only liked ;) I would probably love her too if she wasn't so incredibly stupid.

The music. All through the game, I was mildly impressed by the music. It's by Yasunori MItsuda, impossible to NOT be impressed. But they hardly had any of it... but that last boss battle music more then made up for all the other deficiencies. Extremely good. I am listening to an MP3 of it now, as a matter of fact. A couple unusually good vocal tracks thrown in here and there too.

An emotional ending too, very much so.

Ah, a truly good game. Right up there with Chrono Trigger and FF6, although not quite as good as either of them.

I should be satisfied, heh.

But, on the other hand... there was that little "To Be Continued" screen, and all the other bits of unresolved story showing up throughout the credits. It makes me hungry for MORE.

SOO many unanswered questions, I do not believe there was a single wholly resolved subplot in the entire game...

Not that it matters. It was enough all by itself to make one of the better games I've played.

Sooo.... I have Xenogears coming sometime soon. Got it for 20$ brand new off of SquareEnix's official site store. It seems that little matter of the PS1 classics being rereleased as GReatest Hits finally went into effect ;)

Anyways, back to what I was saying... how closely are Xenosaga and Xenogears connected? Will me playing Xenogears answer any of my questions, or supplement any information? Or is they extremely unrelated?

Which brings to mind another question... Episode 2. I thought it was a sequel, and most of the footage and stuff I have read confirms this. But I have also heard things about it having somehting to do with the Miltian conflict form 14 year prior to this. And then of course there is a swordfight between Margulis and that other guy which seems to show how he got that hideous scar. That certainly didn't happen after Episode 2.

Or perhaps I am getting Episode 2 and that bonus Xenofreaks disc mixed up.

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lord-of-shadow @ Jan. 11 2004,06:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyways, back to what I was saying... how closely are Xenosaga and Xenogears connected? Will me playing Xenogears answer any of my questions, or supplement any information? Or is they extremely unrelated?

Which brings to mind another question... Episode 2. I thought it was a sequel, and most of the footage and stuff I have read confirms this. But I have also heard things about it having somehting to do with the Miltian conflict form 14 year prior to this. And then of course there is a swordfight between Margulis and that other guy which seems to show how he got that hideous scar. That certainly didn't happen after Episode 2.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They are connected... that's basically all we know. You'll notice some hints or similarities, but you won't get any answers. You'll just have to wait.

Episode is a sequel to Episode 1, nothing else. Perhaps it may contain flashbacks or stuff like that, but not that any of us know of yet.

We basically don't know anything about these games, so there really isn't much else to do than to wait and see.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I believe episode II is supposed to explain more of Jr's past. And since said past involves the Miltian conflict, I'd assume we'll get more information on it. Not to mention Albedo.(YES!)

Everything else was essentially explained by Solon.

PS. My reaction to the ending:

"What?! How can you leave it there"?! biggrin.gif
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lord-of-shadow @ Jan. 10 2004,21:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Which brings to mind another question... Episode 2. I thought it was a sequel, and most of the footage and stuff I have read confirms this. But I have also heard things about it having somehting to do with the Miltian conflict form 14 year prior to this. And then of course there is a swordfight between Margulis and that other guy which seems to show how he got that hideous scar. That certainly didn't happen after Episode 2.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Maybe we'll get to play through a short flashback as Jin(Shion's brother).
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Played the game? Now read the Thumbnail Theatre! wink.gif

Eps. 2 will have an intro flashback to the Miltian conflict, which is the source of those screenshots. The main game will be a sequel.

Most people who've played both Xenosaga Eps. 1 and Xenogears (including me) consider Xenogears to be the better game by far. If you think Xenosaga was "one of the better games you've played", then expect to be blown away by Xenogears. Be warned, though: it's a lot less polished than XS, and the first 20 hours or so are pretty boring plotwise. If you can manage to trudge to the last 3rd of Disk 1, expect great things. smile.gif
  • lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    That thumbnail thaetre of yours is absolutely PRICELESS, Metacod ;)
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lord-of-shadow @ Jan. 10 2004,21:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyways, back to what I was saying... how closely are Xenosaga and Xenogears connected? Will me playing Xenogears answer any of my questions, or supplement any information? Or is they extremely unrelated?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    XS and XG have just about no connections, with the exception of a few points. The 6 part Xeno series is grouped in twos, or thats what i came to understand anyway. For example, Episode 1 and 2 are directly related. If im not mistaken Episode 3 and 4 will deal with an entirely different group and story. Im not quite sure if im right about this, anyone care to shine some light on that?

