If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mystery Nintendo Platform Revealed

Comments

• CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hm, I don't quite feel their concept of "More is better". No offense to you nintendo owners (because I own a GC) but they should move up a pace and realize other things. One is online play, which Nintendo is severly lacking right now. I don't know why they haven't shifted the GC with more online games like the other consoles. Me, I'm just not very fond with having my room flooded with wires and hardware all over the place..
  • Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    What about the GBA Sp??? mad.gif

I Just Got One! I hope they still plan
    to make Stuff for it! sad.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    hmmm....still a few months away from the expo and already hyping up a new platform. ?Hopefully it will do well, but in my mind it'll go the way of the gamecube. ?It'll be expensive and popular at first then dwindle down to the rock bottom price of $99 and just sitting on the rack. ?Then again I could be wrong. sarcasm.gif
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Billy: ?Will the unit be backwards compatible with the Game Boy Advance or the Game Boy?

Beth: ?We haven?t announced anything about that, yet.

[...]

Billy: ?The press release also stated that there?s two separate 3" TFT LCD screens on the DS. ?Are those 3" actually square or could that mean the screens are 3" high, but could have a wide screen?

Beth: ?They are 3" diagonal -- so a little bit bigger than GBA screens.

[...]

Billy: ?Why does Nintendo feel like they need to have a third system?

Beth: ?We?re always looking at ways to keep innovating in the industry. ?We?re always looking to make gameplay more fun ? a little bit different ? and we felt this would be a unique way to do that. ?We?re certainly not abandoning our current platforms. ?We?re still working on the successor to the Game Boy Advance, and what will be the successor to GameCube. ?Here?s really just a third product line that just adds some new and innovative gameplay opportunities.

[...]

Billy: ?Will E3 be the first time we?ll learn about third party agreements?

Beth: ?Ah, yes. ?That?s the current schedule.

Billy: ?So there hasn?t been any third party or second parties that have games in development.

Beth: ?Nobody has been announced yet.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

For the full interview, check out GameInformer.

? -Red Raven
  • Hazel-Eyed LionHazel-Eyed Lion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (black swordsman @ Jan. 23 2004,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"hmmm....still a few months away from the expo and already hyping up a new platform. ?Hopefully it will do well, but in my mind it'll go the way of the gamecube. ?It'll be expensive and popular at first then dwindle down to the rock bottom price of $99 and just sitting on the rack. ?Then again I could be wrong. sarcasm.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "...and just sitting on the rack"!?

Nintendo Rocks Out In Sales, Mystery Revealed.

Arm yourself with knowledge.
  • pneuma08pneuma08 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    As I stated before in one of the other now locked posts, I think that the idea has potential, but that potential must be realized and its worth proven before it can compete in the market, and I'm skeptical about that.

But you have to give them credit for trying something new. Let's just hope they're not gambling too much on this venture, which is my real concern, and not too much because Nintendo has experience in their own failed ventures, and they also seem to learn well.

Finally, I wonder if all this attention is a good thing, as, with nothing to show right now except a lot of vague details, there is a lot of - albeit rational - skepticism about.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Red Raven very illustriously displays my own thoughts, so I really have nothing to add directly on the system. On those commenting about the naysayers being 'sonyfanboys' or some such rubbish, why not take the same breath and harp upon what you perceive to be good about this system? I cannot see it. Other then the cartridge size (Which will undoubtably be blown out of the water by the time the next gameboy generation and PSP hit the water) and a few tech specs(which also will be blasted out), I can't see the muscle here.

Innovation sometimes shouldn't leave the R&D labs until it's tied with the muscle to back it, and that's what this looks to lack.

EDIT: Reading back, I realized something very silly had been said that I just want to comment on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What're the PS3 and Xbox 2 systems going to bring to the industry? Better graphics and even more online support.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What did the SNES bring to the industry? Better graphics and more memory and processor power? Damn, it couldn't have been a damn good system.

Dracos

• WindWind Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I know it is still early days and that we still don't know jack about this new handheld console but from what little I have heard I am Not impressed.

