If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

When do you think Xbox can offer some good stuff?

weylunweylun MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
Hey guys,
I bought Xbox a year ago and the only game that I've played on it is The Hunter (the multiplayer game which I played by myself..:( )

Anyway, my Xbox is covered with dust and dog hair now (yes, I have two dogs). When will Xbox offer any DECENT RPG games?

I am sort of counting on Sudeki but I watched the trailer today and it doesn't look as interesting as I thought. Well, the graphics are great but I don't play a good RPG game just for the graphic (hell, I would love to play Star Ocean 1 again if I still have my console!!).

Any rumors about ANY good Japanese RPG on Xbox? How's Baldur's Gate II??? I didn't play the first one so I don't know about the 2nd one. It sounds like it's similar to Diablo with the skill system except you can max them out at lvl 40. Oh well, any idea?

Jimmy

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    The Xbox won't be seeing any good games as long as they don't get the "right" developers to develop games for their console.

And looking at how things are now... it just won't happen. I always figured that you'd have to be more interested in sports games or action games in order to have fun with your Xbox. But even if you're one of those people, it still doesn't have that many games with any quality to offer.

Besides, the games released for the Xbox which are actually good (KOTOR for example), are most likely to be released for the PC within a short period of time, so the risk of missing something isn't really big anyway.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Well, KOTOR is supposed to be good however I didn't like it. However I'm not to fond of North American RPGs: awful character design and lack of story the two main reasons.

If you like MMORPGs True Fantasy Live Online is coming out this summer I believe. Its being developed by Level-5 (Dark Cloud 2) and its graphics (it has the same look as DC2) put all other MMORPGs to shame.

Fable is also coming out sometime this decade.

I also saw a preview of Sudeki and was not impressed.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rook @ Feb. 13 2004,06:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"awful character design and lack of story the two main reasons.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I can agree with awful character design, but lack of story? What North American RPGs did you play? FFMQ?

Most Bioware/Black Isle games I've played have some of the most incredible storylines ever. Especially in the case of Planescape: Torment.

Perhaps the stories doesn't appeal to you, but that's not the same as the games not having any...
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    as soon as True Fantasy Live Online comes out... that game is whats gonna sell Xboxs in japan and make other companies want to make more japanese RPGs on Xbox
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Any rumors about ANY good Japanese RPG on Xbox?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Shin Megami Tensei NINE has been out for some time now and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I was considering buying an import Xbox just for that game, but Atlus announced that they would be releasing a PC port (which I'm still waiting for...).
  • weylunweylun Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

Well, sadly, I HATE those sports games....and racing games. ?I hate all those games for some reasons. ?They just don't attract me, so I guess I bought the wrong console. ?lol ?I just thought maybe Xbox may attract some big developers like Square-Enix or whatever. ?

Mmmm..Fable looks boring to me and to be honest, Fable looks like a computer game and if it just looks like a computer game to me, I might as well play it on my computer. ?

Well, I just quite playing Diablo (I still think this is one of the best Online Games!!) because I played too much and it hurst my business. ?lol ?So I don't think I'll play another Online Games until I am a millionaire.....hahahaha. ?It's a goal but it won't happen any time soon. ?Online Games are just too addictive and the only way to control myself is to avoid them. ?lol

Damn, I've been a huge fan of Tales series....and looking at Tales of Symphonia (spelling?), man, I should have bought Gamecube instead of Xbox!!!! ? ?

ps: ?I think a lot of North American RPG games have good stories but all their systems are too similar to each other. ?Almost all of them are Dungeons and Dragons-based...like the class system: Warrior, Wizard, Barbs.... ? ?I don't mind these classes but sometimes I don't like my characters being classified like that. ?I like Star Ocean 3 system the best...oh well, it's just my taste. ?

Jimmy

• TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Well if you don't mind straying from RPGs, the best Xbox game I've EVER played is Halo. I can't stand the controller on the Xbox though, so I don't think I'm ever gonna go any further then playing my buddy's.
    edited February 2004
    Mmmm....I don't like Halo kind of game....something like Legend of Zelda: Windwalker I found REALLY stupid. I played the demo and it is soooooo boring....I don't even know why it sold so well. sarcasm.gif

Anyway, I guess I'll give up Xbox for now...to save up some money for later PS2 games.

