If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The WORST/BEST RPG Character('s) EVER!

AyRoNLoVeSYoUAyRoNLoVeSYoU New MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Role Playing Games
I've got a question that I'm sure many of you have very firm answers to! Who is the worst RPG character in existance, to date? Whether it be for their cynical attitudes, retarted out-looks, or general creepiness...I really wanna know your opinions on this one, so lemme know! My personal LEAST favorite has GOT to be *Drum Roll*......the ULTIMATE OF ALL ULTIMATE BALL-SWIPES! TADA! IT'S..........Are you ready? Here it comes! Really NOW! Here it is.....it's..........SEYMOUR from Final Fantasy 10. I mean, bleah.......He just URKS me to no end. He's cold, deceptive, snide, cocky....All the things I am. Man, if anyone has ever tried to rip me off it was him....I mean...heheheheheh....*Bats his eyelashes*, just kiddin. hehehe...My favorite character is between Rootrick(Brave Fencer Musashi) and Lulu from Final Fantasy 10*Hiss*. Yes, she's a scary one...BUT she's just so CUTE at the same time. Ehehe, and Rootrick. You've gotta love a bad-guy with a sense of comic relief. "Y'all gonna get a lickin" is one of the greatest lines I've heard in any game. Although I heard some TRULY meaningful things in FF7, Star Ocean 2, and Chrono Trigger too. Anyways, enough of my enless banter. Tell me your fav's and least fav's!
Peace

Comments

• OmegaOmega Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst Character ever?....hmm....I would have to say Tidus FFX. Now dont go attacking me here....this is my reason...why is he such a moron?....why couldnt he just get over the fact that he was all in all just a baby and cried about everything that ever happened to him....Cloud was [Spoiltested on for many years with horrible experiments and mutated on and put in a green tube with his best friend] and he never sat there and cried about it!!! Best character would have to be...Crono...strong, silent, powerfull. He let his sword and actions do the talking...never once did he show weakness..only affection and strength...talk about being a hero!!!
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    every character in FFX was the worst rpg character ever...of course with the exception of Lulu. and no it's not because of her ta-ta's, she was actually mature, kindda cold, a little creepy, but still a friendly gal.

the best is Kharan Ramsus from Xenogears, he's just so screwed up.
  • RuinRuin Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst: Serge. I mean, Chrono Cross didn't have strong enough supporting characters to warrant Serge being a mute. Horrible!

Best: confused.gif
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I'm going to agree with you guys about FFX and say that Tidus might be my least favorite character ever, what a total whiner. There are some FF7 characters I dislike also, as well as characters from a couple other games, but none were quite as bad as Tidus.

Best character is much harder. A couple names include: Lacan/Grahf(he's SO well written), Terra, Crono, Lufia, Cecil, lots of people from Wild ARMs...I don't know, this is impossible, there are so many characters I like, all of whom I like equally, many more than I can list here. Heck, I even like Erdrick from Dragon Warrior III!
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst: Brian from Quest 64 which is probably because of the general hatred I already had for that game.

Best: This is a definate tough one but Ill keep it short. Well I'd usually say Aeris....but I am focusing the spectrum away from the FF for I maybe a little generous. But I'd have to say Lavitz in Legend of Dragoon"<span class="spoiler">I loved but hated the scene when he dives at Lloyd while transforming into his dragoon armor state and is impaled with the Dragon Buster. Albert was okay, but he was no Lavitz...I hated having to change over.. sad.gif </span>"

• netgrlxnetgrlx Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Everyone in Koudelka, even if the gameplay itself was fixed and improved, the poor characters weren't solid enough to hold up the game. You have your dubiously clad Koudelka the medium who had an attitude that got on my last nerve. The slow buffoon who just wants women, ale, and riches. The sterotypically corrupt bishop who's wortheless.
  • UncleGamerRPGUncleGamerRPG Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst: Ash from Pokemon. He just seemed to get on my nerves, i wanted to kick his teeth in. and in the game if only your character could become evil then that character would be cool but no.