When I first heard about about the DS at Gamespot the first thing I thought of was Nintendo's Virtual Boy and by the looks of things I am not the only one who is skeptical about this handheld console. The fact all the info I have heard so far seems to point to the DS will not be compatible with GB cartrides, GBA/GBA SP cartridges or Gamecube Discs does not bode well for teh console.
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Why is the two screens thing bothering everyone? Sure, anything in the world can become a bad idea if enough idiots get their hands on it, but this has just as much potential to be a good idea as anything else does.

The game designers would have to really screw up to make the second screen a bad thing. Even if they didn't feel like making any real creative use of the second screen, they can simply put all the HP/MP/status and ATB bars and such up there during battle (that would be especially helpful to games with real-time battle). Or if you have a world map, you could put the little mini-map up there instead of obscuring a quarter of the normal screen with it as is usually done. In real-time games, even that soccor example could be applied usefully.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo gives it a really bad physical design, but hopefully they won't. I'm guessing it'll fold up someway.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    This thing is gonna blow. How many times does Nintendo expect me to dish out 100+ dollars to buy one of their latest systems? They should of just waited...instead of releasing the GBA SP they coulda released this instead(given it plays GBA games).

Plus, they said it isn't their next portable system. So obviously we won't see anything new that would suprise us.
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Did anyone realize that unlike Nintendo 64, most of Nintendo's traditionaly 1st party titles (Beside Mario, Zelda and a few surprise games like Pikmin), where developed by second and third parties? or that most GBA games made by the Big N themselves have been remakes? I personally think they have a load of cool stuff in development for this thing.

• Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Jan. 23 2004,08:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nintendo is developing this machine solely for the purpose of making money. Any claims to contrary ignore the fact that Nintendo is a business, and one desperately trying to find an edge over the Sony PSP at that. Personally, I believe the GBA would have given the higher-priced PSP enough competition as it is, but I suppose they wish to give their hardware R&D a chance to redeem themselves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If Nintendo wanted solely to make money, they'd spend their hoard and buy all their third parties back, and wait for other people to come up with new ideas before merely copying them. They would not spend valuable time delaying and polishing their games, and researching and developing new ideas as they are now.

The PSP is a joke. Compete with game boy? But that Sony has been throwing money away for years now, in hopes that Nintendo will eventually collapse, means that they'll only be hurling themselves at this brick wall until they realize that it just won't give, or until Sony's games division files for bankruptcy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"High Art and "critical-thinking" has zero to do with it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What a coincidence, have you noticed how much better Megaman Zero is over x7? The action is much more intense, the occasional rescue mission doesn't slow down the pace, the characters have much better defined personalities, and the grading system actually explains the intricacies of how well you performed. Truly a work of art, and the story makes it a meaningful successor to x3. By contrast, x7 was slapped together, a new one-dimensional character is forced on the player, and rescues serve only to get in the way of what would normally be fast-moving platforming, except you don't move fast to begin with. Oh well, the market for x7 only cares about the name, not that it caters to people who lack the critical thinking needed to realize that it sucks.

Online the future of gaming? Hardly. So far, no game released online has been any different from simply releasing the game with multiplayer. Oh yeah, there is one significant difference, and that is, online is unprofitable. Sony's games division is pulling money out of all its other departments to support its online servers, in a bad attempt to argue that online is the future of gaming. Sony's betting that if they can survive long enough, Nintendo'll collapse from unpopularity before Sony goes bankrupt, whereupon they can charge as much as they want to regain the lost cash. What they don't realize is, all gamers will always support Nintendo as long as they're dedicated to advancing the art form that is games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"hmmm....still a few months away from the expo and already hyping up a new platform. Hopefully it will do well, but in my mind it'll go the way of the gamecube. It'll be expensive and popular at first then dwindle down to the rock bottom price of $99 and just sitting on the rack. Then again I could be wrong[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You are very wrong, as you haven't noticed that this will be a third supporting console, alongside the T.V. and handheld consoles. This will inevitably be copied by the other companies if they even want to keep up. Also, you failed to notice that Nintendo Gamecube sales have skyrocketed for each of these events:
    -Harvest Moon: A wonderful life release
    -Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles release
    -Tales of Symphonia's release
    -Price Drop
    -Mario Kart: Double Dash release
    All this has caused the Sony userbase to drop 25%, and Xbox growth to stop dead in its tracks.
    edited January 2004
    You produce interesting figures Q. Mulative and perhaps they'd be taken seriously were you not so obviously a rabid nintendo fanboy.

