If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Cite some things that you find "Odd" in some RPGs.

2»

Comments

• GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    - Dungeons are almost everywhere. Who whould spend time making such vast structures across the world?...
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Yeah indeed... You know, I am starting to lose interest in RPG's hahahaaha! They are all so.... full of oddities!!

You know, I saw those Warcraft MMORPG screenshots... THAT GAME LOOKS SWEET!!!

Too bad my PC can't handle it > : (

Oh well... But back to Console RPG's

I found another oddity found in a large number of RPG's

The main character DOESN'T SAY A SINGLE FRIGGIN WORD IN THE WHOLE GAME!!! besides the occasional Yes and No option you have to decide upon... What's that all about? The worst was in Breath Of Fire 4, where Nina would be like answering for the hero..... where everything you would imagine the hero saying, she would say it with something at the end of the sentence like: Right Ryu?

Owww... SO stupid, Im such an idiot for wasting money on that game... While I should have known, I mean, I bought BoF3 too!! GRRR!!!
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daniel36 @ Feb. 07 2004,11:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Owww... SO stupid, Im such an idiot for wasting money on that game... While I should have known, I mean, I bought BoF3 too!! GRRR!!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Woah, Woah, WOAH! Those are 2 great games there!
  • DassrallionDassrallion Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I have another odd patern in rpg's and I admit I am annoyed with this one. Ever notice how whenever your character is accused of a crime or found by enemies, they go down without even trying to resist? And usually the enemies are pathetic and could be easily slaughtered. Examples-Final Fantasy( Several of them), Chrono Trigger, Knights of the Old Republic and many more. And don't forget the pathetic villain who after taking a horrible beating from your party ends the battle and laughs at how feeble you are, even though you just pounded him. Then the most annoying part happens, when your characters start saying things like, "He's just to powerful!" Then the villain uses some stupid super attack that he never uses again, even when facing defeat he still refuses to use the super spell. And of course he is defeated, and all he had to do was use his super attack to win... One example of this is Golbez's lightning attack. One last point, Why do the mysterious loner characters always have the best lines? When you see Auron in thought in Final Fantasy X is he actually thinking of some cool phrase to say?
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dassrallion @ Feb. 18 2004,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have another odd patern in rpg's and I admit I am annoyed with this one. Ever notice how whenever your character is accused of a crime or found by enemies, they go down without even trying to resist? And usually the enemies are pathetic and could be easily slaughtered. Examples-Final Fantasy( Several of them), Chrono Trigger, Knights of the Old Republic and many more. And don't forget the pathetic villain who after taking a horrible beating from your party ends the battle and laughs at how feeble you are, even though you just pounded him. Then the most annoying part happens, when your characters start saying things like, "He's just to powerful!" Then the villain uses some stupid super attack that he never uses again, even when facing defeat he still refuses to use the super spell. And of course he is defeated, and all he had to do was use his super attack to win... One example of this is Golbez's lightning attack. One last point, Why do the mysterious loner characters always have the best lines? When you see Auron in thought in Final Fantasy X is he actually thinking of some cool phrase to say?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    To branch on that: Developers REALLY need to think of better things that GUARDS to keep you from entering a certain area...you just killed hundreds of other foot soldiers like the one you're facing, but nope...the stoic bastard won't let you pass.

I mean, it is nice of your party to honor his chosen vocation by respecting his authority, but really, it just doesn't make any sense.
  • fuzzyngfuzzyng Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Feb. 04 2004,22:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nameless, silent characters in really old RPGs, who have no personality whatsoever, for some reason have a stat called "charisma"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    yeah, and what is the point of having those type of stats when they have no affect in game play... PnP RpG's had them for a reason, but this like "charisma" have NO effect, what-so-ever in console games, whats the use of programing it in...?
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Unless it's based on PnP rules. Like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc.

-The most powerful of weapons and spells were created long ago, by an extinct civilization. No advancements have been made since.

-I can heal! You can't! Hahaha!

-Things come in muliples of 2. 2 Gods, 4 Crystals, 6 Powers, 8 Elements.

