If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Grandia

AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 MemberFull Members
edited March 2004 in Role Playing Games
I got inspired today to make this thread cause today I was wokring at G-Stop and this guy traded in his entire Grandia collection and it brought back really good memories form these games, anyone else like them? I love the battle system in these games (thus why it has been called the best battle system of all time in Grandia 2/Xtreme) I really love these games

Comments

• bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"this guy traded in his entire Grandia collection[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Idiot... ?tounge.gif

I like the Grandia series a lot. Especially the second one. I haven't even completed 75% of the RPGs I own. Those that I do complete, I usually only complete once. I completed Grandia II three times and will probably complete it again sometime in the future. I love that game so much!

The first Grandia was very good also. The story was unimpressive, but the gameplay was excellent.

The only one I wasn't so fond of was Grandia Xtreme, and even then, it was only because of Evann. The battle system was amazing, and I love dungeon crawlers. But I hate Evann so much that I can't bring myself to play the game anymore ?laugh.gif
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    bhs:
    I'm not sure if this is an Xtreme spoiler, but just in case... "<span class="spoiler">If you beat Xtreme, you can go through a 100 level (i think 100) dungeon, of nothing but fighting and finding items.</span>" So if you like the battle system and dungeon crawling, that might make you want to finish the game. ^^
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I'm currently plowing through that "<span class="spoiler">100 level dungeon</span>", but I can't progress past level 90 because I'm still hunting for the best sword and armor that can be found in the 80-90 range. >_<
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I own all three (parallel trippers doesn't count).

I'm not very fond of the first one at all... as I found the characters to be annoying, the plot uninteresting etc. I loved the second one though.

Grandia Xtreme was okay... great battle system, but an entire game focusing almost solely on battles? Nah. And like bhs said, Evann was a terrible character.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I'll rank the Grandia games that I like from best to worst.

1. Grandia
    2. Grandia Xtreme
    3. Grandia 2
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I have Grandia 2 on Dreamcast, but I am thinking about buying it on Playstation 2 as well so I can see the new cinematics, I have also palyed Grandia 2 more than once, I really love that game, but i think the original is the best one by far the story is awesome I think, and I really like the characters, then again there arent a whole lot RPGs that I really hate, but it makes sense why Grandia is so good (you this game was Enix's answer to FFVII right?)
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    While I think that the whole series rocks, I have to say that specifically Grandia II 0wnz0rs Yo0r 80x0rs! tounge.gif

The battle system has already been gushed over so many times, so I won't bother going over that.

With the exception of Millennia, I really liked the characters. Especially Tio. I really like Tio. smile.gif

The music was great, as would be expected of Iwadare-san. And the voice-acting was good too.

And I always enjoy a good "<span class="spoiler">god killing story.</span>" Though it got kinda weird in the second to last dungeon. I still haven't figured that part out.

All of these elements combined have granted this game a place in my top ten RPGs list. I couldn't recommend it more.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AnimeGamer183 @ Mar. 07 2004,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have also palyed Grandia 2 more than once, I really love that game, but i think the original is the best one by far the story is awesome I think, and I really like the characters, then again there arent a whole lot RPGs that I really hate, but it makes sense why Grandia is so good (you this game was Enix's answer to FFVII right?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, I think Grandia was the best one in the series also. Grandia 2 could have had better characters, I think.
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Grandia 2 could have had better characters, I think.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They were cliche, but they were really likable nonetheless. I mean, how could you not like Mareg? "<span class="spoiler">I don't generally find character deaths in RPGs to be very sad, but Mareg's death was kind of depressing. I liked him a lot...</span>"
    Plus Ryudo was hilarious. I love his dialogue. At the very least, Ryudo is better than Evann laugh.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The music was great, as would be expected of Iwadare-san. And the voice-acting was good too.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Damn straight! Some of my favorite songs by Iwadare were from Grandia II.
  • RosewoodRosewood Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I've played G and GX within the last year, and enjoyed both. The battle system is one of my favs (it's one of the few that I feel I have a good handle on), but I'm not as fond of the stories or the characters.

I loved the mana egg system in GX--although it takes a good long time to build up the good eggs, you don't need the absolute best ones to finish the main game (I didn't, anyway...).