You truly think nintendo is sitting around with the cash to win bidding wars with Microsoft or Sony on third party devs regularly?

Really, you are like a mirror of the Gord, only with rabid nintendo fanboyism and imaginary/semiimaginary figures for it rather than the playstation.

Anyhow, you may continue your rabid support of the console and the rest of us will wait to see what...GAMES are made for it. What will convince US to buy the system. No 'hardcore gamer' buys a system because it's innovative or nifty. They buy it because of the games.

Oh, by the way, nice comparing the first in a new series to a series that is seven games old and had burned most of it's tracks for sensible continuations by X3. Truly, the system has everything to do with the differences between two games made by the same company. It couldn't possibly be anything else. By the way, have you noticed how much more sucky megaman legends was then X4? Clearly this is an indication that Nintendo sucked, right? Or it could be a totally irrelevent figure.

Dracos
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Speculation is fun isnt it?
  • CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Nintendo isnt dumb.

They know that part of the reason the GB has been so popular is backwards compatibility. Although I do feel that it wont be GC compatible in terms of using GC software on it, I'm pretty confident it will let you play GB games on it.
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    It will be roughly 102 quid and one of the launch games will be called 'Buzz'.
    Namco will be making games for the ds portable

(this info from cube-europe)
    edited January 2004
    "In an article covering the recent Consumer Electronics Show, our own Darren Gladstone discovers what may be a secret component of the system: a 3D display. The article reveals that Nintendo has been in discussions with Sharp to possibly use its 3D display technology in a future portable system."

"In this ExtremeTech article on Sharp's 3D display technology, a Sharp employee explains how two TFT LCD screens (the same type of screens Nintendo announced for the DS) can work together to create a 3D view."

wow.gif

Nintendo DS: 3D Screen?
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2004
    Much like Xbox and GameCube, I won't have much interest in the system until I know how many RPGs and their quality will be on it. eh.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Waitasec, PS2 sales are declining and the console wars are beginning to favor the Gamecube?

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5141061.html

News to me...

And as for the online thing, have you ever played everquest?

Ah well, there's no point in baiting the trolls...

Anyways, like many of the previous posters, I don't think that the DS is going to be a great success. ?Two screens could make for interesting possibilities, but between supporting a PS2, a GC and a GBA I'm stretched pretty thin already; how many Nintendo fans have the cash to buy games for three different systems? ?Then again, if Nintendo has a strong line up of games for E3, then my opinion might just change...
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PanzerKing @ Jan. 25 2004,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Waitasec, PS2 sales are declining and the console wars are beginning to favor the Gamecube?

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5141061.html

News to me...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Uh, you are aware that quotes from the article include, "despite a year-to-year drop in holiday sales," (referring to the PS2) and, "sales for the holiday season were up 70 percent" (referring to the GameCube), right? That seems to confirm that PS2 sales are declining and that the GameCube is currying favor with consumers.
    edited January 2004
    Rico:
    That interpretation is indeed accurate, though I'd say it'd be hasty in the extreme to leap from the gamecube now taking a rise salewise to the claims being made by Mulative.

Seventy million to around ten million is no meger margin of victory if that's at all accurate.

Edit:
    And not to be a sony fanboy or anything but:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The company sold 7.83 million PS2 units worldwide in November and December, according to a Sony statement[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    But a company spokesman told the Reuters news agency that sales for the holiday season were up 70 percent from a year ago and that the company is on track to meet internal targets. These call for sales of 6 million GameCubes during the current fiscal year, which ends March 31.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

7.83 million during two months versus 6 million during a year?

Assuming the article is accurate, it still seems to indicate a really imposing lead by Sony. Additionally, 70 percent up from sales point X is meaningless without a mention of what sales point X is. 70 percent of low sales is not nearly as impressive as retaining very high sales and having no or negative sale gains (Oooh, you have 75 instead of 80 percent of the market!).