Best: Rue from Threads of Fate. Awsome weapon?Arc-Edge? "<span class="spoiler">cool crystal head thingy, and a dragonball z type power up biggrin.gif biggrin.gif </span>"
    Ronfar from Lunar 2. its best explaned W/a scene from the game
    Leminia: ok were entering tabans Peak, everyone hold on to your valuables.
    Leminia: RONFAR get your hands out of your pants!!!!
    Ronfar:I'm just doing what you told me to do.
    and thats why hes cool, although that might be why he sucks to some people but to hell with them.
    Sephiroth from FFVII. most RPGs have that comic book Clich? of "Stop the villian before he becomes a god"."<span class="spoiler">How many villians try to become god and succued, to the utmost power</span>"
  • Geek_SquidGeek_Squid Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I would say the worst character for me would be Cait Sith or Aeris, they both were incredibly irritating to me
  • TempestTempest Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Hmmm now theres a tuffy...i would also have to say ash form pokemon..hes so dumb....and i would also have to say...steiner form FF9..he was so uptight...my favorite character would have to be Cloud form FF7..
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst: Like Ruin said, Serge. Not only was he a mute, but he didn't even have cool body language going for him like Crono did.

Best: There are so many to pick from, I can't choose. Really, I like most people from RPGs, even the ones that are generally considered "annoying", so it's impossible for me to choose which one I like best.
  • oldnavy_2k2oldnavy_2k2 Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I would have to say Barret from ff7 as the best, i have some others for best, but Barret sticks out in my mind. ?"Spiky Haired dumbass" tounge.gif my fav. quote from him.

and as for worst Brian from Quest 64, ?He had no personality, no real initiative and no development plus, he was stuck in the WORST RPG STORY EVER!

((if ypu don't know, find a frind that has a N64, and somehow restrained themselves from selling it to Funcoland or pawning it, and who also has a game shark and play it, trust me with the gameshark to max out all your stats and magic levels for all 4 elements; it'll only take you an HOUR AND A HALF AT MOST&#33wink.gif) and thats the honest truth, trust me, i did it and timed myself; my time was 1 : 11 .

• ChaosChaos Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst: I can think of many, but I'll talk about two.
    1. Goofy from Kingdom Hearts, he was incredibly stupid and served no useful purpose in battle and always wound up getting killed in boss battles.

2. Sephiroth, mostly for the sheer overratedness.

Best: I can think of many for this, also.

1. Ansem from Kingdom Hearts, I can't really put my finger on it, I enjoyed his character.

2. Kuja, I felt I could relate to him since he felt angry about a vareity of things, plus, he's abosultely beautiful and vastly different than other villians in looks.
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    i dunno about Kuja being vastly different.

IMO the majority of ALL rpg villains have become a mix of Kefka in the mind, and Magus in the looks. perhaps i'm wrong.
  • Daryth DarkmoonDaryth Darkmoon Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Well I'm gonna have to give this one some thought...too many to chose from, but here goes.

Best = I'd have to go with Vivi from FF9. His story in the game was an ongoing struggle to discover both what and who he was. His unlikely friendship with Steiner was suprising and refreshing and I used their combo attack with regularity.

Worst = I'm gonna have to go with Yu-gi-oh. But that's strictly because a game that horrible doesn't deserve to be the top selling PS1 game 3 months in a row. What are these gamers thinking?

A close runner up for best was almost Meowth, for being the only pokemon who posseses enough intelligence to say more than his own name.

Runner up for worst, that fat blob from FF9. I can't remember his/her/it's name off hand, but for some reason an old Saturday Night Live skit came to mind every time I saw the character. Its time for androginy, no its just Pat! But seriously, I'd hate to be around that thing when it's hungry!
  • SoraSora New Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Now, this is a fun one...The worst and best characters, eh? Well...There are many really bad characters...Like Brian, Seymour, Barret...but, there has never been one character that I tried to kill in battle more than...oh, I tried blocking her name from my memory...Cecilia? What's the messed up girl from Star Ocean? Whoever she was, I HATED HER!!! I seriously wanted to kill her more than my enemies...I'd chase after her to no avail...sigh...But, Brian does come to a close second.
    Best...my favorite is unexpected, but I LOVED Millenia from Grandia 2. I absolutely loved her. From the minute she stepped onto the scene I liked her...

sora
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chaos @ Oct. 05 2002,20:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Worst: I can think of many, but I'll talk about two.
    1. Goofy from Kingdom Hearts, he was incredibly stupid and served no useful purpose in battle and always wound up getting killed in boss battles.

2. Sephiroth, mostly for the sheer overratedness.

Best: I can think of many for this, also.