And if you liked XS, you'll be blown away by XG. Which is in my opinion, the best RPG of all time.
  • SlaideSlaide New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    There are huge fights in everygaming forums as wether they are connected or not...

I am personnaly on both sides for as many reasons... But I tend to lean toward... they WILL end up being releated.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Brand new from the website? Are you telling me XG is still in print?

Just be warned about disc 2. I'd advise you to have some patience when you watch the characters sit in that damn chair and talk the story through rather than let you play it. A very impressive game nonetheless.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    It was last I checked.

Dracos
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, XG definitely has it in over XS, if nothing else because it's a complete tale in and of itself. ?I didn't care for it, but there is quite a bit to like there; the plot is worth the trip through, though I can't guarantee you'll survive disc 2 (read: international war crime).

Me, personally, I think they could've gotten rid of most of disc 1 and given themselves some breathing room. ?And lose some religious symbolism; I stopped taking it seriously, in the slightest, when I saw "<span class="spoiler">Chu-Chu nailed to a giant cross surrounded by a bunch of Decepticon wanna-bes.</span>" ?And it's a shame, too, 'cause there IS a good story to be told at the heart of this, if you're into the whole Evangelion/Twin Peaks kinda thing. Definitely something you're gonna be thinking about for a while.

But editors... my god, they needed editors.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Brand new from the website? Are you telling me XG is still in print?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

They are re-releasing four PS1 games as greatest hits. Xenogears, FFA, FFC, and Vagrant Story.
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    While Xenogears and Xenosaga ep 1 aren't that connect you will notice some hints as previously stated. Xenogears is one heck of a game man, I think you will like it. I can't wait for episode 2 to appear, I wonder how much they changed things..
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Karlinn @ Jan. 11 2004,07:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And it's a shame, too, 'cause there IS a good story to be told at the heart of this, if you're into the whole Evangelion/Twin Peaks kinda thing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I consider XG's story to be twenty times better (and forty times more coherent) than Evangelion's. I don't see why anyone would compare them, anyway. Besides the superficial religious names, they're really totally different stories in terms of storytelling, character personalities and motivation, and general mood. I also wish that the religious names had been taken out, since then people would have to actually consider the game's religious messages rather than passing it off as "pretentious".

As for Disk 2, I didn't find it bothersome at all. The cutscenes were a bit longer than most on Disk 1, and a bit weirder with the chair-in-space stuff and all, but the plot was so much better than the plot on most of Disk 1 that I didn't care at all. I'm not the kind who complains because I'm being told the greatest science fiction plot I've ever experienced rather than participating in a frustrating jumping puzzle or uninspired dungeon sequence.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I consider XG's story to be twenty times better (and forty times more coherent) than Evangelion's. ?I don't see why anyone would compare them, anyway. ?Besides the superficial religious names, they're really totally different stories in terms of storytelling, character personalities and motivation, and general mood. ?I also wish that the religious names had been taken out, since then people would have to actually consider the game's religious messages rather than passing it off as "pretentious".

As for Disk 2, I didn't find it bothersome at all. ?The cutscenes were a bit longer than most on Disk 1, and a bit weirder with the chair-in-space stuff and all, but the plot was so much better than the plot on most of Disk 1 that I didn't care at all. ?I'm not the kind who complains because I'm being told the greatest science fiction plot I've ever experienced rather than participating in a frustrating jumping puzzle or uninspired dungeon sequence.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The comparison between XG and Eva is skin deep, I'll admit, but that doesn't change that it's unrefined, borderline weird-for-the-sake-of-weird religious pretense that takes itself way too seriously. ?The game tried too hard to be too meaningful, it did a very poor job of telling a supposedly epic story, and it saddens me when someone, anyone, claims this the best RPG that ever was and ever will be.

