If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Konami Discusses Suikoden, Ys Titles

RageRage Transcends lowly massesFull Members
edited January 2004 in Latest Updates
This kind of stuff is what I personally like to read about, even if some of it was already made known. It comfirms to me that the company still cares...and all that stuff.
...Bah, I dunno what I'm talking about anymore.

Comments

• ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    A new YS game...and comming here no less...well I've wanted to see what the series was like for quite awhile...LOL
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadowcat @ Jan. 10 2004,16:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...LOL[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *gah*

On topic: This is good news... concerning Ys, that is. The game already looks awesome, and it'll probably only get better with upgraded graphics and sounds. Considering the disappointment Suikoden III was, I don't have any high hopes for Suikoden IV. Of course, there is always a possibility that it'll turn out great after all.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Sylvan SorrowSylvan Sorrow Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I must prtoest, Suikoden 3 was an awesome game, and Im looking forward to Suikoden 4 even more. (I'd give reasons as to why Suikoden 3 is awesome, but its so cold here my fingers are numb)
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    It's hard to describe how much I'm looking forward to Ys VI, the series, maybe with the exception of part III, has always been fantastic. Perhaps the best thing about the games is the Nobuo Uematsu quality music. That and Adol.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Not compared to what came before it. It frankly did not fit in and the granduer of it was pathetic (Suikoden 1: We change the face of the world, Suikoden 2: We change the face of the world, Suikoden 3:...we return to civil war/moderate hostilities for no apparent reason).

Either way, I'm not expecting much as they apparently lost the main designer sometime during the early stages of Suikoden 3. Y's *Number* though is good news.

Dracos
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    nice to see a new Y's game.this is one of the only series i haven't seen much of.graphics look nice,hopefully the gameplay is just as...
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Y's *Number*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

There is NO apostrophe in "Ys". ?It is just an uppercase 'Y' and a lowercase 's'. ?The 'Y' does not possess anything.

Anywho,

I'm really looking forward to Ys VI. It looks absolutely incredible from the screenshots I've seen. I am anxious to see it over here sooner than later.

• Options
    edited January 2004
    The only games from the Ys series I've ever played were 3 and 4 for SNES. 3 was kind of fun. Nothing to write home about, but I like the side-scrollyness of it. Other than that it was pretty typical. Ys 4 was an attrocity though and I don't have a clue how anyone could even bring themselves to play it... No attack button? Huh? I'm supposed to attack monsters by walking into them? And 9 times out of 10, unless I position it JUST right, I'm going to take damage too?! Worst combat system EVER DESIGNED by human kind!!!

I've been a huge fan of the Suikoden series since its debut here in the states. Sadly I don't have my copies of 1 and 2 anymore, so I can't play through them again, and they just aren't the same emulated. Though I am gonna replay 3 soon in anticipation of 4. Sure it was definately not the strongest of the 3 but it was still solid and deep. The 3 storylines seemed kind of tedious to me, but I grew to love redoing stuff from a different perspective. It's not really something any RPG I've ever played has let you be able to do. Anyhow, I have high hopes for 4.
  • KensikoKensiko Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've been a huge fan of the Suikoden series since its debut here in the states. ?Sadly I don't have my copies of 1 and 2 anymore, so I can't play through them again, and they just aren't the same emulated. ?Though I am gonna replay 3 soon in anticipation of 4. ?Sure it was definately not the strongest of the 3 but it was still solid and deep. ?The 3 storylines seemed kind of tedious to me, but I grew to love redoing stuff from a different perspective. ?It's not really something any RPG I've ever played has let you be able to do. ?Anyhow, I have high hopes for 4.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ditto, Liquid. Suikoden was a good game in its own right...sure, as people say, the original producer from the firs and second games left, but that doesn't mean the new one isn't good. He obviously made some mistakes in Suikoden 3 (didn't like the battle system, for example...goes from quick-paced to tedious), but that makes me anticipate the fourth game even more, for the simple reason that there is NO way Konami would let the series plummet to mediocrity, so the guy will learn from his mistakes, I'm sure of it. Or else, they'll find someone better.

Also, I've finally gotten around to checking out the movie, and it just looks awesome (Jeane and Viki are back laugh.gif ). I just can't wait to get my hand on it.