-The tough, cool guy, is a silent loner with a tragic past. And is also the icon of many a fan boy.

-Resurrection only works on combat wounds recieved in structured combat.

-The Great Wise One who sends you on your Quest of Destiny never lifts a hand to help.

-Why are legends always so weak?
    edited February 2004
    Another thing I find weird is how the characters move in battle in some RPGs. After they attack an enemy, they always have some sort of power or infinite energy to jump backwards to their battling position. I like it in games like Grandia where they actually have no positions...
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    - In towns, all people do is stand in the same spot ALL THE TIME, never moving anywhere else

- It is quite feasible for a beginning character to walk out into the wilderness and have the #### kicked out of him by a team of butterflies or rabbits or something.

- The whole concept of levelling up is weird - who ever said "I'm a level 3 mechanic" or "I'm a level 7 judge"?

- What is it with the lack of money back guarantees? You buy something, find out its rubbish and when you try and get a refund he'll only give you like a third of the price. The cheap git.

- People have about 4 or 4 phrases they cry out in the middle of a battle as 'battlecries'. They say very little else.

- Mages always have long hair. Always.

I actually like these little quirks in RPGs. I got a good laugh reading what other people wrote. Let's face it, if developers took them out of the games everyone would miss them. Except for getting defeated in battle by butterflies, THAT I wouldn't miss...
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    -- The "bubble out of the nose while sleeping" thing isn't all that weird. It's the Japanese equivalent of us putting "zzzzz" over a person's head to show they're sleeping soundly. smile.gif

Here's one:

-- The charisma-free, absolutely silent adolescent "hero" is the world's ultimate chick magnet.
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    How about this little situation, which happens QUITE a lot!!

You are somewhere with a lot of gaurds... actually, not necesarily, but it happens often in a place with lots of gaurdsmen.... You (easily) slay them all, and in the last room this general stands there with a little group of the same gaurdsmen. He sends them to you, you easily kill them, he says something like.... I dunno, but you get the choice of giving up or going again, and he sends another same group at you.... You could pretty much slay out an entire nation of gaurdsmen, easily, but well, we want the story to continue, so we choose give up after slaying about 300. Then we fall to the ground, get beat up, and wake up bruised and in a jail....

*sigh*

And why are rabbits always so violent!!!

• GrieverGriever New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I got some: Whenever you fight the main boss early in the game, and you do everything possible to beat them, but the 'non linear' storyline doesn't allow you to beat the boss at that point.

You defeat one threat, only to learn that an even bigger threat looms. One you probably don't really care about, at that point in the game.

It doesn't matter how far technology has advanced, someone always has a sword.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Why are rabbits violent? Blame Monty Python.

And I hate fighting butterflies in the begining. At least make them some sort of monster, like Slimes.
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    It just hapens that whatever town you might be passing through there is always a crisis that only you can fix. Or the fact that after all the good deeds and the monster you killed you still arent famous until after the game. And always the next town has better Equipment and items then the last and the final weapon is located in the last dungeon in a chest. What villian would keep a weapon that strong in his own lair and not use it. Plus whenever you have other people in your paty the always just meld into the main charcter
  • DassrallionDassrallion Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Here's another one, all problems in the world can be solved by the heroes. And if anyone has a traumatic childhood or tragic past they always find resolution. Even if their father was killed 18 years ago by some bandit they will still find that exact bandit serving the villain. In short in RPG world no crime goes unpunished, if you betray and kill your mentor, decades later their last pupil WILL find you no matter where you hide.
  • tha1anonlyblitzace2thamaxtha1anonlyblitzace2thamax Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    i think its funny how a character can die in battle and you revive them,but then again if that same character can get stabbed,blown up,lost in a gigantic castle for ever,and eaten but you cant simply use a phoenix down,revive,ammonia,or an angel tear.haha funni aint it?!
  • StarOceanStarOcean Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    i think ffcc is wierd all together
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (StarOcean @ Mar. 25 2004,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i think ffcc is wierd all together[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What's so weird about it?