I have G2 on PC, but am reluctant to start it because I don't want to run out of new Grandias to play. Replaying just isn't the same for me sad.gif
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I rented Grandia 2 a while back and I really wasn't that impressed. Though, maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance. The battle system was pretty cool, but the characters and the graphics annoyed me pretty bad.
  • mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    i got all 3 also, but have only played and beaten grandia 1. only reason i never upgraded my grandia 2 from dreamcast to ps2 is because i heard the graphics for 2 on the ps2 were terrible. was a terrible port or something.

anyway, by working @ gamestop do u get good deals or discounts? 1st dibs? meh?
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    *Short Video Link in Banner*
  • adiemusadiemus Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Enjoyed all three alot. My thoughts are the same as everyone: great battle system, good music, good characters (mareg and tio are my favorite). Grandia 2 was more to my liking as far as the plot goes. Plots concerning "<span class="spoiler">Dead gods and people following null religions are always favorites of mine. The game got you thinking about faith in yourself and not relying on gods that aren't even there to watch over you. Plus it had the two philosophical debates: one being wether or not Millenia is truly evil since she is apart of Valmar and two, can a being previously with no soul or freedom find them (or at least I think that's the second one I'm a little tired writing this right now).</span>" Maybe I'm reading to much into it but then I treat rpg's like books. When I read a book I think about the concepts and try to learn something from it. Anyway, I completely agree that Evann's character had the worst person to do the voice. Plus his lines weren't all that great either.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AnimeGamer183 @ Mar. 08 2004,01:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(you this game was Enix's answer to FFVII right?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It could have been, if Enix developed it, which they didn't. GameArts did.
  • CautonCauton Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Grandia.. Now there's a love/hate relationship. I have to say that I really, really can't stand the first game in the series. While I do agree that it, along with it's successors, has one of the best battle systems ever, I never could get into the game. I thought the plot was mindnumbingly dull, and the characters barely tolerable (except for Justin who was entirely despicable).

But I did enjoy the second part, especially because of the more mature plot. Just like adiemus, I've always liked plots involving religion and faith.

Haven't played Xtreme yet - will probably get around to buying it some day, but from what I've heard it's more about battles than story, and thus not very high on my list of priorities.

• SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I liked the grandia series 1 & 2 anyway i think number 2 has a great battle system and good voice acting, while i prefer numer 2 due to the fact that it has better voices and 3d environment id probably be pushed to the other if it were to be remade in 3d glory
  • cloud_lover2000cloud_lover2000 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martyr @ Mar. 07 2004,22:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I rented Grandia 2 ...The battle system was pretty cool, but the characters and the graphics annoyed me pretty bad.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What was wrong with the graphics?

GRANDIA 1: I tired of all the fetching quests and just quit. The story ("I want to be an adventurer!") didn't appeal to me either.

GRANDIA 2: Not great, but definitely worth playing. I liked the characters, the story, and the battle system.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. nails @ Mar. 07 2004,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i got all 3 also, but have only played and beaten grandia 1. ?only reason i never upgraded my grandia 2 from dreamcast to ps2 is because i heard the graphics for 2 on the ps2 were terrible. ?was a terrible port or something. ?

anyway, by working @ gamestop do u get good deals or discounts? ?1st dibs? ?meh?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    working at GameStop, I get discounts, first dibs on whatever I call, promotional goodies,shirts hats and alot of other random things
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Mar. 08 2004,01:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AnimeGamer183 @ Mar. 08 2004,01:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(you this game was Enix's answer to FFVII right?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It could have been, if Enix developed it, which they didn't. GameArts did.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    any good fan of RPGs knows that GameArts was owned by Enix (thus why on the cover of Grandia Xtreme it has the Enix logo on it)
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AnimeGamer183 @ Mar. 08 2004,19:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"any good fan of RPGs knows that GameArts was owned by Enix (thus why on the cover of Grandia Xtreme it has the Enix logo on it)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Really... that's not even true. Sure, they worked together on Grandia Xtreme (not sure if Enix was involved with any of the earlier two, never heard of it though), and Enix published the game. But the entire series was developed by GameArts.

