If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Words/Phrases that should be banned

AbenjorAbenjor MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
I was just thinking about certain words and phrases in RPGs that are so worn-out and overused that they just sound stupid when they are used. Although I can't think of too many, one particular one springs to mind.

"Darkness"

Seriously, how many times have you heard this word used in an RPG and actually sounds cool? It's just so lame in context. It's always "Oh, the Darkness will swallow you!" "Watch out for the Darkness!" "Get away from me, Darkness! You scare me!" I dunno, it's just me, but for some reason that word irkes me in RPGs. It might be from the fact that I recently played Arc The Lad 4 and Kingdom Hearts, so I'm pretty much "Darkness"ed out.

Can anyone think of anything else?

Comments

• Rent CavalierRent Cavalier Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Emperor.

I AM SICK OF ALL THESE "EMPERORS" TRYING TO KILL ME!!!!
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Its not an exact phrase but always along the lines of the power of the human soul/heart/spirit
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    lol how about "game over" i mean its used WAY too much.

but i'd say on a serious note...evil. i mean darkness is one thing, evil is another. although darkness is getting annoying as well.

come to think of it i cant find many...maybe i gotta think harder, or play some games over.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SevenStar @ Feb. 24 2004,10:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Its not an exact phrase but always along the lines of the power of the human soul/heart/spirit[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You would rather have a story that not only exhibits, but celebrates the utter lack of humanity?

Though I do understand where you're coming from - many RPGs hit upon said subjects hard, and rarely as an underlying theme. The writers tend to leave little to the imagination.

Then again, in the few RPGs that actually do a good job of calling upon personal strength, the theme as a whole is missed by the vast majority - Final Fantasy VIII is a prime example. Lots of people hate the story because it's too realistic, and not interesting in the way pounding obvious points into bloody pulps is.
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Big evil corperation/president/monarch controls society, group of rebels set out to stop them. That is getting so old.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Actually, I'm sick of hearing about:

Kings, Mages, Knights, Monks, Airships.

I want RPGs to be more realistic.
  • BeowulfCOTGBeowulfCOTG New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Ending RPGs with the word "fin"
    It just dosn't give me much satisfaction
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Feb. 24 2004,06:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SevenStar @ Feb. 24 2004,10:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Its not an exact phrase but always along the lines of the power of the human soul/heart/spirit[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You would rather have a story that not only exhibits, but celebrates the utter lack of humanity?

Though I do understand where you're coming from - many RPGs hit upon said subjects hard, and rarely as an underlying theme. ?The writers tend to leave little to the imagination.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Exactly as i meant. Most of the time though you can anticipate it. I agree with you on the ff8 comment its better that you see a hero go through his worst moments e.g. "breaking down" or depression so that you can actually see the inner strength at the end, rather than the whole journey they're happy and go lucky and prove that they arent weak when you never saw any signs of it anyway
    did i make sense there? wink.gif
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Prophecies. I've been sick of hearing that Ms. Cleo foretold my adventure in cryptic terms 1000 years ago for a long time.

Destiny. See above.

Ancient, powerful, extinct races. Boy, this one is overdone to the a pulp. They were always powerful...but never powerful enough to keep from dying.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BeowulfCOTG @ Feb. 24 2004,14:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ending RPGs with the word "fin"
    It just dosn't give me much satisfaction[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes. What ever happened to "The End"?
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I sense that this is going to branch into a general RPG cliches thread, but what the hey. ?Here's a few things I'd be very happy to not see in another game for a while.

Anything that comes in fours that are referred to as "The Four <insert plural noun here>". ?Example: heroes, crystals, kingdoms (allied or otherwise)

Anything named, without reason or purpose, after something from Earth history, literature or mythology (including, and perhaps especially, the Bible).

All-powerful forces that are simply referred to as "power" or "force". ?Also, things that are named as adjectives, such as Chaos.

The phrase, "I am your father" should be restricted from instances where the person being spoken to has no knowledge of this fact, as should phrases which may be also used to convey this information.
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, things that are named as adjectives, such as Chaos.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh come on! Why not call someone chaos ... you americans call your children like states. tounge.gif Why call your child Florida, California, Massachusets or Texas ...
    I would never call my child like one of the german states ... okay it would sound even more idiotic to call a little boy "Nordrheinwestfalen" than to call him Northcarolina eh.gif , but anyway ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"All-powerful forces that are simply referred to as "power" or "force".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The phrase, "I am your father" should be restricted from instances where the person being spoken to has no knowledge of this fact, as should phrases which may be also used to convey this information.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ummm ... star wars overflow ?! wink.gif

What I don't want to see so often in RPGs is the stupid classification in good and evil ... I liked Arc the Lad 4 for not doing so in the beginning, but in the end it all came down to good and evil again ...
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vampire Hunter V @ Feb. 24 2004,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually, I'm sick of hearing about:

Kings, Mages, Knights, Monks, Airships.

