The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

FFX-2 a Chart Topper in Europe

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Latest Updates
Guess the name really does sell...

Story's here.
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• Neo_Bahamutff7Neo_Bahamutff7 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    i got the game and its no wonder y its a big seller here in europe. it has improved on the amasing final fantasy series!!
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Castomel @ Feb. 25 2004,06:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Guess the name really does sell...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Or it could be that people actually like it.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • edited February 2004
    The game is amazing. wow.gif
    Just finished it. A great addition to the FF series. Hope new ideas like this are tried again especially sequels as they help to explain how everything came to be. Well thats what i got from X-2 anyway.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    This was a pure guilty pleasure on my part. I loved the way the battle system was set up, but everything else made me wince more often that I would have liked... Was still enjoyable, though.

The plot would have been more substantial if it had better, more solid ties to FFX.
  • Crimson FlameCrimson Flame Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I also really enjoyed the game. It wasn't as bad as eveyone said it was. Actually it wasn't bad at all.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Or it could be that people actually like it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No! That is impossible. Anyone who bought this game was FOOLED by Square-Enix into thinking it was FFXII. I mean, look at it -- it has good graphics! That means there cannot possibly be gameplay. And Yuna with guns? What is this, Tomb Raider? And Yuna singing? What is this, Spira Idol?

But seriously, I'm glad Europe is enjoying the game.
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Hey, I liked the game, too. It was a little too pop-ish for me sometimes, but the game mechanis were still enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not a huge fan of mission selection, either, but it turned out to be okay in the end. Granted, I'm not jumping up and down to play through it again at the moment, but it was still fun while it lasted.
  • Neo_Bahamutff7Neo_Bahamutff7 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Feb. 25 2004,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And Yuna with guns? ?What is this, Tomb Raider? ?And Yuna singing? ?What is this, Spira Idol?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Would u rather of had just swords and daggers? i thought that the Gunner and songstress jods were a nice touch to the gameplay, but thats only my opion! confused.gif
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (XeroZohar @ Feb. 25 2004,08:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The plot would have been more substantial if it had better, more solid ties to FFX.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm confused. It's a direct sequel. The ties were all over the place. Were you simply expecting X all over again? It didn't just rehash everything that worked in X.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neo_Bahamutff7 @ Feb. 26 2004,01:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Would u rather of had just swords and daggers? i thought that the Gunner and songstress jods were a nice touch to the gameplay, but thats only my opion! ?confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Might want to work on your sarcasm detector.
  • NeostormNeostorm Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Would u rather of had just swords and daggers?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

-> Yes. ?See... It's called Final Fantasy.

Yu aslo mite want to werk on hte speling too.

Everything in this game has been done better by previous installment in the series, (except for the low-brow sex appeal). It's disgraceful and might as well be produced by the MTV of video games. Fans of this game will just eat whatever is shoved in their face and labled "hip, new thing".
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neostorm @ Feb. 26 2004,10:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Would u rather of had just swords and daggers?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

-> Yes. ?See... It's called Final Fantasy.

Yu aslo mite want to werk on hte speling too.

Everything in this game has been done better by previous installment in the series, (except for the low-brow sex appeal). ?It's disgraceful and might as well be produced by the MTV of video games. ?Fans of this game will just eat whatever is shoved in their face and labled "hip, new thing".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You might want to try opening up to what's being put out now instead of burying yourself in the past. "Fantasy" is a much broader term that the elitists like us to think it is. Newsflash - FF6 came out 10 years ago. And even THAT had mechas, guns, and loads of machine technology. So why does that one get a free pass when 10, which is grounded in a world where technology barely exists, is slammed as being "non-fantasy?"

Fortunately, the game buying public seems to care more about, you know, ENJOYING what they play, instead of whining from the minute they know of it's existence. Unlike some people here who are already declaring 12 to be the worst FF ever when they DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S IN IT.

But what would I know, I'm just some idiot who plays modern games. I must only like things with flashy graphics and hip gameplay. I can't possibly think for myself.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Actually...

What Final Fantasy 6 would likely be referred to as is steam-punk. More industrial age fantasy based around steam-type contraptions that do fantastical things. This type of story tends to be a bit past medival age, but not really. Of import here though is that is is a noticiably separate genre from Fantasy in general. It's often a sort of middle ground between fantasy and sci-fi.

Fantasy, in general, is referred to as being quite frankly medieval and largely european medieval. Arthurian legend, Tolkien, and most dragon tales are prime examples of this genre. Ergo, referring to something that is steam-punk as Fantasy genre is a bit stretching it.

Now, there's the obvious point: Square doesn't give two ####s about this sort of thing when it's continuing it's flagship game. When you raise the fact that it has fantasy in the title and therefore must be within the Fantasy genre, you are being really silly. There are plenty of books with 'fantasy' in the title that have nothing to do with the overall 'Fantasy' genre.

Dracos
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rebochan @ Feb. 26 2004,09:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm confused. It's a direct sequel. The ties were all over the place. Were you simply expecting X all over again? It didn't just rehash everything that worked in X.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not sure how to explain my opinion... I just feel the story wasn't deep enough... Enough was explained, and there were enough flashbacks, I will agree, but if we had seen some of this stuff in X, then I would have felt better about it. I wasn't saying it "rehashed" X in any way.

The best way I can sum it up is this:
    The way it is: "Hey, this stuff ALSO happened in FFX".
    The way I would have preferred it: "Hey, remember event x that happened? Here's why and more detail."

Examples:
    "<span class="spoiler">Vegnagun</span>" was just sitting under Bevelle the entire reign of Sin, never used once. Before you scream that this was covered in the game, as I know it was, I don't LIKE that it was covered that way. "<span class="spoiler">AKA, never used because it couldn't be controlled.</span>"

Crimson Knights: I would have liked to have seen them in FFX, but then given the opportunity to expand on who they were/are in X-2. Instead, Nooj, Paine, Gippal, and Baralai were just there, doing what was described in X-2, all the while the X saviors were working toward Zanarkand.

Those are the best two examples I can think of. Like I said, plenty of the game I liked. Yunie and pluckyninja were expanded on well, and Paine is a great character as well, after knowing what happened to her. The evolution of the world was pretty well done. The battle system mechanics were awesome. The attitude of the heroines throughout was refreshing.

I just didn't like the way they plot was done, that's all.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Dracos ?
    I usually consider "fantasy" to simply be the genre where things don't follow the laws of our reality. (As opposed to science fiction, where things follow implications of our reality's laws that aren't in play right now.)
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Metacod: Up to debate and there'd be obvious problems with that interpretation.

Dracos
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Maybe I take the definition of the word fantasy too seriously, but I agree with Metacod's sentiment. While fantasy fiction does seem to prominently follow the whole midievil trend, I've always considered a piece of fiction that obviously doesn't follow the rules of our universe to be fantasy.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Actually, if you want a satisfying definition that unites both genres, you could call it "speculative fiction", or sf. It also has slightly different subdefinitions for sci fi and fantasy, but since I can't remember them, I won't make an ass of myself here by screwing them up ^^;;

Besides, I already pissed people off with my little comment at the start of this thread biggrin.gif
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!