If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The "2D Vs. 3D" RPGs Topic...Which do you perfer?

GrowlanserGrowlanser MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
My Preference: 2D

Why: First off all, I myself like Colorful, Anime-Styled RPGs with the cool lush enviornments. To me it just feels like it brings me to a world in which I could never imagine. This is why my favorite companies/publishers are Working Designs, Atlus and GameArts because they bring me the games that I want.

3D games, as of late, have bored me greatly. Not that it sucks, it's just that the enviornments don't draw me in as much as in 2D games. I mean, games like Legaia and Arc the Lad just look so boring that I don't feel as if Im part of the game. In fact, gameplay in 3D RPGs feels like a chore. Well, games like Xenosaga...the story and gameplay is pretty damn good. There are not many good games like this one, but as much as I think about it I'd rather play Xenogears all over than Xenosaga anyday. RPGs are supposed to draw you into the world itself, or at least they used to...

Also, has traditional gameplay elements been forgotten when they started creating more 3D RPGs?

Comments

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    ...what do you mean 3-d rpgs? Things like FF7, ect, which have gameplay identical to 2-d rpgs, and just polygonal graphics? Or are we talking things like Deus ex, or other games where the difference actually matters?
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Jan. 16 2004,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"My Preference: 2D

Why: First off all, I myself like Colorful, Anime-Styled RPGs with the cool lush enviornments. To me it just feels like it brings me to a world in which I could never imagine. This is why my favorite companies/publishers are Working Designs, Atlus and GameArts because they bring me the games that I want.

3D games, as of late, have bored me greatly. Not that it sucks, it's just that the enviornments don't draw me in as much as in 2D games. I mean, games like Legaia and Arc the Lad just look so boring that I don't feel as if Im part of the game. In fact, gameplay in 3D RPGs feels like a chore. Well, games like Xenosaga...the story and gameplay is pretty damn good. There are not many good games like this one, but as much as I think about it I'd rather play Xenogears all over than Xenosaga anyday. RPGs are supposed to draw you into the world itself, or at least they used to...

Also, has traditional gameplay elements been forgotten when they started creating more 3D RPGs?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    hmm thats a hard one because i think both can be great if art work and animations are implemented properly e.g. breath of fire series 1-4 and saga frontier very good games in 2d and dark cloud 2 has a mix of both which gives it a rich look but 3d games can make a game more realistic like ff10 in physical appearance (reffering to human characters of course) so im gonna go for 2.5d a bit of both biggrin.gif
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 17 2004,05:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...what do you mean 3-d rpgs? ?Things like FF7, ect, which have gameplay identical to 2-d rpgs, and just polygonal graphics? ?Or are we talking things like Deus ex, or other games where the difference actually matters?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As if Phatose does not know what you are talking about.

If you do mean FFVII and all the FF's after that alike. I do not like 3d.

Other than that 3d has some of the best games.... I like elder scrolls chapter 1(arena), 2(daggerfall), and somewhat 3(morrowind). Summoner 1 and 2 also Gladius. I do not know how to answer your question since obviously you are trying to initiate a Square-Enix Console RPG battle vs. The others(which are a ton!!!!).

In which case I hate square enix's titles not because they are 3-d. But because I dislike them heavily. Tactics is still the best game I have played so far since VI and that is not because it is 2d.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I don't even compare. This is probably the last thing I care about when judging games.

If the game has a good plot, good music, fun gameplay etc... then it doesn't really matter. I don't prefer any of them when it comes to RPG's.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • edited January 2004
    I think that visual presentation adds a lot to the overall feel of the game, as does music, and somewhat like gameplay.

I prefer 3D. Not to say that I don't like 2D RPGs - most of my favorite RPGs are 2D - but a 3D world just looks more alive, bearing dynamic camera angles and more animated characters who still move even when they're standing still. If you compare FFX's world to FFVIII's, there's just so much difference there... where FFVIII's backgrounds stay still like a photograph, FFX's move with you. Kingdom Hearts is a great example, too... I swear, walking through towns feels like walking through Disney Land.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    my self I can play either and it doesnt really make a difference 2-d, 3-d, no-d whatever... lol
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, has traditional gameplay elements been forgotten when they started creating more 3D RPGs?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm personally happy that RPGs are evolving. Honestly, why would I want to play a clone of Final Fantasy VI when I've already played Final Fantasy VI? If I want a traditional RPG, I can always go back and play one of the games that perfected that style. I started playing RPGs way back when Dragon Warrior was released and I instantly fell in love with the genre because it offered an entirely new gameplay experience that I had never seen before. I'd rather future RPGs continue to challenge and surprise me in that manner than offer gameplay that seems remarkably similar to (or even downright derivative of) games that came out in the 80's and 90's. But perhaps that's just me?