Jimmy
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    might i make a sugestion...Xbox has come out with what i think are good RPG's, such as Splinter Cell, and most off all MGS, exalent game.
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Splinter Cell = RPG eh.gif .... well .. have it your way confused.gif

Anyway the xbox is a good way to play pc games on the tv, but not more yet
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    It's not really an RPG player's system and I really don't see anything that can't be played or ported to a PC. Halo is now on Pc so I don't care that much. The only things that have a small amout of my attention are the Sega games, 2 of the online games and the future game Ninja Giaden...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    When will XBOX have a good RPG collection? Let me put it this way, see that pig over there? Notice that he's not flying yet.
  • JordanJordan Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Hmmm...
    True XBOX is not exactly an RPGamer's haven...

But it still has a decent selection if you're interested in other genres.
    I just got my XBOX, and to my own surprise there's a decenty amount of good games. I don't even like First person shooters... at all.

First of all KOTOR kicks ass. the first time I played it I didn't like it. But if you let yourself get into it for a couple hours, you'll like it. It's a little different, but it's great. even if you couldn't care less about Star Wars (like me!)

Next, is Panzer Dragoon Orta. Good game. Haven't played much yet. but it's good. It's hard!

ToeJam & Earl 3: mission to earth. This game is great. Especially two player. I loved the old-school TJ&Es so this game was right up my alley.

Jet Set Radio Future. If you liked JGR you'll like this game. it's great.

Ninja Gaiden. Coming March 3rd. It's gonna be the best game for XBOX to date. The reason I bought an XBOX. It's going to be incredible. Period.

Otogi: Myth of Demons... I don't have it yet, but it looks sweet. I'm planning on picking it up as soon as I see it in a store.

Sudeki. Looks promising. I hope it turns out to be good as it looks.

Anywho, yeah, I have PS2 and XBOX too. I was very skeptical about getting the XBOX, but it was worth it. It has plenty of sweet games.

Later
    edited February 2004
    Well, it's true that Xbox does have some "other" good games. I am quite picky when it comes to RPG games. lol I guess it's because I've been playing the Japanese-style for a long time and Xbox RPG games don't seem very Japanese-style to me. But it dosen't mean they will suck...it's just that I need time to love them and get used to them.

Speaking about North American RPG games, I am playing Neverwinter (the first one) right now and it's been fun. One thing I realize is that NA RPG games involve so much "talking". It's like you have to read almost every single words to be able to understand what's going on. I guess I have the habit of quitting conversations since I don't understand Japanese and I tend to skip the conversation. lol

Anyway, I like Neverwinter's system but how come the monsters that you killed don't respawn after you exit the game and come back?? Is it their way to limit your Experience so that you don't grow too strong before the boss?

Jimmy
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Feb. 12 2004,21:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Most Bioware/Black Isle games I've played have some of the most incredible storylines ever. Especially in the case of Planescape: Torment.

Perhaps the stories doesn't appeal to you, but that's not the same as the games not having any...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ew. Bioware's writing has always seemed so stale to me. Maybe its just a direct consequence of their reliance on old, tired settings such as Forgotten Realms and Star Wars, but I've yet to see a story out of these guys that I'd even call compelling. (As an aside: "compelling" is a few steps down from "good"; I call a story "compelling" when I don't like it much but don't really want to complain about it either.) I think it's a bad sign when the most memorable character in Baldur's Gate 2, an "epic RPG" with a supposedly world-shattering story and a cast that numbers in the dozens, is a hamster with a monosyllabic name and no spoken part. I don't think I can even name a single character from NWN, and I'm pretty sure I played that one all the way through. The actual plots from both games are memorable solely for their predictability.

Ironically, I am fond of the sidequests in Bioware's games. I kinda wish they'd just make a game full of those, instead of mucking things up with one of their ham-fisted attempts at an over-arching storyline.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    You haven't played Torment, have you Ashgad?
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Feb. 17 2004,19:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You haven't played Torment, have you Ashgad?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nope. Am I to believe that its (presumably better) story is the exception, or the norm? I ask because I was led to believe that BG2 and NWN were good examples of Bioware's skill at storytelling.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Feb. 18 2004,08:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nope. ?Am I to believe that its (presumably better) story is the exception, or the norm? ?I ask because I was led to believe that BG2 and NWN were good examples of Bioware's skill at storytelling.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The exception. By far. Don't misunderstand, though.

Torment isn't like any other Bioware/Black Isle game... in fact, Torment isn't like ANY other game. Its story and character development is so extremely deep and superb (well, at least if focusing on int/wis/char) that I cannot find words to describe it. BG, NWN or KOTOR doesn't even come close to this masterpiece.

It also bends the rules quite a bit compared to other games following AD&D. I've never played a game with more dialogue. I think I fought 8 battles in total the first time around, with around 80 hours of gameplay. The rest was dialogue. Superb dialogue.