1. Ansem from Kingdom Hearts, I can't really put my finger on it, I enjoyed his character.

2. Kuja, I felt I could relate to him since he felt angry about a vareity of things, plus, he's abosultely beautiful and vastly different than other villians in looks.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    omg sephiroth?? man he was the coolest charected ever he he he was so bad

and dont get me started on hanson i mean Kuja wink.gif
  • KainKain Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Worst: I can think of many, but I'll talk about two.
    1. Goofy from Kingdom Hearts, he was incredibly stupid and served no useful purpose in battle and always wound up getting killed in boss battles[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm maybe you're thinking of Donald. Because when I went through KH, Goofy always had a ton of life, and a ton of item slots. Donald on the other hand died every single boss battle..

Yeah you have to mean Donald

• poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    totally agree with kain on this one i mean come on i dont know about yours but my goofys health was beyond enough and he never died tornado rocks he he with hercs sheild most of the time he kicked!!
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sephiroth from FFVII. most RPGs have that comic book Clich? of "Stop the villian before he becomes a god". ?"<span class="spoiler">How many villians try to become god and succued, to the utmost power</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Umm... that accurately describes every FF villain. ?Even Garland in FF1.

Anyway, my favorite RPG character would have to be Cyan. ?Not because he's "such a total badass!" or because he's sexy (especially not because he's sexy ;P), but because he's one of those rare characters who has actual depth and great dialogue, not to mention an intriguing backstory, great theme music, and, yes, good fighting skills. ?You'll notice the "good fighting skills" part was at the end of the list.

My least favorite characters are Sten from BoF2 and Zidane from FFIX. ?I guess I must have something against talking monkeys.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Chaos: "Worst: I can think of many, but I'll talk about two.
    1. Goofy from Kingdom Hearts, he was incredibly stupid and served no useful purpose in battle and always wound up getting killed in boss battles."

You were expecting something more from Goofy?! tounge.gif
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Oct. 04 2002,12:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Best: This is a definate tough one but Ill keep it short. Well I'd usually say Aeris....but I am focusing the spectrum away from the FF for I maybe a little generous. But I'd have to say Lavitz in Legend of Dragoon"<span class="spoiler">I loved but hated the scene when he dives at Lloyd while transforming into his dragoon armor state and is impaled with the Dragon Buster. Albert was okay, but he was no Lavitz...I hated having to change over.. sad.gif </span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't need to say anymore. That summed it up! OK, one more part..."<span class="spoiler">When you remeet Lavitz towards the end and he's a dead guy...oh, that part crushed me! Lavitz was chivalrous and noble hearted.</span>"

And of course, since i'm the Vagrant Story lover here, I have to say John Hardin as well. I hated him at first, but once Callo discovered his story, I was hooked on the guy! I have a thing for tragic people.

As for worst, hmm...I didn't care for Cait Sith. Not much to say about that.
    edited October 2002
    Well, I can't say who's the BEST, but right off the top of my head I'd have to put in my usual vote for Squall. He's a good guy, he is. Often misunderstood, for obvious reasons.
    Rinoa ain't chopped liver either.

As for WORST, that's not too hard. Quina and Cait Sith. Yuck. I don't know why they come to mind when even stupider characters like Umaro don't, but there you go. It says something for Quina and Cait Sith -- they're worse than a big, smelly sasquatch.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Best? That's a tough one. I'm tempted to say nameless one, but torment never did get a console port. Celes from FF6 was a pretty good character. There are a thousand other that could all compete for the title, probably comes out dead even.

Worst?

Probably "Boy" from Secret of Evermore. When you're less entertaining then your co-star, and your co-star is "Dog", that says something.
    edited October 2002
    Phatose: "Probably "Boy" from Secret of Evermore. When you're less entertaining then your co-star, and your co-star is "Dog", that says something."

Hey, dogs are wildly entertaining! "Boy" had his work cut out for him. "Boy" from Secret of Mana, of the other hand, had no excuses.
  • Lina DarkstarLina Darkstar Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    In order to be named worst character, doesn't that mean that the person, by definition has to have a character of some sort? Both heros from Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore certainly qualify, but I'm not sure if Quest 64's Brian had any character at all.
    With that in mind, my vote for worst character is split in three. "Boy" from Secret of Evermore was the least convincing as a person, Cloud was far too spastic, and Auron just ticked me off. That last was a personality clash more than anything else, though. tounge.gif
    As for best? I admired Yuna, adored Janus, and felt an instant rapport with Squall. Also Tidus and I got along quite well.
  • Noj AirkNoj Airk Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Proving that during key moments of nothingness I do indeed have no life, I have compiled a list of 10 in order for both catagories. ?True, some of my all time favorites aren't here, like most from FF IV, my favorite game ever, and that's because I tried to have only one or two max from a single game in each list.

