If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What's your most anticipated game of 2004?

bhsbhs MemberFull Members
edited March 2004 in Role Playing Games
I'm most looking forward to either Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner or Tengai Makyou III: Namida. But from that list, my vote goes to Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (which isn't Persona 3). Yes, even though I've already beaten it. The game is that good!?tounge.gif

How about all of you?

Comments

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Tough call, but I ended up going with Suikoden IV, because although Suikoden III didn't appeal to me as much as the others in the series, it was still a pretty good game.

It was a tie between that, Star Ocean, FMIV, Shining Force and La Pucelle, but Suikoden IV just looks too cool.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Just a reminder, but Ys VI gets released this winter by Konami. I would have added it to the poll, but I forgot all about it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Tough call, but I ended up going with Suikoden IV, because although Suikoden III didn't appeal to me as much as the others in the series, it was still a pretty good game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hope the characters don't move quite as stiff as they did Suikoden III. That always bothered me. The graphics look like a massive improvement from what I've seen so far though. I pray that the story is up to par with the rest of the series. I'm sure it will be, but you never know...
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I want Tales of Symphonia so much I already ordered it a few days ago.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I'll go with Tales of Symphonia because I don't think the second Cube Zelda will be out this year. Baten Kaitos gets an honorable mention.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I guess I'll go with Tales of Symphonia, since it seems like the only game that probably won't let me down(for such a long wait, might I add).
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    If we're only talking RPG's, then I'm still looking forward to Star Ocean 3 a lot.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I picked other. As XS ep.2 is what I wnat the most right now.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Suikoden IV...even the worst in the series (III) is one of the best of all RPGs out there. I can't wait to see what happens in IV...absolutely cannot wait...

...well, I HAVE to wait, but... ;)
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I voted Shining Force, but only because I didn't remember River City Ransom until after I voted.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Hmm at first i would have said draken gard but i have a feeling it might turn out to be a little like Chaos Legion in terms of gameplay.

That Disgaea (may 2004) looks pretty good I havent seen a good anime infused game in a while, also Star Ocean 3 promises to be good if the devlopers choose to pull their finger out and actually give us a rock solid release fate

Finally Suikoden 4 looks promising and apparantly its going to be released pal-wise in Q3/Q4 according to http://uk.playstation.com/calenda....&type=0
  • Double_BDouble_B Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I'll go for SO3, 'cause I really don't have lots of rpg-hopes for 2004. 16_angry.gif7_mad.gif16_angry.gif
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Suikoden IV for me because I just replayed 1 and 2 and re-realized how much I like those two

then certainly FF:CC because I'm hardly tempted to order it now but my brother is going to go to the states in march and that's a lot cheaper than ordering it (and I still have a lot else to play anyway)

next would be Star Ocean 3, when it comes .... if it comes sarcasm.gif
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    What about Fable? I can't WAIT for that to come out! I hope it lives up to the hype!
  • NoahNoah New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Star Ocean :Til the End of Time looks really good (IMO), so i voted that one. i havent really been up to date on the releases of 2004 though, so im not sure which is my favorite really. smile.gif
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Other, where other means Xenosaga Episode 2.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I will have to say True Fantasy Live Online, Star Ocean 3, or Tales of Symphonia.... and since when has Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne had a North American realease date?

edited February 2004
    Atlus US has a website for the game:

http://www.shinmegamitensei.com

Here's the domain registration info:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Registrant:
    ATLUS SOFTWARE, INC. (AEJHFKXSJD)
    15255 Alton Parkway, Suite #100
    IRVINE, CA 92618
    US

Domain Name: SHINMEGAMITENSEI.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Salamanca, Gail (30487412I) webmaster@ATLUS.COM
    Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
    15255 Alton Parkway
    Suite 100
    Irvine, CA 92618
    US
    949-788-0455 fax: 949-788-0433

Technical Contact:
    Network Solutions, Inc. (HOST-ORG) customerservice@networksolutions.com
    13200 Woodland Park Drive
    Herndon, VA 20171-3025
    US
    1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 16-Jan-2009.
    Record created on 16-Jan-2004.
    Database last updated on 21-Feb-2004 08:36:25 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS83.WORLDNIC.COM 216.168.225.223
    NS84.WORLDNIC.COM 216.168.225.224[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

And it's been reported in EGM (Scroll down a bit to see a scan of the article):

http://www.kuzunoha.net/haven/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1107&start=0

Normally I don't like to jump to conclusions about possible US releases if it hasn't been confirmed by the publisher, but the US Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs website from Atlus has me sold. If you visit the site, it has an animated picture of the hero from Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne and the "Year 2004" that's displayed has the same font as the Japanese Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne logo.