Torment never gets the attention it deserves. It has always been overlooked by Baldurs Gate, or even Icewind Dale, which is rather sad if you're looking for an interesting plot.

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Aye. If plot is a major concern, Torment is the PC rpg you want to be looking it. Heck, someone converted the script to a text file, and I've got it saved on my harddrive. 917 Kb in plain text format. Extremely skillfully done too. It's one of the very few games I've played that I can say doesn't answer 95% of it's problem through violence. You are far, far more likely to gain levels and experience though conversation then through killing. Come to think of it, the only time I've ever managed to actually lose at Torment was when I decided to solve a problem by violence when I shouldn't have.

As for the average, I couldn't tell you. The only other two Bioware games I've played are BG1 and Icewind Dale, and I didn't get very far in either - low level AD&D characters and combat-heavy games are a cardinal sin IMHO.
    edited February 2004
    Torment is that good? mmmm.....

While I like good RPG stories, I tend to like FFseries because I love watching those Movies. One that stands out the most in my mind is the scene when Tidus was trying to comfort Yuna in the lake/pond (forgot the name). My god, that part is just so wonderful especially when the music comes on.

Well, it's kinda hard to memorize the characters in Nevernight Winter because there are so many of them and their names are so long! lol And there are so many selections when you talk to them which I find quite annoying sometimes. lol Sometimes I just want to jump to battle and skip all the lengthy conversations. lol

I don't know...I still put more emphasis on battle system then the story, but music is MUST. A good music can make a huge difference in my opinion. Now it reminds me how bad Suikoden 3's music is....oh god, that battle music is just so lame. I finished the game once and that was it. lol

Jimmy
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    There are SOME Xbox RPGs, but there aren't many good ones. I managed to pick up a cheapo copy of Gladius the other day and that's a really fun strategy/RPG hybrid. Recommended smile.gif
  • DiebleinDieblein Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Just want to add something to BalduresGate because you asked for it:

If you like Diablo2 with even more Hack n Slay and without ANY kind of story really without ANY BIT of story.. Then you?ll enjoy Baldures Gate..

The console game doesn?t have anything in common with the Pc games.. truly sad.

I am enjoying Zelda:TWW on my cube.. I don?t think it is boring.. I can?t wait to play Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos and FF:CC. And the only Rpg I would buy the xbox for is Fable.

Kotor is the only gr8 rpg on the xbox today and I enjoyed every minute playing it on my Pc.

Thats it from me.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    there are a few Xbox RPGs I can think of... I havent played all of them but some of them actually are japanese Phantasy Star Online is one of them another one is Black Stone: Magic and Steel although I have not played this one and I have heard it was ######. I recomend Shenmue II on xbox esepecially if you have played the first one on Dreamcast... those are some of the japanese RPGs on xbox I can think of that no one has mentioned yet
  • SparhawkSparhawk New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Did anyone mention Fable? ?It's supposed to be an Xbox exclusive, coming out in June. ?I was thinking about geting an xbox just to play it. ?

Looks like you can be good or evil like Kotor. ?What's interesting is that I read you can get married. ?I guess the bad part also is the ability to grow old. tounge.gif

Here's a description of it:

Forge a Hero Based on Your Actions - Age and evolve a hero or villain through the actions you choose and the path you follow &#8211; be it for good, evil or in-between. Ply the way of the sword and see your muscles bulge. Weave the dark arts and witness power crackle at your fingertips. Skulk in the shadows and watch your skin bleach.

Engage in Intense Real Time Combat -Collect battle scars as you duel with a world of cunning foes and deadly creatures. Master an array of deadly weaponry as you hone the art of blade-craft. Hunt your quarry using subterfuge and stealth. Weave death from the elements as you harness the dark arts of the arcane.

Build Your Living Legend - Through deeds and actions, build a name for yourself across the land. Recruit allies and followers. Gain glory or notoriety. Make friends and enemies. Interact with a living world of people, places and event all reactive to you. Hero or butcher? Who will you be?

Explore and Shape a Living, Evolving World- Champion or manipulate an ever-changing land with competitive and cooperative heroes, dynamic weather systems and deformable environments. Interact with teeming cultures, creatures, and citizens from various towns and cities.

Hone Your Character with Scores of Unique Skills and Extras -Master new abilities and add possessions as you develop.

Never Play the Same Game Twice - Once you finish your adventure, go back and try the experience again, forging your character and thereby a new tale with unexpected twists and turns, new skills, powers, influences, allies and enemies.

• NoahNoah New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I dont understand how or why the xbox is still alive to this day. they havent had any good releases yet in my opinion, kinda makes me sad. ;_;