I though wouldn't be very hasty to argue the accuracy of the article myself. Those are merely what I see as legitimate extrapolations assuming said article is correct. I'm not one to generally worry about the corporate standings when considering game systems so much as what games they are going to have to entertain me with when I make the initial investment on their systems.

Dracos

• Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You produce interesting figures Q. Mulative and perhaps they'd be taken seriously were you not so obviously a rabid nintendo fanboy.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just as water tastes sweet after a salty meal, as do gamers look like rabid nintendo fanboys after mindless Sony droning.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, by the way, nice comparing the first in a new series to a series that is seven games old and had burned most of it's tracks for sensible continuations by X3.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It looks like even you're saying that the best games are reserved for Nintendo systems.

I'm using you as my argument. ?Are you imaginary? ?Then you have fulfilled your purpose, and may disappear now, thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""In an article covering the recent Consumer Electronics Show, our own Darren Gladstone discovers what may be a secret component of the system: a 3D display. The article reveals that Nintendo has been in discussions with Sharp to possibly use its 3D display technology in a future portable system[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

the only ways that could work would be if the screens were horizontal, so that you could cross your eyes to view it like a pseudo-stereogram, or if there were goggles that diverted your vision so that each eye looked at a different monitor. ?Of course, that's not stopping developers from enouraging players to hold the thing sideways.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And as for the online thing, have you ever played everquest?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, yes I have, and I want those 2 hours back. ?Once you do a little exploring, you find out it's all about camping the rare spawns, and selling what you find on ebay. ?It's not a game, it's a job, and my job is to make games, not work a bottomless fetch-quest.

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Q. Mulative @ Jan. 25 2004,10:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just as water tastes sweet after a salty meal, as do gamers look like rabid nintendo fanboys after mindless Sony droning.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Is that a logical fallacy or do I misspy? It's providing the assumption that I'm brainwashed and therefore incapable of analyzing your stance and finding it rabid.

I'll posit another:
    Your stance is unwaveringly aggressive in support of Nintendo and in denouncing of Sony. You make many conjectures about the current state of things which idle observation indicates to be unlikely if not completely false. You attack those who are analyzing the probability of success of the venture and considering that if Nintendo does "X", "Y', "Z" over the coming months it will likely be a success and if they do not, it will likely have problems. Given the evidence of how you act, I find it justified to state that you are presenting yourself in a manner that appears both rabid and in method a nintendo fanboy.

I am able to draw this conclusion without any need to acknowledge Sony. Ergo, I would say that you are attempting to sidestep the point that without evidence to back your claims and while retaining an arrogant and aggressive stance, you provide the image of a rabid nintendo fanboy and your claims are unlikely to be believed regardless of their soundness.

Additionally, I would indicate the notion that I could potentially be a rabid X-box fan as I do not believe I've given any indication of even being a sony fan at all in this thread prior to my initial response to you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    It looks like even you're saying that the best games are reserved for Nintendo systems.

I'm using you as my argument. Are you imaginary? Then you have fulfilled your purpose, and may disappear now, thanks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is a strawman. Twice in fact. The first strawman is being made that the games were simply better on the nintendo systems and I am agreeing with that fact. I would instead say that X4 was also a great game, but that X3 had destroyed most potential for possible plot continuations, requiring new ingenuity that was unlikely to occur regardless of the system it was placed on. Had it continued the game on a nintendo system, the same problems would have occurred from crushed primary plotline, thus slowing the feel of the game. In almost every case, a game series that is starting out will have more momentum and speed on it's first or second game then on the seventh game in the series. In fact, it can be argued a measure of success for any series to retain momentum at all up until 7 games in it.

The second strawman is that your misinterpretation of my words indicates that you are indeed using my statements as your argument and therefore I am imaginary by my own lines.

What I am instead saying is that you are using either skewed interpretations or plain out imagined figures to bolster your points. Which you nicely demonstrate again in this post.