As for Ys, I've never even touched one of them in my life...when a series doesn't make it to North America, I barely bother getting info about it. But now that there IS one coming over and that the Ys series is apparently very popular over in Japan, I'll keep an eye on it.

• RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Indeed, I'm also looking forward to both of these games. Hey, speaking of which, I've been meaning to get into the Suiko series, but only got around to playing about an hour of the first game (which I bought from my neighbor for $10. Score.) before I, um, "left" on the mission deal, which landed most of my stuff in storage till about 2005, but that's not the point of this post. Do you think Suikoden 3 will end up like 2, with it being so rare and selling for $90 on Ebay and such? Do you guys think it would be best to get it now while it's $20, or wait till (after my re-departure) I get home 19 months from now, and see what's up then?
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Do you think Suikoden 3 will end up like 2, with it being so rare and selling for $90 on Ebay and such? Do you guys think it would be best to get it now while it's $20, or wait till (after my re-departure) I get home 19 months from now, and see what's up then?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you really want it, I'd suggest you buy it now, 20$ is always a good price if you ask me, especially for a new game. I couldn't say if it will become rare or not, but hey, at 20$, go for it, I really can't see how you could lose.

And what's this mission/redeparture stuff? Are you in the military or something?
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    I doubt it will ever get as pricey as Suikoden 2. The reason Suikoden 2 sells for so much is because it's one of the best and rarest RPG's on its system (Like PDS is to Saturn, and Chrono Trigger/SoM/FFVI is to SNES) . Suikoden 3 is neither of those things. Will it get any cheaper? Highly doubtful as there is still a pretty limited number of copies out there. So pick up a copy whenever you can.
  • SilvermaneSilvermane Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I have all 3 Suikodens now, and at $20 S3 is a great price indeed. Im glad I was able to get 2 mint at $100, appearently now prices are MUCH higher for like new quality. I cant wait for Suikoden 4 and the Ys title has my interest.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Silvermane @ Jan. 10 2004,14:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have all 3 Suikodens now, and at $20 S3 is a great price indeed. Im glad I was able to get 2 mint at $100, appearently now prices are MUCH higher for like new quality. I cant wait for Suikoden 4 and the Ys title has my interest.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Where did you find Suikoden II Silvermane, I'm curious because I'd like to pick up a copy myself. I managed to find Suikoden I at an EB for only $30, if I can track down II I should be set.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, I was thinking most of those same thoughts. Thanks for the helpful suggestions, all.
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ys looks intresting, and here I thought it wasn't making its way here lol guess I was wrong.
  • OmegaGearOmegaGear Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Prices for S2 on ebay are still going for 80-120, depending on quality. Some people think they can try to run you for 200 for a sealed copy, but no one's bitten on those hooks.

I, myself, got S2 for 40 bucks with the players guide when it first game out. My friend got it not too long ago, brand new, for 15 bucks at a random WalMart o_O
    edited January 2004
    Holy crap, guys. ?
    I went into EB just an hour ago, and there was a boatload of rare (or at least somewhat uncommon) RPGs in there. ?They had Thousand Arms, Arc the Lad Collection, Persona, Dragon Warrior VII, Grandia, and others. ?And guess, what? ?Both of the first two Suikodens were there. ?I asked to take a look at the disc for S2, and when I saw that it was flawless, I dropped the $65 for it without hesitation. ?If I end up finding it's not my thing, There's always Ebay, where it looks like I'd make money on the deal.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And what's this mission/redeparture stuff? Are you in the military or something? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>Church missionary. I left in August but was only gone till October, then got sent back due to my out-of-control Asthma/allergies/Pnuemonia always sending me to the ER. (Apparently you're not suppoed to do that.) The "redeparture" referrs to the 19th of this month when I go back to Seattle to finish what I started. I'll be there for 19 months. Good times smile.gif

edited January 2004
    Rage:

You sir are a lucky man ^^

Have fun and remember to hit random soldiers over the head.

Dracos
  • Athiestic doubtAthiestic doubt Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I really like the character art for the female elves.
  • SesshoumaruSesshoumaru Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    ok i got a beef with people saying Suikoden 3 was a horrible game and that it ruined the series and such. If it had stayed in the same format as the first two then everyone would be saying that konami should do something different.

and as far as getting Suikoden 2 i did get it when it first came out but i lent it to someone and they then proceded to sell it for big bucks and i havent been able to afford a new copy since.
    edited January 2004
    *sigh*

There are always people who say that. There were people saying that back around Mega man 2 and Dragon warrior 3.

