If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Quoth the Raven Nevermore

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited April 2004 in Latest Updates
Red Raven officially joins the updating crew of Points of View, and he was here to help with tonight's update.

And it was appropriate timing, considering this is the first day of the new scoring system. Please offer your input if you haven't already, we're curious to see how this works out.

May the flaming begin.

Comments

• RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    Haha, I almost had a heart attack when I saw FFVI get a 4, (btw it seems the link to it is broken) then I remembered the new scoring system. ?::phew:: ?I need some sleep or something...
    EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to wish Red Raven good luck in his new position. ?Good luck! ^_^

• VeritasVeritas Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    I almost snapped at the 4... and then I thought "wait... out of 5. Don't kill."
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. ?Man, I'm never gonna get used to this...

And I couldn't get to the FFVI review, either ?confused.gif
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    Well, this was much expected... the larger part of all the review breakdowns consists of 3's. I guess it cannot be helped, but I don't like it.

Ow, such fanboyism around FFVI on the board... who cares what score other people give the games, as long as they've justified it? There's no use going there either, though.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited April 2004
    Hey, thanks, guys, for taking the time to convert our review numbers to the new system.

BTW, the link to the FF6 review's broken. Finally, I don't want my Gladius review to be posted more than once over the next few updates, since I remember sending it several times when RPGamer's mail server was having problems.

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ April 01 2004,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ow, such fanboyism around FFVI on the board... who cares what score other people give the games, as long as they've justified it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Indeed. I myself would only give it a 6.

Wait, new scoring system...make that a 3.

Oh, and I have to give kudos to Otterland for not being fanboyish about Arc II. Nice job. My only beef is that you didn't put 'tedious' in the difficulty rating. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited April 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ April 01 2004,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ow, such fanboyism around FFVI on the board... who cares what score other people give the games, as long as they've justified it? There's no use going there either, though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, since the link was broken there was no way to see anything other than the score.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"BTW, the link to the FF6 review's broken. Finally, I don't want my Gladius review to be posted more than once over the next few updates, since I remember sending it several times when RPGamer's mail server was having problems. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The mail system was having problems? I guess that might explain why they haven't posted any of the reviews I've sent lately. Do you guys need me to resend them?
    edited April 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Roku @ April 01 2004,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, since the link was broken there was no way to see anything other than the score.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ---->>>>> "on the board" <<<<<----
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (solon @ April 01 2004,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, this was much expected... the larger part of all the review breakdowns consists of 3's. I guess it cannot be helped, but I don't like it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

For what it's worth, I felt uncomfortable converting Michael's .hack review scores from 6/6/7/4/7/6/5/7=6 into 3/3/3/3/3/3=3 as per guidelines. ?confused.gif

Since it looks as though this system will be in place for the foreseeable future though, I encourage everyone's future reviews to be a little more "daring" if the blandness of the new scale worries you - if you like an aspect of the game, assign a 4 to it. Hate it? Assign a 2. It'll bring back some of the spice lost from the switch in scales, and also perhaps inspire you to make the reviews more forceful and bold. Keep in mind however, scores of other than 3 need to be backed up with the appropriate amount of text.

As of yet, I'm still without staff access (*cough*) and cannot fix the link or edit a few other small errors in today's update, but will attempt to forward the concerns to the relevant people.

? -Red Raven
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    The broken link is fixed, thanks for the heads up.
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    Congratulations, Red Raven! I'm certain you'll do a great job.

Heh, looks like I dodged the bullet with that FF6 review. I almost got myself lynched... And yeah, the new scoring system sort of threw my .hack// Outbreak scores for a loop. I'm expecting pretty much the same thing for my .hack// Quarentine review as well. Oh well.
    edited April 2004
    What exactly is a spoof review and is it to late to write one?
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    A spoof review is a review written in jest, usually as an April Fool's Day joke. I can't seem to locate one just at the moment, but they're in the archive somewhere.
    edited April 2004
    You can find the Spoof reviews right here.
    edited April 2004
    Thanks guys.....haha these are pretty funny. ^_^