If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - New Games Are Here. Command?

ASVASV MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Latest Updates
I'd laugh and say I get to go and you don't... But that wouldn't be very civil of me, now would it? Anyhow, go read the update.

Comments

• VeritasVeritas Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Roku... you need to stop with the whole play on words in the title thing. It makes the baby jesus cry. Ahead of it's time? Breath of fresh air? The reviews are fine, but just stop. ;)
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Twilight features a stellar storyline, [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Somehow, I think giving that poorly executed outline the credential of a stellar story is... a bit of an overstatement.

Dracos
    "Today I think I'll forgive a vicious murderer because he was obviously acting to kill beasts too!"
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    Well, I liked the characters, theme, and setting, so there you go.
    edited May 2004
    Well yes, the characters are cleverly designed, the theme they chose isn't a bad one at all, and the setting is quite nice, but none of these things change the fact that the story is fairly obviously poorly executed. To be clear, one can have all the same themes as Romeo and Juliet and still be a hackjob production. In other words, I suggest that the score is more based on the story you wanted to be there rather than the story they delivered.

Dracos
    Blatant Arc The Lad 4 basher, but thinks his contentions on it are sound.
  • O Shrouded OneO Shrouded One Hobo With A Huge Heart Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Roku, Roku, Roku...
    Only 3 out of the 8??
    O.o
    You're still crazy, and Amish still stinks
    You definetly need some help tounge.gif
    Hire me for work!
    Follow me on The Twitters!
    “Like” my page so I get some form of internal satisfaction from a number associated with me increasing!
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (O' Shrouded One @ May 03 2004,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Roku, Roku, Roku...
    Only 3 out of the 8??
    O.o
    You're still crazy, and Amish still stinks
    You definetly need some help tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You definitely need to work on your spelling. ?biggrin.gif

Seriously though, we're catching up as best as possible. ?Might as well get some of the reviews up before E3 begins, ne?

• RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Veritas @ May 03 2004,03:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Roku... you need to stop with the whole play on words in the title thing. ?It makes the baby jesus cry. ?Ahead of it's time? ?Breath of fresh air? ?The reviews are fine, but just stop. ?;)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ....but puns are so fun ^_^
    Seriously though, it was just fate that all my pun titles ended up in the same update.

As for the other comments......I wrote 15 yesterday (no I'm not crazy, just have a lot of willpower) since ASV kinda challenged me to and only 3 were posted since they're backlog from March.

• Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Well, well. Always good to see some newbies.

Tribulation's Demi Kids review was interesting, in that it was informative about a game I really knew nothing about. It was a bit... enthusiastic, though.

Kupomogli's Arc the Lad retroview was a little dry, but I thought it provided some good info. There were some pretty serious run-on sentences in there which we really could've done without, though.

Heh, Roku made baby Jesus cry. Anyway. It's nice to see you maturing as a reviewer, but man I gotta disagree on Breath of Fire 3's Originality rating. The skills may have been original, but the combat system itself was highly rote, the story wasn't anything we haven't seen before... I just don't think you took everything into consideration there.

Man, after reading about Front Mission 4, I am seriously looking forward to that game. A turn-based RPG involving highly customizable Mechs? AND a combo system to boot? Where do I sign up?
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Wow, I am so burned out in this section... my time is definitely over. It's good to see that more reader reviewers have come to the site, though.

Otterland -> Thanks for the e-mail, I appreciate it. Also, I was sort of expecting such a mail from someone sooner or later... because I knew of the fault in that particular review. The review of the first game was written when I was new, and thus sucked at writing reviews in general. I have been thinking about re-writing it a few times, but never really got to it.

I wasn't offended, stop worrying about that tounge.gif. Although, on the "what happened?" part, we still disagree, I believe. I found the third part to be entirely without heart or soul... there was no feeling whatsoever in the game... or at least not the special feeling I was looking for. You know... that special suikoden feeling. It was an important factor for me.
    Anyway, thanks for the mail.

Oh, and... I probably won't be writing any more reviews. In the past few months, I have returned to my roots of extreme FPS gaming, and will probably remain there.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    Sorry to lose you, Solon. About ten more reviews would've gotten you into the Platinum leagues, but that's your call.

I do agree that the third Suikoden game was the weakest in the series so far. It could've very easily have been a Suikogaiden, since it has very strong links to those two games, which were unfortunately never translated. Hopefully the fourth game will get the series back on track...

• RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's nice to see you maturing as a reviewer, but man I gotta disagree on Breath of Fire 3's Originality rating. The skills may have been original, but the combat system itself was highly rote, the story wasn't anything we haven't seen before... I just don't think you took everything into consideration there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    First of all, that review is for the original Breath of Fire which was far more original that BoF3. ?Secondly....good point. ?Though playing as a dragon and the other things I listed were original, it's not enough to deserve a perfect score in originality nor did I give it one. ?That should have been a 4.....

EDIT: ?Eh? ?Solon's leaving? ?But you were so close to platinum and your reviews were so good... ?Well, I guess you've made up your mind. ?We'll miss you here. ?Have fun in the world of FPS ^_^

• Mr.PopoMr.Popo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Congratulations to Solon on going back to my second favorite genre of games. Second only to .... nope not RPG's, RTS's. RPG's are a close third though guys don't hate me. tounge.gif
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I wish you luck in FPS, Solon, but I too shall lament your leave from Points of View. If you shall ever find yourself needing a reliable teammate for Counter-Strike though, just give me a heads up and I shall lend you an able gun.

? -Red Raven
  • DraygoneDraygone Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I rather agree with the Golden Sun review. ?Graphics? ?Great. ?Sound? ?Fantastic. ?Gameplay? ?Would be great if I didn't have to spend hours at a time battling just to get money for the newest equipment (I'm SO glad this wasn't a problem in the sequel, though in that game I just had an abundance). ?Story? ?Started out interesting, but started becoming less interesting once you left Vale. ?I'd gladly play through it again, if only because I loved all the puzzle-solving.

Mario & Luigi, I wasn't particularily thrilled with. It seemed like, even with using almost nothing but special attacks, boss battles lasted way too long. The story never really seemed to pick up. So on and so forth. But then, I probably didn't like it that much because I was expecting it to be another Paper Mario. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, since PM was so different than SMRPG.

edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ May 03 2004,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and... I probably won't be writing any more reviews. In the past few months, I have returned to my roots of extreme FPS gaming, and will probably remain there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Have fun and nuke a few. laugh.gif

Dracos