If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Legend of Zelda series

ChromotriggerChromotrigger MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
This is in my opinion the best action/RPG-series in the world. I am sure that many of you will agree with me. But which of games in the series is the best?

None of the game i really bad, but of course i like some better than other.
Here is my own list:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. The Legend of Zelda:The Windwaker
6. The Legend of Zelda:The Adventure of Link

I have never played "Ocarina of Time", "Majoras Mask" and "Oracle of Seasons" despite the fact that i own them all.

Comments

• RookRook Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I never really got into Zelda games therefore that's probaly why I like the Zelda game that's different from all the others.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ocarina of Time. Followed VERY closely by Link to the Past.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Link to the Past was endowed with a wonderfully enjoyable and extremely agreeable scheme as far as format goes (SNES hack and slash..gotta love it), while still maintaining a fair level of difficulty with the puzzles. ?And therefore, my favorite of the series.

And by far the best soundtrack of the series.

Earlier incarnations were perhaps too primitive, and Zelda II didn't appeal to me simply because I don't really favor side-scrollers. ?Later installments...hmm. ?Well, they certainly expanded on the style, I'll say that. ?Ocarina was great...I wish they'd produce another Zelda identical to that (and don't misconstrue my use of 'identical' -- figure it out) plus being longer and less focused on being a damned child.

If there's one thing I despise about any Zelda game it was in Ocarina and beyond when having to play Link as a little kid...ugh.

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I enjoyed Zelda 3 the best, followed closely by Zelda 2. And, well, didn't actually enjoy any of the others.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    My first and my favorite game EVER is Zelda: A Link to the Past. I guess that was my first "experience" with an Action/RPG. I played this game so many times and I just about remember where everything is (except the last 2 hearts...still can't find those).

Zelda: Link's Awakning DX follows closely. Then in 3rd comes Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

• Options
    edited January 2004
    OoT. Arguably one of the most flawless transitions from 2D to 3D for any series. Majora's Mask and LttP tied for 2nd place.
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    OOT, I still rember playing this for the first time, and thinking how awesome everything looked. Then when I started playing, it quickly nudged LTTP down to number two on my list of favortie Zelda games. Wind Waker was good too, and I for one enjoyed the graphical style. While it may have had the best story (though it still wasn't that stellar) out of the Zelda games so far, and the dungens that you went through with a partner were cool, it was about 4 dungens too short IMO. It comes third.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Well I love the first, probably my favorite, but I consider the best to be LttP followed closely by OoT.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda and a strong contender for my favorite game of all time. As for the other Zeldas, I have a hard time ranking them against one another. All of them have their individual strengths and, yes, weaknesses. The original Legend of Zelda is still the one that stands out in my mind as being the most groundbreaking and new. The Wind Waker had the best story. Majora's Mask had the best atmosphere. Adventurers of Link was (by far) the hardest and the strangest. Ocarina of Time had the best variety of environments. They all boast incredibly polished gameplay, a great soundtrack, universally superior environment design, and (of course) a huge array of gadgets to play with.

So yeah. Link to the Past is tops, and all the other Zeldas are pretty much even as far as I'm concerned. Except for the Oracle titles. I never did like those as much, for whatever reason.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I wish they'd produce another Zelda identical to that... plus being longer and less focused on being a damned child.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sheesh, a major Zelda fan would probably light into you for such a remark. It's good thing there aren't any of those around here. ;)

Let it suffice to say that Zelda has been about a boy with a sword since the very first game in the series.
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Jan. 28 2004,21:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sheesh, a major Zelda fan would probably light into you for such a remark. ?It's good thing there aren't any of those around here. ?;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well even though I'm not a major Zelda fan, I woulda ripped him a new one if I wasn't so busy laughing hysterically at him. laugh.gif

...Oh and this should be under "All Games.' Zelda isn't a console RPG series.

/flame on. Har har har!

• XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rook @ Jan. 28 2004,17:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thats the one i liked the most also but Nintendo and many others call this game a reject and dont even count it as part of the series
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 29 2004,05:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Thats the one i liked the most also but Nintendo and many others call this game a reject and dont even count it as part of the series[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Wait an minute. Nintendo called Zelda II a reject? When did this happen?

*Edit* Oh yeah, I got the GC disc with Zelda 1, 2, OOT and MM on it in the mail today smile.gif

• JordanJordan Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Link's awakening DX

BY FAR the best ever....

Later
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ocarina of Time was by far the best in my opinion. Zelda III: A link to the past comes in second, I loved playing these games and wouldn't mind doing so again.

• DiebleinDieblein Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I played every part of the series ( well the one less the other more) but to summ it up I like the 3 "generation" changes from snes,n64,gamecube.

But look at Majora's Mask I hate this part. Sorry to say so but this is only money making and Nintendo?s gonna do it again with their WindWaker part2.
    Even though most people did not like WindWaker, I love the fresh style, the great animations and it is simply fun to play. You have to enjoy this lovely storyline.

This is my first post, hello everyone
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    My favorite is defenitely Link's Awakening.