Some people don't enjoy yet another game built in the same fun fashion they enjoyed previously. Some people do. There will always be loud complaints regardless of what is done.

It just happens that the complaints are coming from the corner that thinks they did a damn good job before and enjoyed it.

Dracos
  • NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    New Ys, eh. Well, I know I gushed over it when I first heard, but really how great was the Ys series? Book 1&2 was awesome for the time, but after that UGH. Ys 3 was lame, the Ys 4 we got here in NA was crappy (I believe I made a comment about how my dog could have beaten that game in 8 hours) and the same goes for Ys V. I can't comment on the PC-Engine Ys IV, as I haven't played it, but based on a couple import reviews I have read, it's the best of the series. So really, based on that tarck record, I'm not too hyped about the new Ys game, though I admit that the screen shots are pretty sweet.

As for Suikoden; comeon, it's Suikoden. Even if it's not exactly like the rest of the series (such as 3 was) it'll still be good.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Some people think they can try to run you for 200 for a sealed copy, but no one's bitten on those hooks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=11324

And... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=11324

Also... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=11056

There are plenty more copies that I personally saw sell for $200, they just aren't on the site anymore. Suikoden 2 is one of the Ebay Big Three, along with Panzer Saga and Chrono Trigger SNES. I know this stuff, I'm a collector.

• LaoKLaoK Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Who rocks the casbah?

So everyone, it rocks that Ys VI is coming here, eh? Not only does it look wicked, it will be the first Ys game most of us will get to play. I mean, I didn't own a TurboGraffix 16. By the way, Ut-napishtim is the Babylonian equivalent of Noah: he built an Ark duing the Flood and saved humanity.

Heath rocks the casbah.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The great thing about Suikoden, I feel, is that the entire world has such a history behind it that continues to be built upon with each installment. There does not need to be incredible character development because the scope of the series is on that world...how its cultures interact and the common threads that bind them all. I am certain that IV will continue this tradition, adding a great chunk of the past in as well.

There have been disappointing "innovations" in the battle system with III, but aside from that, I see nothing wrong with the progression of the title. Only time will tell, of course, but I remain optimistic.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Church missionary. I left in August but was only gone till October, then got sent back due to my out-of-control Asthma/allergies/Pnuemonia always sending me to the ER. (Apparently you're not suppoed to do that.) The "redeparture" referrs to the 19th of this month when I go back to Seattle to finish what I started. I'll be there for 19 months. Good times [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ah I see...and I hear ya 'bout the asthma/allergies ruining stuff for you, I know what it's like. Thankfully, my health is a lot better than when I was a kid...just gotta keep to sports or it'll probably go back down though. confused.gif
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neuromancer @ Jan. 10 2004,23:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"New Ys, eh. Well, I know I gushed over it when I first heard, but really how great was the Ys series? Book 1&2 was awesome for the time, but after that UGH. Ys 3 was lame, the Ys 4 we got here in NA was crappy (I believe I made a comment about how my dog could have beaten that game in 8 hours) and the same goes for Ys V. I can't comment on the PC-Engine Ys IV, as I haven't played it, but based on a couple import reviews I have read, it's the best of the series. So really, based on that tarck record, I'm not too hyped about the new Ys game, though I admit that the screen shots are pretty sweet.

As for Suikoden; comeon, it's Suikoden. Even if it's not exactly like the rest of the series (such as 3 was) it'll still be good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You have a US version of Ys IV? That's pretty impressive considering there isn't one. There is are two fan translations (one for the SNES version and one for the PCE version) but that isn't the same thing as a North American release. Also, how the hell does it go for Ys V? Ys V has so many changes compared to Ys IV it isn't even remotely close. As far as Ys VI if to the previous Ys', it has some similarities to Ys V in the gameplay department, other then that it's like all the previous Ys'. I'd say Ys VI is up there with Ys I, II, and IV (PCE).
  • NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Frig, I thought I deleted that bit about Ys IV before I posted. My bad. Yeah, I realize that neither Mask of the Sun nor Dawn of Ys came out here.

• ElrinthElrinth Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm ####ing mad cause this game isn't coming for Gamecube.. I farken hate Konami for not bringing it to gamecube.. they can just go and die! f**kers
    \"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind\" - Edward D. Morrison