I suspect Atlus will make an announcement at E3.

• CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Star Ocean of course, especially with the recent news.
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I chose Tales of symphonia. Famitsu said that this game alone was worth buying a GC for. Its a shame the GC doesnt get any RPGs because they look so good on the machine. Even though the game is dated it looks great. ?

I would have chose Shin Megmui Tensei 3 however I'm worried about the game having endless random battles like Eternal Punishement did.

Star Ocean 3, Ys 4, and Suikoden 4 look great also and if Xenosaga 2 and FF12 are released this year it would be the best year ever.

• AlphaSigmaOneAlphaSigmaOne New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    For me it was a tight race between FM4, Suiko 4 and SO3; which, by all accounts, are my three favorite series. smile.gif

But, I had to go with FM4 because I was just so happy to see if it was being made. The Star Ocean and Suiko sequels were pretty enevitable, but the chances of getting another Front Mission looked pretty bleak for a while. I was really happy when I heard the news.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I would have chose Shin Megmui Tensei 3 however I'm worried about the game having endless random battles like Eternal Punishement did.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It has more... and the dungeons are longer too... ?sad.gif

• Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I can't wait for Front Mission 4. I spent so many hours with Front Mission 3, and I liked the gameplay and customizing the Wanzers.

Growlanser is another one, but I haven't heard much about it and I don't know when it will be released in the US.

And is Shin Megmui Tensei 3 like Persona 1 and 2? Is it basically the next sequel for the PS2? I saw that it was going to be released in the US, but I also don't know much about it either.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    1. Star Ocean 3
    2. Other - Xenosaga Episode 2
    3. Tales of Symphonia
    4. Suikoden 4
    edited February 2004
    OMG am I an idiot FFXII of course how did we forget this one guys?
  • weylunweylun Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I picked Star Ocean 3 only because I love this game so much...in fact, I've already beat it several times. lol So I probably won't get the Director's Cut.

However, I am also a huge fan of the Tales of series, but sadly, I don't have a Game Cube!!!! So I didn't vote for Tales of Symphonia.

Jimmy
    edited February 2004
    If the list includes the Japanese release date, then FF12 is definitely one of my top ones!!!!!

wow.gif

Jimmy
    edited February 2004
    Of course. But since there are only like three people that import on these boards, I stuck with US games. But I added the "Other" option to accomodate not only those who were looking forward to a non-listed title, but importers as well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And is Shin Megmui Tensei 3 like Persona 1 and 2? Is it basically the next sequel for the PS2? I saw that it was going to be released in the US, but I also don't know much about it either.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Aside from the ability to speak to demons, no. It isn't anything like Persona. Persona had, for a Megaten game, a pretty heavy emphasis on story. It probably had the best story from the series to be honest. However, the gameplay was dumbed down a lot, particularly in the pair of Persona 2's. Shin Megami Tensei has an excellent plot, but the story sequences are scarce and the character development is almost non-existant. However, the gameplay is far superior to Persona. The battle system in particular is a thing of beauty. It combines many of the best aspects of prior Megaten series battle systems and throws in a couple of surprises to boot. It's strategy heavy though. Leveling up doesn't earn you a very heavy stat increase, so winning many of the boss battles requires that you exploit the press-turn system to swing the battle in your favor. And no reviving either. Once the hero is dead, it's game over. When you factor in the ruthlessly long dungeons and the scarce amount of save points... well... it can be a taxing game to play, but well worth the occasional headache.
    It's for people who prefer games over interactive movies basically.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (weylun @ Feb. 24 2004,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If the list includes the Japanese release date, then FF12 is definitely one of my top ones!!!!!

wow.gif

Jimmy[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    FFXII may be out here by the end of this year... FF usually releases in spring/summer in japan and then holiday season that year in america. its been that way for a while. so guessing that FFXII does come out in summer in japan then hopefully we will get it around christmas and that is fine by me
    edited February 2004
    Oh, hooray!!! Let's hope we get to have FF12 as a Christmas present!

Jimmy
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (weylun @ Feb. 24 2004,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, hooray!!! ?Let's hope we get to have FF12 as a Christmas present!

Jimmy[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don't bet on it