If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Why Are RPGs your favorite Genre?

Comments

• DartDart Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Many reasons:
    -A fantasy world;
    -Differents points of views from the characters;
    -The dialogue between them (especially when it is well made and not just some clich? stuff)
    -The menu-based battles, (why not?);
    -The fantastic plot and storyline;
    -Talking to townsfolk;
    -Mitology References;
    -leveling up; wink.gif
    -It lasts longer than the others genres;

Well, that's about it.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I just get more out of rpg's than I do out of any other genre of game. It is a combination of things, story, music, character development and atmoshere. There is also somthing quite satisfying about watching your low level character(s) evolve into a high leveled power house.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I like RPGs because they make you think. As opposed to other games that just point you in a certain direction and make you hit a lot of buttons to get through. Sure, RPGs tell you what to do, but you need to solve problems in order to get there, and in battles you need to use strategy to win. Not that you can't just pull out Knights of the Round and kill everything biggrin.gif.
  • ta-chanta-chan Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I'd say i didn't really started to play RPGs. When i was younger, i was more used to easy little action games, or platform games like super marios.
    I was a little disappointed to be able to finish them in only one evening, so i began searching for different games, which could stand longer.
    Now that i'm a little older ( not so much tounge.gif ), well... It's more difficult. I have not been playing RPGs on PSX as much as i did on super nintendo.
    Most of the games i've played on Psx have not drawned me nut as super nintendo games did ( some did anyway, but they were very few, or old rearranged ones ).
    I think the story has a very important role, but I'm more interested in the characters and the way they change ( or not ! ) in the game and i think this part is well too neglected in most of recent rpgs ( like FFs ).
    Actually, I can't really say anymore i love rpgs. I don't think *they make you think* anymore, they're getting closer to movies, i mean, with great effects and an easy-to-understand storyline. The fun has been disappearing with years...
  • T_H_LockeT_H_Locke Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    It is kind of simple to understand why the RPG genre is my favorite one. It is when I came across the game which just happened to be FF6, when I first realized what an open field this genre was. It was best suited to my intellectual prowess and curiosity. It was quite an experience.

Also, I write in the fantasy setting, so it is nice to have all types of media at your disposal. This being one of them, I have thoroughly exercised this media several times to help along a writer's block that I may have had.
  • MMMMMM Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Why do I like RPGs ? What?s so good about them to me? Why am I stretching a simple question? How come I?m not good looking? Okay, okay, I?ll stop with the idiocy. Here are reasons why I enjoy RPGs:
    -the stories are epic, solid, and entertaining
    -deep, diverse, and intriguing characters that greatly help carry out the stories
    -unique worlds
    -powerful soundtracks
    -sometimes presented like cinematic-novels
    -gameplay is interesting and sometimes fun
    -artwork and design
    -humor from the NPCs
    -building up characters
    -inspiring and influential (FF9 inspired me to write a story. You can find a prologue of it on Miscellaneous, under the topic: Imagination Time&#33wink.gif

Well, those are my reasons. RPGs are greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat!

smile.gif
  • EddEdd Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I love to hear good and meaningful stories, therefore im a book person, a movie person, a TV person and, yes an RPG person.
    The music, the graphics and even the battles; to me they're all just ways to help the telling of the story. That's why i love Xenogears because not only was the story so good, but it was beautifully directed as well, using all 3 of the above to enhance the story.
    I dont know where i heard this, and so if someone can tell me where it's from I'd be grateful but someone, somewhere at sometime on something said "A society is defined by the stories it tells"
  • radical dreamerradical dreamer New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I love the stories of RPG's alot. And I like how some rpg's have differn't gameplay. I dont mind the grapgics. 2D or 3D. I like the characters in an rpg too.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ Feb. 04 2003,20:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sure... "descendant"... ? tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Huh? eh.gif
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    i first tried RPGs because i love fantasy. i read the lord of the rings books as a kid and now a days i read authors like Terry Gookind and Terry Brooks. so naturally the fantasy themed story lines from (most) rpgs appeal to me. But what about Phantasy Star which is more sci fi? Well i love the character developement in RPGs, its 1,000,000 times deeper then Mega Man's beat the boss, get a new weapon deveolpment. By the end of a 100+ hour game i really feel like i have accomplised something when my characters destroy half of a planet by snapping their fingers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I still plan to play the Metal Gear Solid series some day...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Note to who ever said this: PLAY IMMEDIATLY!!!
  • RamonezRamonez New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    At first, I never even played RPG's when I was a little kid. When I was about two or three I played Mario and other games like that for the SNES and Nintendo, even into the N64 era. I bought one RPG, but I never really liked it. It was called Quest 64, and that game really turned me off. But, when I was about ten or eleven, currently fourteen, my friend introduced me to the world of Final Fantasy 7. He had the strategy guide and I was browsing through it, amazed at what I saw. From then on, I was hooked. Practically, every game I play now are RPG's, with the occasional fighting game. But, that's the point in my life where my perception in gaming was changed, forever.
  • XaratothXaratoth New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Simply put an RPG is a book that you interact with. You follow along personally with the main character and the other lesser characters through their journey. Nothing else that can be played compares to that
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited January 2004
    for me its really simple. I burn through non rpg games way to quick. I love games that require at least 30hrs. of hard work to complete. Makes me feel like i got my moneys worth. you know some games come out to a dollar an hour ya know.
    plus i love the stories and character development.
    finally its really nice to be abel to eat while im playing a game
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    the stories of course! I love being taken to a different world to get to, on some personal level, get to know the characters and go to places you could never go on earth. It's just a great experience, not unlike reading a good book smile.gif
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The overall world in the RPG. I enjoy the lush, colorful enviornments and adventures, something I could never experience in real life.
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I agree with Growlanser: It something you could never etertainxperence in real life. Its interesting to look through the eyes of someone elses perspective
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    It isn't. Simple, eh?
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    wow this is one old subject!
    My reason is simply the story as i used to read books a lot when i was younger christopher pike, goosebumps ted hughes etc and i dont tend to read as much anymore as i find screen adaptations can always give you an impression of something alot better than what i could conjuer up, and the conjurations of an rpg are always facinating, mystifying and down right kewl. Another thing I like is being able to change a characters course or alter the story which is why i like classic adventure books with a dice and pencil (is that what people mean by a pen and paper rpg?)

