If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Which of these 2 games should I buy?

GrowlanserGrowlanser MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
I did alittle "research" to see which games I haven't played yet.

Tsuganai: Atonement

- I never played this game before

Dark Cloud 2

- I didn't like the first one. It started off ok, I built the first city and everything. Then all of a sudden it takes me to a much bigger area to build a much larger city. I just sat there like "Hell no..." and I returned it. Is the sequel much more story oriented?

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Tsugunai.

Buy both.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    You know what I would go with Tsuguani, because I bought Dark Cloud 2, and I didn't like it. Mainly because I thought the game was intended more for kids. That's just my opinion.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    i dont know about that 1st game you mentioned but ive got dc2 and i think its ok but if you dont like the building towns bit than dont bother coz you have to do it 4 times however its much better than the original what with fully customizable weapons and robot as for mini games rpg classic fishing and a lil bit of mini golf as well
    rent it if you aint sure tho or just buy play take back
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I really like Dark Cloud 2. It took everything that was good about DC1 and made it better, and everything that was bad and simplified it. Instead of the six (I think 6) characters that you had in DC1 and probably only used to unlock doors, you only have 2 characters that you will probably use equally. They expanded on the town building, making it more fun and customizable. The randomized levels are still there, but they are much less tedious. Also after you clear each level you can play 2 very fun mini games (IMO at least) fishing (which, unlike in DC1 is actually a mini game now), and Spheda (aka golf), winning in spheda can get you some nice items. Also the invention system is a lot of fun. Add great cell-shaded graphics (drool) and a light-hearted yet enjoyable plot, and I think you got a great game with a lot to offer.
  • JordanJordan Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I LOVED DC2!

I never beat it... I got SO close to the end, like 40 or so hours through, and for some reason I just kinda stopped playing it... I still intend on beating it though.

DC2 is such a great game. I never liked the original Dark Cloud though, either.

Later
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Stay away from DC2, especially if you didn't like DC.
    Get Tsugunai.
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Feb. 17 2004,14:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I did alittle "research" to see which games I haven't played yet.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I guess you don't know yourself very well, eh? tounge.gif

I say rent them both to see which you like more, then base your opinion on that. Going with the opinions of others is a fine way to decide, but if you buy a game and don't like it, well, that's $70 you could've spent on something better.

If you can't rent... then... I dunno. Let God sort it out?
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Never played Tsuganai. I loved DC2 though. DC2 is a little slow for the 1st 8-10 hours or so while your collecting your supporting characters. After that its wonderful. I played it for 80 hours and enjoyed almost every minute of it. If you get it though i recommend getting a hint book also. Inventing is kinda a pain in the rear if you dont have one. DC2 greatest hits edition should be coming out in a few weeks (its almost a year old) so you might want to wait though.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jordan @ Feb. 17 2004,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I LOVED DC2!

I never beat it... I got SO close to the end, like 40 or so hours through, and for some reason I just kinda stopped playing it... I still intend on beating it though.

DC2 is such a great game. I never liked the original Dark Cloud though, either.

Later[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think that's reason enough to not like the game. Just stopping to play the game without a reason might mean that you're bored of it, which means the game isn't as good as you thought it is.

Anyway, I would recommend Tsugunai! The battle system and music are the major strong points in this game!!! Plus, I love the magic and summon system in this game! The magic effect during battles will blow you away! The graphics in town and battles are very smooth. (I guess you can tell from a few screenshots lying around.) The different characters you use to battle is very unique in terms of personality, weapons, and the overall appearance. The story might not be extraordinary, but it's still pretty good; it's definately original.

As for DC2, I had fun in the beginning, but I got so bored of it, especially when you have to go to dungeons after dungeons with endless battles. I have both DC1 and 2 and both are very disapointing.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Alot of you say DC2 is good, so I guess I'll go with...Tsugunai^_^

Now finding it might be hard...Atlus probably didn't make too many copies...
  • Rent CavalierRent Cavalier Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I played the demo for DC2 and hated it. too simple.

I haven't played Tsunagi, but according to Gamepro (back when it was still a decent magazine), the game is a clunky, niche game. For those craving something different.

DC2 id what DC was supposed to be. But a little repetitive.

Then again, I played the Prince of Persia demo, and after dying from a 3-foot fall, I concluded it was the worse game ever, but since everyone else says its great. So demos could be worse then I thought.
    edited February 2004
    Ugh, forget these 2 games! These reviews are turning me off. Somebody suggest something other than Tsugunai and DC2...

BTW, buy Beyond Good & Evil, if you haven't already.
    edited February 2004
    Well be a little more precise...for which console ? PS2 only?