Of course, I'm one who can suffer bad plot for good gameplay, but not bad gameplay for good plot. ?It would appear that this is where we differ.

I will say this in closing: ripping off Charlton Heston movies is not a hallmark of genius.
    edited January 2004
    After surviving Xenosaga, I am fairly confident that long cutscenes from 'Gears won't be bothering me much ;)
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Karlinn @ Jan. 11 2004,10:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"it saddens me when someone, anyone, claims this the best RPG that ever was and ever will be.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's my favorite RPG. Does that sadden you? eh.gif

It seems like you're claiming that it doesn't make sense. It makes perfect sense to me. I agree that the story is poorly told in terms of pacing, but in the end it's coherent and (to me) moving. It saddens me when people compare it to something like Eva, which mainly consists of random, meaningless, nonsensical religion-oriented imagery. sarcasm.gif
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    a few things I have noticed between Saga and Gears.... firstly Shion has the same last name as Citan in gears. second Hammer looks just like Hammer in Gears and as a side note they are both "information man" and they actually show Fei at the end of Saga too
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's my favorite RPG. ?Does that sadden you? ?

It seems like you're claiming that it doesn't make sense. ?It makes perfect sense to me. ?I agree that the story is poorly told in terms of pacing, but in the end it's coherent and (to me) moving. ?It saddens me when people compare it to something like Eva, which mainly consists of random, meaningless, nonsensical religion-oriented imagery. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Aw, now, c'mon; I disagree wholeheartedly in terms of a final opinion re: Xenogears, but by no means do I dispute your right to like it smile.gif

My main beef was that so many (present company excluded) fell all over themselves to hype the game to the moon and beyond, and toss out glowing reviews like it was going out of style, that points of contention which could be deal-breakers to a person such as myself are glossed over, and that's putting it lightly; nevermind the bogus "too hot for U.S. release" rumor which I found kinda stupid, if not mildly insulting.

Making sense doesn't have much to do with it; I got the overall idea, I just felt there was way too much to it and the gameplay got the shaft. ?A lot of scenes could have been removed and the game would've been so much better if, at certain key points, the editing staff asked "All right, no BS now; why is this in here?"

That people find such meaning in Evangelion is indeed puzzling to me, but sadly I have similar qualms with Xenogears - and with something as overflowing with religious iconography, the comparison is inevitable. ?There's simply no visible restraint in the use of such symbols and terms, and quite frankly they foul a lot of them up (esp. the Golgotha scene.)

I'm glad I played the game, and if I knew beforehand I'd still play through it just to see it for myself, but I don't feel the story compensates for the gameplay. ?But, as we've illustrated here, this is where we differ.

edited January 2004
    Yes, the plot needed editing and the script was overwritten. Yes, the gameplay sucked to the point where I was discouraged from continuing the game at points. Yes, the plot was incredibly boring up until you go to Shevat...

But from about the Shevat part onward, it also began to turn into the best plot I've ever seen. Literally.

The funny thing is, Xenosaga was exactly the same, except without the little "best plot I've ever seen" part. That's why Xenogears is my #1 game and Xenosaga isn't even in the top 10.
  • EinlanzerEinlanzer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    yeah the main reason the whole "BEST plot....ever!" never happend for me in xenosaga was because it simply didnt answer enough of your questions about the plot. and thats too bad really because i think they really have a great plot but somehow didnt feel they needed to fit it into the inroduction to the series. A real big reason i was turned off by the conclusion is when the credits are rolling. yeah at that point i already knew that the plot just screwd me over, by not answering any of my questions. OH no but wait, during the credits what happens!?.......welhelm come on and creates even more questions. i was like what the hell, the plot just freaking slapped me in the face.

oh well i still thought the overall game was great, and i have faith that monolith will tie up most of the loose ends in episode 2.
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I Heard that they changed around the dates for when the games actually take place to what was the origanl idea of eventually connecting it to Xenogears