There that is my simplistic reason the story and images wink.gif
  • JordanJordan Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I play RPGs like FFX-2 so I can see Rikku's b00bz... SHE'Z sOo0oO00 H0tZ0RZ!!! I tH1nK Sh3Z W3aR1nG a Th0nG!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG!!!
    Later
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SevenStar @ Jan. 27 2004,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"wow this is one old subject!
    My reason is simply the story as i used to read books a lot when i was younger christopher pike, goosebumps ted hughes etc and i dont tend to read as much anymore as i find screen adaptations can always give you an impression of something alot better than what i could conjuer up, and the conjurations of an rpg are always facinating, mystifying and down right kewl. ?

There that is my simplistic reason the story and images ?wink.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, I forgot to mention that also. I used to read the same books as you, but I read less now and play more RPGs.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Jan. 27 2004,11:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    wow this is one old subject!
    My reason is simply the story as i used to read books a lot when i was younger christopher pike, goosebumps ted hughes etc and i dont tend to read as much anymore as i find screen alot better than what i could conjuer up, and the adaptations can always give you an impression of something conjurations of an rpg are always facinating, mystifying and down right kewl. ?

There that is my simplistic reason the story and images ?wink.gif
    <span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, I forgot to mention that also. I used to read the same books as you, but I read less now and play more RPGs.[/quote]
    did you mean you read goosebumps, christopher pike or ted hughes
    pike was the best and the last vampire was one of my fav books as a school boy ?

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SevenStar @ Jan. 28 2004,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"did you mean you read goosebumps, christopher pike or ted hughes
    pike was the best and the last vampire was one of my fav books as a school boy ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I borrowed a few Pike books from my library, I can't remember what they were though. But I have almost the whole Goosebumps collection still sitting in my room(Minus the last 10 "Series 2000" books). I wonder if it's worth anything...
  • mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    i like rpgs the best cuz of the stories and gameplay. also, i tend not to curse as much playing a rpg rather than an action game. did i mention u probably get the most bang for ur buck too. o, and sports games r trash! imo.
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    *Short Video Link in Banner*
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I play RPGs because they are both, to me, relaxing and engaging at the same time.
  • RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I like RPGs because they usually have better stories and you generally have to think a lot more, (developing strategies etc).
  • weylunweylun Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Well, I guess most ppl already covered why they love RPG games. I guess I'll say why the non-RPG games are not as catchy:

1. Action games seem boring to me. Period. Every time I see 007 games on TV, I was like "Who would buy that game??" The gameplay is really not that deep and it becomes boring very soon.

2. Fight Games. I love fighting games but I only love the good ones like Guilty Gear XX, Capcom and King of fighter series. Never like the 3D-type fighting games like Virtual Fighter or Tekken. However, since I am the only one in the family that really plays video game, fighting games become really boring after a while. If you have friends that are "good" fighting game players, then fighting game is a good genre for me. I hate playing fighting games with button-masher players. They just don't know what they are doing... it insults me to play with them. lol

3. Sport games. Sorry man, I have never liked ANY sport games.

Jimmy
  • cloud_lover2000cloud_lover2000 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Story is important to keep me playing, but that alone is not sufficient. I also like beating the crap out of monsters! (I must be a sadist.) And yeah, RPGs do have beautiful graphics & sound. Right now, I'm listening to the Final Fantasy 6 soundtrack. In both movies & games I think sound is an essential element.

Actually my favorite genre is NOT RPGs. They are second. My favorite is the "twitch" games like Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Tetris Attack, Rez, et cetera. I'm an adrenaline junkie!

So for me, the ideal game would be an RPG with rapid-paced, almost frenetic battles... biggrin.gif
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I like RPGs because.... smile.gif

-- they're visceral. I'm not sure how well these stories would hold up in book/movie/whatever form, and don't really care. Much like manga or anime, if an RPG is telling a good story with some interesting characters and some nice-looking visuals*, "deep stuff" is optional. Although I do think the best RPGs do provoke thought along with emotion.

* as mentioned by others, 2D is just as capable of "looking nice" as 3D.

-- I like "getting under the hood" of a RPG battle system, being able to beat it on its own terms, even if it takes a few cuss-word-filled failures and guilt-charged trips to gamefaqs....it provides a different kind of challenge than a platformer or adventure game (which I also enjoy).
  • RaggieRaggie Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    There are many reasons why I like RPGs. I like games with well-developed characters and storylines, and both are better on RPGs than in any other game genre, except the classic PC adventure games. Leveling up your characters, getting more money and spending it on new equipment is addictive. I like strategy, and most RPGs have that. I also like it that if an enemy is too difficult, I can just level up the characters instead of just quit in frustration.

But... I think the number one reason why I like RPGs is that they allow me to travel to imaginery lands that I could never see in reality.
  • TheFoxTheFox Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Emotions and characters are the main reasons for me. Story is incredibly important, but without good characters and well-thought out relationships between them, the game isn't nearly as compelling.