Link to the past and Wind Waker are both tied for second place.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1.OOT
    2.LTTP
    3.WW
    4.MM
    5.Oracle Series
    6.Zelda 2
    7.Zelda 1
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Let it suffice to say that Zelda has been about a boy with a sword since the very first game in the series.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Alright, once again a case of trivialities being elicited by differing semantics. ?To clarify, by 'boy' I mean below the age of 16 or so, and in Link to the Past, Link remained fixed at that age.

And LiQuid...if you truly had some meaningful criticism, you wouldn't have refrained from expressing it simply because you were laughing at me.

Which, by the way, what exactly was it I said that produced such a response from you?

• XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SoupDuck @ Jan. 29 2004,08:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wait an minute. Nintendo called Zelda II a reject? When did this happen?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They said it in a mag during an interview about WindWaker they interviewer brought up Zelda II because of the way they changed Wind Waker, and the rep said Zelda II was a failed experiment and that it was never really considered as a part of the series.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 30 2004,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SoupDuck @ Jan. 29 2004,08:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wait an minute. Nintendo called Zelda II a reject? When did this happen?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They said it in a mag during an interview about WindWaker they interviewer brought up Zelda II because of the way they changed Wind Waker, and the rep said Zelda II was a failed experiment and that it was never really considered as a part of the series.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    zelda 2 reminds me of ax battler on the gamegear same sort of battle sequencies and map also levels look similar but i preferred ax battler tounge.gif
  • hyrule herohyrule hero Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    OOT, but i think wind waker could come second its a brilliant game,just underrated.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 30 2004,05:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SoupDuck @ Jan. 29 2004,08:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wait an minute. Nintendo called Zelda II a reject? When did this happen?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They said it in a mag during an interview about WindWaker they interviewer brought up Zelda II because of the way they changed Wind Waker, and the rep said Zelda II was a failed experiment and that it was never really considered as a part of the series.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow, that was awful harsh of them. It wasn't a bad game, just different from the rest of the series.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Well, I guess it's a tie between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time...

For the record: Worst Zelda game -> Majora's Mask.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • L StencilL Stencil Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Link to the past os awsome ihave played it and beat it i hear good things about ocarina and i have just started to play it i hope it is better than link to the past
  • -=Magnum-PI=--=Magnum-PI=- Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Id have to say that Link to the Past is first, followed by Ocarina of time, which I just recently finished on the Gamecube. But personally, I was never a huge fan of the Zelda series. I think Nintendos ultimate claim to fame is the Metroid series. Prime was AWESOME!!!
  • LinkOcarinaManLinkOcarinaMan Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    AHHH The Legend of Zelda. My favorite videogame series ever.

Well here are my choices

1. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (favorite videogame of all time)
    2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (2nd favorite videogame of all time)
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    6. The Legend of Zelda
    7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocacle of Ages/Seasons
    8. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

And yes I know it is wierd but I started playing Zelda games with the original and yet Zelda is the only series that has made a 2D to 3D transition where I actually prefer the 3D games for the most part. But all of those games I listed are fantastic. Even Zelda II
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I never had an N64, or cared to get one. But my gf just lent me hers and im halfway through OoT and wow, its by far my favorite in the series.
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    ZELDA 2 RULES!! WOOOOT!

I have never ever before or after had such an intense fight as when I had to battle Shadow Link for the first time (which was actually only a few years ago, 10 years after I had actually bought the game >_<)

They shouldve included a Shadow Link version in Soul Calibur 2... I mean the purple one sucked, and it wouldve been easy for them to make a Shadow Link... Oh well....

Anyways, i slowly walked up to the shadow....
    We looked eachother in the eye, a moment of silence which seemed to last hours.
    Then suddenly, CLASH! Again we looked eachother in the eyes, this time close up, swords struck against eachother.
    Quickly we both jumped back. A fierce sword fight ensued. Our swords crashed into eachothers shield, or against the other sword. It was the longest lasting battle I had ever been in. Occasionaly a strike would land, slowly weakening us. Then suddenly, as we were both severely wounded, we jumped back. For the third time we looked at eachother. The shadow still looked as evil as he did when I walked up to him, but I knew he was almost done for.
    We both knew that the next blow that would land would be the end. It was either victory or death. We ran towards eachother with ferocious speed, and we both jumped up high in the air. I saw my shadow lunge back his sword in preperation of a blow, as I did too. A deafening scream....

As we both landed on the ground, I slowly opened my eyes. I was still alive.

I turned around... Noone. No sight of my enemy. As if he never existed...

Mind you this was actually what happened in my (first) final battle in Zelda II. It took me 10 years to get here, and it was everything I had hoped for....

The way I described it, the pauses, the very long battle, the jumping back,waiting a couple seconds, then running towards eachother, jumping up, then delivering the final blow (if he had hit me, it was gonne be me who would die!!), it all happened that way... Ok, so it was in 8 Bit, but I had fun describing it like it was a friggin cinematic 256Bit Battle....

And even today, it has been THE most exciting final boss battle I have played so far!

So that, yes, just that one battle(and maybe the Exp. system!), is why I think this is the best Zelda!

SHADOW LINK ROCKS!!!
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    all the Legend of Zelda games are good... I have beaten them all... but I have to say Link to the past and after were the best Zeldas
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Jan. 31 2004,15:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"For the record: Worst Zelda game -> Majora's Mask.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Good...one of the 3 that I haven't played yet.