If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Topic stuff

SilentwolfSilentwolf Only SilenceFull Members
edited March 2004 in Site & Forum Support
Title says it all. the suggestions box is a place for people to post ideas and suggestions to improve RPGamer forums, in the hope that the mods, staff and admin(s) take notice when they're next udating this place.

I personally think that (And I'm unsure if it's possible using an engine to power the board) that boardies should have the options to delete their own threads if they are created by accident or something similar, and that thread creators should be given the option to lock the threads they create.
Every sailor knows the tale
of those becalmed at sea
though at peace they can be found
at peace they never be.

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Having a, "Suggestions box," thread is redundant and a little counter-productive, as this entire forum is designed to be a suggestion box. Therefore, I'm going to just pretend that this is a topic about topic-deletion and topic-locking abilities, as per your specific suggestion.

Duplicate topics don't happen often at all, and that's pretty much the only reason topics are deleted around here. There're no shortage of people with the ability to do so when it does become necessary, and deletion of anything causes problems when it comes to rules enforcement and the public relations thereof (i.e. "Really, that guy made a really scummy topic and then deleted it! I'm not just banning him because he dislikes Final Fantasy X-2!").

Topic locking, although a bit subjective, still has to meet certain criteria before it is acceptable. I don't like the idea of people being able to stifle discussion in that fashion, even if it is reversible on a case-by-case basis. Quite a few staff have had their lockings overturned in the history of the boards, and having that possibility for each regular board member would be a bit overwhelming, even were there broader standards for when a topic is lockable.
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Ok fair enough, I thought I'd raise the point because I couldn't see that it had been raised before, thanks for fixing it up anyway Rico...
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    Actually the "author lockable/deletable" thread's a good idea. In the event they create a STUPID thread that doesn't belong, they can delete it themselves so that the moderators won't even have to bother with it. Also being able to delete your own posts sounds nice because some members post by accident (such as a web browser hiccup or something) or otherwise and wish to "unpost". This would save the moderators some work.

IMHO this should be implemented.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" In the event they create a STUPID thread that doesn't belong, they can delete it themselves so that the moderators won't even have to bother with it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If threads were locked for just being stupid, then the misc forum wouldn't be filled with 1-word games, and the FF Forum with "Name your Favorites".
    edited March 2004
    Let me state this more explicitly, since people seem to like to bring it up using the same examples I've already used in my reply:

I will not allow user deletion of topics and posts until such time as our ikonboard version has a feature which does not actually delete them, but move them to a holding bin from which only an administrator can delete them (basically, how the Recycle Bin functions in Windows). This is for content and disciplinary issues.

I will not allow user locking of topics, as the vast majority of users who request topic lockings do not do it for reasons which are deemed acceptable around here. It would save much more moderator time if people would think about their topics for more than five seconds before they posted so the moderators wouldn't have to listen to whining about how, "that topic I didn't put any thought into turned out to be stupid. Bet you didn't see that coming. Lock it despite the fact that there's no rule it is breaking or that is being broken in it."

The last time a topic was deleted was March 1st. The last time before that was February 4th. It is a non-issue from an administrative overhead standpoint, and giving more power to the users isn't going to help the user error factor nearly as much as it will hurt.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    How about allowing us to edit the topic title in the event we make a mistake, but then again that doesn't happen often....
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    If it doesn't happen often, then isn't the best case simply to politely pm the local moderator of that forum area and ask if they could kindly retitle your thread with the correct title?

Why potentially implement something new for what is a generally irrelevent problem?

Dracos
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    Better yet, why not give the poster that power so the moderator doesn't get bothered. They've got enough on their hands policing the threads. Why not let the posters handle some of that work themselves?
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Mar. 10 2004,23:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I will not allow user deletion of topics and posts until such time as our ikonboard version has a feature which does not actually delete them, but move them to a holding bin from which only an administrator can delete them (basically, how the Recycle Bin functions in Windows). This is for content and disciplinary issues.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oooh, I like this idea. We must discuss how you would like to have these messages stored, and who decides what should and shouldn't be deleted. ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited March 2004
    I'm not really sure on the particulars, but it's a halfway-implemented feature in a board system my friend ended up making for some reason (I suppose people like re-inventing the wheel). Anyhow, it appears to be set up so that any deleted thread or post basically gets made invisible, can be viewed in a section of the AdminCP, and from there restored or actually deleted. It's a solution I hadn't thought of before I saw it the other day on how to allow users delete priveleges without it really being able to cause problems.

On other subjects:
    I really don't see what's so hard to grasp about the moderation team not being overworked and it causing new problems to give regular posters extra abilities. If it were such a good idea, why don't one of you make a better argument than, "It will allow us to be less attentive than we already are and then invisibly save face afterwards?.?.?.?er, I mean, lessen the mod. workload."? And really, if it were a better solution, wouldn't we have implemented it from the beginning and just not selected moderators?
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited March 2004
    About the topic-maker deleting his own thread, I must say I don't agree. I have seem people wanting a mod to delete his thread because it haven't turned out what he expected, but the other people were still using that thread.

About you having the ability to delete your own post, that is debatable. In the other forum I frequent we have this ability, and it haven't been used in any harmful way. However, RPGamer is a much bigger forum and it does have it's share of childish people, who could use it to delete a post that started a discussion before a mod can see it and therefore eliminate all of his guilt.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Umm... why does everyone think mods have a big work load? ?Rico might, cuz he's the admin, but honestly, there have been some long stretches with nothing to moderate (at least in the couple forums I patrol..).
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Giving people the ability to delete topics simply gives them too much power, and power tends to be abused. I'm sure we'll have people suddenly making and deleting topics because the topics aren't "going" their way. Example:

Poster 1 makes controversial topic with his controversial/insulting/ignorant posts.
    Poster 2 tries to counter him. Success.
    Poster 3 and beyond does the same.
    Poster 1 cries harassment. He claims people are misinterpreting and flaming him (which isn't true)
    Poster 2 and beyond say Poster 1 is being immature.
    Poster 1 deletes topic and claims victory.

sarcasm.gif
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gpfault @ Mar. 11 2004,12:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Better yet, why not give the poster that power so the moderator doesn't get bothered. ?They've got enough on their hands policing the threads. ?Why not let the posters handle some of that work themselves?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You make it sound like they work 80 hours a week for pennies. (Yes, I am exaggerating.)
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Mar. 12 2004,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Umm... why does everyone think mods have a big work load? ?Rico might, cuz he's the admin, but honestly, there have been some long stretches with nothing to moderate (at least in the couple forums I patrol..).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I just plain stopped moderating, every action I did had someone somewhere telling me I was wrong and am going to hell. Ok, maybe not that far...yet.

There's a lot of features ikonboard is missing, I can tell you that much right now. Very, very, very long list compared to phpBB and vBB

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I sincerely hope that even if a recycle bin method is developed, you don't swap to allowing everyone to delete topics.

Even if it's restored later, all I see coming from such things is a lot of topics getting deleted under the premise Meo pointed out, and it's darn confusing if topics are disappearing and reappearing with any regularity.

Dracos
    Doesn't see a problem with how the system works now.
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    One thing that would be good is being able to rescind your posts. If for some reason you double post or otherwise have second thoughts, you could unpost. However, it shouldn't be allowed if someone else has already posted. THE SITE THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED has something like this. You can edit and delete the last post if it is yours.

BTW: I'd say what site it is, but given that I got restricted for bragging about it recently, I think it best not to mention it.