For the PS2, here's a little list of RPGs that I'd recommend:

-Champions of Norrath (new game, excellent reviews)
    -Kingdom Hearts
    -FFX
    -Suikoden 3
    -Castlevania: LoI (rent)
    -XenoSaga
    -Wild Arms 3
    -Shadow Hearts
    -Arc the Lad
    -Jade Cocoon 2 (underrated)
    -Fatal Frame 1&2 (Horror-RPG, IMO)
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Feb. 18 2004,08:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well be a little more precise...for which console ? PS2 only?

For the PS2, here's a little list of RPGs that I'd recommend:

-Champions of Norrath (new game, excellent reviews)
    -Kingdom Hearts
    -FFX
    -Suikoden 3
    -Castlevania: LoI (rent)
    -XenoSaga
    -Wild Arms 3
    -Shadow Hearts
    -Arc the Lad
    -Jade Cocoon 2 (underrated)
    -Fatal Frame 1&2 (Horror-RPG, IMO)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, PS2.

I havent played Champions of Norrath, Castlevania and Fatal Frame. They sound more like rental games to me...

edited February 2004
    Yes, they are rental indeed. Champions of Norrath is more of a buy, but you need friend to play with. Well if you've beaten all the other games in my list, then I'm afraid you have beaten the best ones.

There's also Okage, Dual Hearts, .hacks, Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color (enjoying RPG), Breath of Fire V, Grandia 2&Xtreme, Legend of Legaia 2, Tsugunai or Ephemeral Fantasia (very underrated).
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited February 2004
    i got the same question. Should i get the upcoming action rpg
    Drakengard or the action game Samurai Warriors
    i know that i need a good action game but should i go the rpg route with drakengard.
  • ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    The reviews of the japanese Drakengard have been mixed. I'm not sure how to take them really, I'll no doubt still buy it of course. If you liked Dynasty Warriors though, like alot, then maybe you should go with Samurai Warriors. thats the safer bet, I think.

I for on am debating over Drakengard, Seven Samurai 20XX, and MGS Twin Snakes. Eventually I'll have them all, but I can only get one next month.

~Z
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (risingsun @ Feb. 18 2004,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i got the same question. Should i get the upcoming action rpg
    Drakengard or the action game Samurai Warriors[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Samurai Warriors definitely, if you have someone to play with it'll be great.

BTW, I bought Tsugunai: Atonement today, despite EB pissing me off. EB.com says 14.99 for a preowned copy, yet they gave me a "new one" regardless that it has NO MANUAL and it looked like someone already played it. I had to buy it at 35.99 man, and that's a ripoff. The only thing it had was a white sticker and not a yellow one. I was going for DC2, which EB.com says 29.99 new yet they tried to price it at 39.99 new. So much for that place, I'll remind myself to never go there for pre-owned games.

If anyone is interested in Tsugunai then send me a private message...it doesn't seem that interesting to me.(I'll try to play it anyway though).
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Feb. 18 2004,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"BTW, I bought Tsugunai: Atonement today, despite EB pissing me off. EB.com says 14.99 for a preowned copy, yet they gave me a "new one" regardless that it has NO MANUAL and it looked like someone already played it. I had to buy it at 35.99 man, and that's a ripoff.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Getting a "new" game with no manual is a serious rip. I check, or ask, for a manual every single time I buy a used game, although I confess I would never think to ask on a NEW one. Bummer.

I think if a customer returns a game for full credit, the store can "sell it as new." I don't see a big problem with it, as long as you, the second buyer, has the same option to return the game for full credit.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2004
    EB is a rip-off no matter which way you slice it. I would buy both games new from a non-dedicated shop like Best Buy or Circuit City, if I had to go to a store to do it...there's just too much pressure sale BS to deal with when you shop at an EB, Game Stop Game Crazy, etc etc...I should know, working for one of them. ~sighs~
  • Rent CavalierRent Cavalier Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    If you like anime: .hack (Rent the first couple.)

If you like Sci-fi: XenoSaga or Xenogears.

If you like MMORPG: FFXI

If you like FF: FFX

If you like weird: Okage

If you like quirky dungeon hacks: Suikoden III

If you like classics: FF Chronicles

If you like THE GREATIST RPG EVA!: FFVII

If you have all these: buy a Gamecube, Metroid Prime, and a GBA connector. If you buy two, buy FF:CC
    edited February 2004
    I e-mailed customer service to see what I should do. Hopefully they let me send it in for a new copy, or at least give me my money back...

Anyway, I've been playing Tsugunai and its not that good, but not that bad neither. I guess I'll try to beat it...
  • NoahNoah New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    both are good games. =p