This argument serves little purpose and I'll be leaving it here, but seriously, tone it down. It neither serves your ends nor convinces anyone else by going to such extremes in your positions. If you are going to go to such extremes, you should be ready to defend yourself respectably instead of making weak pokes at the obvious sony fanboyisms of those saying you are extremist. You'll garner more respect and convince a hell of a lot more people that way.

Dracos
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Jan. 25 2004,10:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"though I'd say it'd be hasty in the extreme to leap from the gamecube now taking a rise salewise to the claims being made by Mulative.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Agreed. I just thought it was a funny article to be cited given that my interpretation was accurate.
    edited January 2004
    Nicely put, Dracos. Additionally:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Q. Mulative @ Jan. 24 2004,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Online the future of gaming? ?Hardly. ?So far, no game released online has been any different from simply releasing the game with multiplayer. ?Oh yeah, there is one significant difference, and that is, online is unprofitable.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Did you do any research whatsoever before making such an outrageous claim? Perhaps a topical example is in order: FFXI currently has over 500,000 subscribers worldwide. FFXI broke even at 200,000 subscribers. Thus, FFXI is currently generating close to $3.9 million in profit every month, and this number is only going to increase once the FFXI/PS2 HD bundle is released.

How much longer do you think other gaming companies are going to ignore this profit potential? How much longer do you think multiplayer games are going to be viable without some internet connectivity? Go to any college campus and you'll find three games without fail: Halo, WarCraft 3, and Counter-Strike. If Super Smash Brothers: Melee or Mario Kart: DD were online compatible, Nintendo wouldn't be losing to Sony 7:1. Instead, you have Nintendo following Yamauchi's legacy of relying solely on the genius of a few men to keep the company afloat in a rapidly evolving market. This has been working so far, but for how much longer?

The future of gaming is online and the future is now.

? -Red Raven
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    College campuses, with their "freely available to everyone with your tuition" broadband access aren't exactly an unbiased cross-section of gaming as a whole.

And, last I heard, the x-box is quite online capable, and despite that it's only pulling about even with the cube.

Online gaming may have a future, but it's not the future of gaming.
    edited January 2004
    Phantose: They may not be the entire present, but as internet gets cheaper and cheaper, the world gets more wired and wired, Online gaming will continue to expand. It's remaining astonishingly successful in an environment that anyone can look at and say: "Hey, the vast majority still doesn't have the capabilities to enjoy it properly."

Will it become the entire future of gaming? I damn well hope not. But I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that regard and was among those hoping (and still hoping) that the flings with the wonders of 3d wouldn't successfully totally obliterate 2d as a medium for games to be delivered in.

Either way, the ventures into Online gaming that are profitable at all, tend to be extremely profitable. Enough so that they remain an ever tasty lure for game companies with the necessary start up capital to try it out.

Dracos
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I smell another Virtual Boy...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The words Virtual and Boy come to mind...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just the two best quotes on the 'net that basicly express how I feel. Nintendo is a big stick in the mud when it comes to new trends(such as letting us play games online), but every so oftem they pull a weird stunt like this. I don't think that something like this will take off very well...wich is why the comparsion to the ill-fated Virtual Boy....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 25 2004,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And, last I heard, the x-box is quite online capable, and despite that it's only pulling about even with the cube.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This would be a legitimate comparison if the XBox and Gamecube were both released by Japanese companies with similar histories.

As it stands, Nintendo has decades of brand-name clout behind them and a few designing geniuses such as Miyamoto. Meanwhile, the XBox is a poorly marketed, bulky new system from a company wholly unfamiliar with the console market, especially the absolutely critical market in Japan. The very fact that the XBox has not tanked completely - and in fact is not all that far behind the Gamecube despite the price difference - is a significant indicator that it's doing something correct.

And it would not be a tremendous stretch to assume that "something" is XBox Live.

? -Red Raven
    edited January 2004
    Has anyone even acknowledged the rumors that the DS will produce 3D images!? Hence the two screens stacked vertically on top of each other!?
    The bottom and top screen work together to create a 3D image!!
    That's not innovative!? That's not new!? That's exciting even if you've got a PS2 too far up your @$;$ to admit it.