Here we go....

Top 10 Worst Characters -

10. Squall Lionheart (FF VIII) - I remember first seeing him in the demo FMV from Parasite Eve, where he boasted three things: looks similar to mine, amazing CGI, and some of the most explosive looking shots ever. ?When I got the game, I was let down big time by him. ?All he did was think about how much he didn't like others, and always wanted to express....something, but didn't until about 3 discs into the game.

9. ?Lyla (Eternal Ring) - She was a decent character, but you play hearing tons and tons about her, and all you get is a mildly cool character with one of the worst voice acting dubbs in history (Eternal Ring was the RPG voice acting equivilant to the first Resident Evil).

8. ?Steiner (FF IX) - Actually, Vivi is the only character from FF IX I liked at all. ?I couldn't care less about Zidane and many others as well, but Steiner was more than just somehow uninteresting; he was annoying as all hell.

7. ?Selphie (FF VIII) - Just an annoyance from the moment you see her into FMV where the last freeze frame ends with her sticking out her tounge. ?She revolutionized the words "tee-hee" for me, which is something I could have lived fine without.

6. ?Umaro (FF VI) - He did nothing, said nothing, and doesn't even appear until near the end of the game anyway. ?Only redeeming quality: he was introduced to you by Mog.

5. ?Edea (FF VIII) - This was the villain..."<span class="spoiler">until she decides to join you later on, right </span>" about 5 hours from the end of the game. ?Sure, Golbez did it in FF IV, but at least he was developed with evil, while Edea was just a pile of evil with no action to back it up. ?It's like if Zeromas also decided to join your party.

4. Yuffie (FF VII) - Really the only cast I liked in the PSX trilogy of the FF's was FF VII, but Yuffie was the one who solely made me LIKE it, not LOVE it. ?She gave headaches for hours "<span class="spoiler"> stealing my materia, </span>"and her attacks aren't even all that great anyway.

3. ?Link (Zelda Series) - Cool first game, cool cartoon show, cool "Link to the Past" game. ?Other than that, he is easily the character I hate most in any story...at least of those I wasn't meant to hate. ?All he does is go on pointless quests and be a goober. ?The best moment for me with Super Smash Bros. Melee was the fact that I got to annihilate him.

2. ?Chrono (Chrono Trigger) - And people say that Mario in Mario RPG was boring...the only thing Chrono has going for him is that Chrono Trigger was a good game, despite him. ?He is easily the most uninteresting character, and that character art.......don't even get me started!

1. ?Serge (Chrono Cross) - Sure I liked Serge a bit more than Chrono and Link, but at least they both had a tad bit in the way of games helping them out. ?I might be alone here, but Chrono Cross easily acheives "wasted my time" status, and Serge was right in the middle. ?I almost feel bad for him due to that.

Top 10 Best Characters -

10. ?Citan (Xenogears) - Xenogears had a phenomenal cast with almost no unlikable characters. ?Somehow made by the Chrono people, Xenogears was able to keep the characters interesting in a detailed world, and Citan was in many ways the coolest. ?He knew all, but he told none.

9. ?Mustiado (FF Tactics) - One thing I noticed is that of all the characters to stay with Ramza, Mustiado is the only one that Ramza could really call a freind; the rest were just good comrades. ?Delita was my other choice for FF Tactics, but I chose Mustiado because he's just somehow cool.

8. ?Bowser (Super Mario RPG) - Easily one of the coolest characters of all time, and now he's an ally! ?The only problem with him is that he is really sometimes incompetant and scheming, but besides that, he's mad, mad awesome!

7. ?Orphen (The Anime Series "Sorcerous Stabber Orphen" and Orphen: Scion of Sorcery) - He's a hero that can't help but be a hero. ?Like some movie heroes, he's always at the wrong place at the wrong time, and the only one able to stop the evil around. ?However, he's also abrasive, easily annoyed, and won't help most anyone unless they promise to pay him, or he truly sees their hardship for what it's worth. ?The infinite bragger, worthy of his own bragging for once.

6. ?Ryogo (Front Mission 3) - Of all games in history since FF IV, my favorite cast would have to go to Front Mission 3's easily. ?Ryogo and Kazuki are often a riot together, but Kazuki is often unstable in critical situations...Ryogo on the other hand can't help but be silly, and sometimes moronic.