...and Enix surely does not own GameArts.

edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Mar. 08 2004,11:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...and Enix surely does not own GameArts.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    They sure don't. Otherwise, we might see the next Gamearts games under Square-Enix.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Mar. 08 2004,11:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    any good fan of RPGs knows that GameArts was owned by Enix (thus why on the cover of Grandia Xtreme it has the Enix logo on it)
    <span id='postcolor'>
    Really... that's not even true. Sure, they worked together on Grandia Xtreme (not sure if Enix was involved with any of the earlier two, never heard of it though), and Enix published the game. But the entire series was developed by GameArts.

...and Enix surely does not own GameArts.[/quote]
    I know what I am talking about, this is the link that clearly states that GameArts and Enix are affiliated with each other, although as for them owning one another I mis-phrased what was the truth, and as for Square-Enix holding shares in GameArts I'm not sure either although its a question that needs answering, also I went to the GameArts website and there was no new games at all... interesting
    and here is the link to back it up... http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2001/060401a.html

edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AnimeGamer183 @ Mar. 09 2004,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I know what I am talking about, this is the link that clearly states that GameArts and Enix are affiliated with each other, although as for them owning one another I mis-phrased what was the truth, and as for Square-Enix holding shares in GameArts I'm not sure either although its a question that needs answering, also I went to the GameArts website and there was no new games at all... interesting[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's just what I said. Enix published Grandia Xtreme, but that doesn't say in any way that Enix owns GameArts.

It also doesn't say that any of the games were developed by Enix, because they weren't. They were developed by GameArts.
  • cj_iwakuracj_iwakura Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I sure hope that Enix=GA bit isn't true.. Lunar 3 with a Square-Enix logo.. shiver.

Haven't played Xtreme yet, but all the negativity I keep hearing kind of makes me nervous.. I'm big on storyline, and a lack of it tends to turn me off to a game.. but any game with Mark Hamill involved can't be be all bad?

Grandia 1 = fun gameplay, mild story.. cute though. Even if the relationship felt just a bit forced..

Grandia 2 = what made the first worth playing through. Probably the first and last game in a very long time where the graphics literally stunned me. Not even Xenosaga did that. ..an incredible story and game, to boot.
    I've heard the PS2 version ruins it, though. I'll stick with my Dreamcast one.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    What can you tell me of Grandia's battle engine? I've never played one before. What would be a good one to try first?
    edited March 2004
    Grandia I. Easiest.

Grandia II is much harder, IMO. Haven't tried Xtreme, but I'll bet it's hardest, since the game's ALL battle.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cj_iwakura @ Mar. 09 2004,12:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Grandia II is much harder, IMO. Haven't tried Xtreme, but I'll bet it's hardest, since the game's ALL battle.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Xtreme isn't that hard. Maybe when you start off it is, but as you go along things get a bit easier.
    edited March 2004
    What systems are they on? And please, more on battles.
    edited March 2004
    Grandia 1: PS(Saturn in Japan, I think)
    Grandia 2: Dreamcast and PS2; do yourself a favor and get the Dreamcast version.
    Grandia Xtreme: PS2.

The battles.. well, they're pretty standard in terms of setup; turn-based style, but it gets more complex beyond that. I really don't remember THAT much of it since I haven't played either in so long, but it invokes a bit of FF's real-time meters; you have one long meter with little depictions of your party and the enemy's, and whoever reaches the 'finish line' gets to act next.

A sweet thing about this is that you can attack enemies and knock them down the ladder to delay their turn.. and vice-versa, naturally. This is practically a required tactic to survive some battles later on.. and the spell animations in Grandia II are absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and in Grandia I, you can switch weapons and level them up. Which is a lot of fun for replay value.

I'm sure someone who can recall the series better can elaborate on this more, though.. nonetheless, there's a reason why Grandia Xtreme is supposedly worth getting just for the focus on battles.. they're lots of fun.

I just hope the story pays off, too, since it has a lot of history to pay homage to.
    edited March 2004
    Thanks, I'll check them out. The only thing I remember is the OPM said the Grandia Xtreme is not as good as the old ones.