I want RPGs to be more realistic.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Gwahahahaha.

Dracos
    "Please add some realism into my next fantasy."
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    'Chosen One.'

Sometimes I'd rather play just an ordinary guy rather than the re-incarnation of some god or other...
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, things that are named as adjectives, such as Chaos.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Chaos is not an adjective. It's a noun. Or, if you want to go by Greek mythology, I think Chaos actually was a name.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anything named, without reason or purpose, after something from Earth history, literature or mythology [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, okay then.

Okay, this isn't just related to RPGs, but... can we stop all this nonsense about referring to older games as "old school" and more recent games as "new school"? FF6 was a great game, but it was not created through divine intervention, nor was it hand-crafted in 1924 by J. M. Gamesmith, the imaginary founder of videogames, whose ideals of how to make quality games are lost to graphics-mongering and commercialization.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Chaos is not an adjective. ?It's a noun. ?Or, if you want to go by Greek mythology, I think Chaos actually was a name.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Aw, man... I thought I was on a roll there ?sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Okay, this isn't just related to RPGs, but... can we stop all this nonsense about referring to older games as "old school" and more recent games as "new school"? ?FF6 was a great game, but it was not created through divine intervention, nor was it hand-crafted in 1924 by J. M. Gamesmith, the imaginary founder of videogames, whose ideals of how to make quality games are lost to graphics-mongering and commercialization.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

World War III will happen before this does. ?They'll be taking this argument into Thunderdome, mark my words.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    How about, "I'll let you live" after you have clearly defeated the evil poop head? Most RPG have villains like that.

Oh and what about the word "empire" in place of emperor? That word is kinda tiring too.
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I hate the ........ lines that pollute 1st person RPGs.

For example:

Kid: Serge what's the plan?

Serge: ...........

Kid: That's a fantastic idea!
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rook @ Feb. 25 2004,12:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I hate the ........ lines that pollute 1st person RPGs.

For example:

Kid: Serge what's the plan?

Serge: ...........

Kid: That's a fantastic idea![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Does this serge speak in Chrono cross or is he like the hero of the previous installment
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Serge is a mute, most of the time and i really dont like the mute main chars, i mean, golden sun was dreadful for it...

What id like to see gone? any Jive talk a sterotypical blackman has, i mean, its not racist, just misguided...
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    The only good use of the word "Darkness" in a videogame thus far is in WarCraft III. The Demon Hunter's final "annoyed" clip goes something like this:

"Darkness called... but I was on the phone. I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled, 'Pick up the phone, Darkness!', but he ignored me. Darkness must've been screening his calls."

Moving back to the topic, there are many things that can appear in a game's writing that fill me with homicidal rage. Foremost is the blatant use of names from Arthurian legend. Every time I meet a character named Guinevere or any variation on Lancelot, I want to turn the game off right there. Second on my list is misused swear words. You need look no further than FFVII for a wealth of examples of that offense.
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    One thing that gets me is the really LONG phrases, and especially cut scenes.

RPGs should just get to the point. Yes, rich descriptions are vital, but allow the player to select terse versions.

Some people like rich storylines, and others (like me) prefer concise, data dense packets of information. IMHO of course.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""Darkness called... but I was on the phone. ?I tried to *69 Darkness, but his machine picked up. ?I yelled, 'Pick up the phone, Darkness!', but he ignored me. ?Darkness must've been screening his calls."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

"Hello? ?Darkness, hey, what's up? ?The Demon Hunter left you a message? ?No, I don't have his number."
    - quoth the Dreadlord

BRILLIANT
  • cloud_lover2000cloud_lover2000 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Feb. 25 2004,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    can we stop all this nonsense about referring to older games as "old school" and more recent games as "new school"? ?FF6 was a great game, but it was not created through divine intervention, nor was it hand-crafted in 1924 by J. M. Gamesmith
    <span id='postcolor'>
    FF6 is flat, lo-res, and uses tiny sprite characters with little expression. Compared to today's movie-like games, FF6 is *definitely* old school.... in fact, almost ancient.

There's a definite dividing line between 2D sprite & 3D polygonal games.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the point of Athy's post was to dispel the "old school vs. new school" nonsense that hasn't died since FFVII came out seven years ago.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I still get confused when I hear people say FFVII has better graphics than FFVI confused.gif