Viva Dragon Quarter!
    laugh.gif

EDIT: Oh, and to me it doesn't matter whether an RPG is 2D or 3D, as long as the game is fun.

• lord-of-shadowlord-of-shadow Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Essentially, I veiw this as completely irrelevant.

My favorite RPGs are all 2D... but the fact that they are 2D has absolutely nothing to do with how much I like them.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I agree with Reluctant Hero, mostly.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 17 2004,03:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...what do you mean 3-d rpgs? ?Things like FF7, ect, which have gameplay identical to 2-d rpgs, and just polygonal graphics? ?Or are we talking things like Deus ex, or other games where the difference actually matters?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Interesting that you bring this up. ?On the one hand, can you call RPGs such as FF7 "3d RPGs" when the only 3d to be found is typically a few relatively low-poly character models rendered on top of a 2d backdrop and (of course) much higher-detail models and special effects for combat. ?On the other hand, how do you classify a game such as Paper Mario, which sports 2d character sprites traipsing about in full 3d environments? ?I tend to call both of these styles "3d RPGs", if only to avoid argument and confusion.

As for my preference, I find that RPGs like FF7 tend to control somewhat awkwardly due to their emphasis on cinematic camera angles and a general lack of clearly defined boundaries. ?I prefer RPGs with 3d environments (regardless of whether the characters are polygonal or sprite-based) because I find them more intuitive to navigate.

Edit: I have no real preference between 2d RPGs and RPGs with full 3d environments.

• DevilMayCareDevilMayCare Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I think it's pretty interesting that I didn't play a 2D RPG until at least 3 or 4 years after I had played a 3D one (Final Fantasy 7). First off, the first RPG I played was Super Mario RPG..I still can't think clearly whether that should be considered 2D or slightly 3D, whatever. Alright, I never seriously played a 2D RPG until a while after my first 3D one. My first 2D RPG that I beat was (ahem) Legend Of Mana. Then I got Final Fantasy Anthology, and to this day I have not beaten FFVI or V. V because it bored me half to death and I found no real reason to enjoy it besides the Job System, and VI because..I couldn't pull off a blitz against Vargas. Don't laugh, I just can't do it, 4 years and I can't do it..it's kind of depressing.

Anyway, I find it pretty..useless to ask questions like this. A good game is a good game, there's been a lot more 3D games I've beaten than 2D ones, but that's because I've never really been able to really get into traditional RPG's as much as I should. It's personal prefrence; I happen to like more 3D RPG's than 2D RPG's, and it's kind of strange mainly because I adore most of the 2D designs. The Mana series came very close to driving me into an obbsession..and that's the most hated of the series (and I still don't know why it is)!

But I think, I probably just play more 3D RPG's because of the simple fact that I'm tired of all this ROM crap that comes with 2D territory..most of the good ones anyway.

The problem with these kinds of topics is, nothing's really accomplished. Not only that (because the whole thing is just asking for someone's prefrence) but it usually ends up into a spiral of meaningless discussion, and sometimes even flames. The guy who prefers 2D games strikes up a conversation with the guy who dislikes 2D games, or vice versa (with 3D instead of 2D). Either way, nothing good comes out of it, nor anything meaningful..
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I don't much care either way...I'll play old 2D one day and the new 3D the next...LOL
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • Double_BDouble_B Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    an RPG could be fun 3d or 2d, but I preffer them 2d..... period alien.gif
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The whole point of this is like...if you had a choice to buy a 2D or a 3D RPG, and you know you only have enough for 1, which would it be? And for your choice, there has got to be a reason for it.
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The whole point of this is like...if you had a choice to buy a 2D or a 3D RPG, and you know you only have enough for 1, which would it be? And for your choice, there has got to be a reason for it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It depends on the game in question. 2D and 3D can both be done terribly or very well. Assuming the games I had to choose from are both well done 2D and 3D, I would probably go with 2D. Good 2D just appeals more to me than good 3D. Good examples of well done 2D would be SaGa Frontier 2 and Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana.
    I decided to go with 2D after looking at those Iris no Atelier: Eternal Mana screenshots again; in particular, the huge panoramic screenshot of Kabock town. It seems to have a lot more character than most 3D towns I've seen. I think its because the town looks like it was painted, an effect that I personally love, but I imagine would be impossible to achieve with 3D graphics.

• Double_BDouble_B Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Jan. 18 2004,13:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The whole point of this is like...if you had a choice to buy a 2D or a 3D RPG, and you know you only have enough for 1, which would it be? And for your choice, there has got to be a reason for it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I guess my reason is much like the one you gave....... I prefer 2d, cause it looks more artistic, colorful and vivid (depends of what rpg you're playing, duh!). I think that a fantasy world is better presented on 2d, because the recent ?3d rpg?s? haven?t really ?involved? me into an hour-long play. But hey, it?s just me. sarcasm.gif