5. ?Shadow (FF VI) - Mystique to the max, and with an awesome dog and killer outfit. ?He leaves and rejoins twice as many times as "<span class="spoiler">Kain does in FF IV</span>", but here it isn't hypnotism...it's contract.

4. ?Cloud (FF VII) - Sure, not one of the best, but he did redefine well-developed character, making his story and motives and life easily as developed as the two most developed characters from FF VI put together. ?He goes through the most hardships, and not really in one peice...he does indeed snap and is unable to contine after a while. ?No matter how tough I could be, after all that to that point, I would snap too.

3. ?Auron (FF X) - While Tidus was interesting how he wasn't tough in the slightest, but wanted to be and had guts, Auron was the one who basically says: "if you're tough, you can be as cool as me, but sometimes my unreal mystique becomes a burden as I know more than I can ever tell" (not a real quote). ?He's tough, and a man of few words when there aren't any words to say, yet the one who says by far the most. ?He's like a cross between Shadow and Darth Maul, only he's on the side of good. ?Truly what Squall wanted to be, characters simply don't get any cooler than Auron.

2. ?Kain (FF IV) - The real reason I choose Kain is because the first time I saw an RPG (my cousin playing FF IV), he named the party members after us, and since I was Kain, I stuck with him. ?He features some amazing plot twists, and his jump is still one of the coolest attacks ever, as well as one of the most powerful. ?I also love his outfit. ?He's the forgivable evil as he is almost infinitely good.

1. ?Alucard (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - With names like Shadow and Auron, here you can guess that I love the mystique characters who are of few words, but many meanings, stories and actions. ?Going against his own father to put an end to the darkness that has tortured the people for centuries, he goes against almost every shade and skin of evil ever imagined, and fearlessly too. ?Also, his voice actor did an awesome job, too.

• KhisanthKhisanth Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Worst: Squall from FF8. Honestly I hated FF8 as much as I have ever hated a game, and to me of all the people in the game he was the worst. He had no personallity and more angst than Shinji from the anime Evangelion.

Best: Hmmm, this is real hard, since my favorite video game char isn't from an RPG tounge.gif . For an rpg char I would have to say either Magus from Chrono Trigger or possibly Arc from the Arc the Lad series. Magus was just the coolest bad ass to ever grace an rpg, and Arc was one of those people who was determined to save the world that didn't want to be saved, no matter that he was branded an outlaw and hunted for doing so.
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    With Squall, I didn't think he was a bad character at all. I thought he was a very real character. He lived his whole life, getting close to people and then being left behind by them and he experienced all the heartache that came with that. He toughened himself by building a wall, thinking that if he didn't let people in, he wouldn't get close to them and as a result, they wouldn't hurt him when they eventually left him. I've known several people like this. Rinoa and the others showed him that he didn't need this fear; that not everyone will leave. They showed him how to put his trust in others where he had always kept it in himself.

With Selphie, my analysis of her is she used her cheerfulness to deal with the things around her. You see glimpses of her cheerful facade faltering at various times in the game, but that's just the way she dealt with the stress and the heartache (I keep using that word, but it's late and I just can't seem to think up a synonym right now). Just like Irvine used his cool "ladies man" image to cover up his insecurities and Quistis used her "perfectionism" to cover up her own, Selphie found solace in cheerfulness. And I think the fact that she was able to be like a ray of sunshine to those around her when they were faltering themselves also helped her deal with the stuff around her.

Just my humble opinion on those 2...
    edited October 2002
    Noj Airk, if that is your real name (backwards?), I totally dig your post. I may not agree with some of them, but at least you have some good reasons. Alucard is an unusual choice, but I like it! That dude is cooler on Monday morning than Chrono is all week. Like you, I think Chrono Trigger was cool DESPITE Chrono, whose character seriously lacked... well, character!

Aliena, I never thought of Selphie in that way before, but there may be something to it. Makes her a better match for Irvine, at least. I like your thoughtful takes on these characters. Very refreshing.

...and for the record, I vote Nash from Lunar:SSS as the character I most want to punch in the nose. I don't know if that makes him bad (because I hate him and he's a wimp) or good (because I'm supposed to hate him and he's supposed to be a wimp).
  • Daryth DarkmoonDaryth Darkmoon Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    Was it just me, or did anyone else think Yuffie was like an annoying little sister that just wouldn't go away?.....I only used her long enough to level her up sufficiently for getting past the Utai side quest.