If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Zelda, Child Link or Adult Link?

Absolutely AtheistAbsolutely Atheist New MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Role Playing Games
So for those who've seen the new screens for the upcomming Zelda game on Game Cube, you may have noticed that there's no cell shaded kid in the screens. I'm really looking forward to some open ended gameplay as adult link, and I hope the new GC game is as fun as it looks. Seriously let's keep our fingers crossed and hope they don't screw it up with a time limit or by locking you out of the rest of the game halfway through or something!

Comments

• Liquid IceLiquid Ice Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Adult link technicly isnt an "adult" anyway. adult link all the way. (they hopefully made him like 24 in this game or somthin around there so hes in his prime)
  • LightflareLightflare Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Adult Link rules! Course Kid Link ruled when he used the Fierce Deti mask in Majora's Mask, turning him into Omni Link, a badass that could kill any boss in 1 or 2 hits. But Adult Link is still cooler.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Removed because I was just being a jerk.

• Lucid DreamerLucid Dreamer Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    Jesus Christ. Get over it. Its not a big deal, its an effing videogame poll, and more specifically its not your poll, so it need not adhere to your ideas of what his poll should be like.

• Options
    edited May 2004
    I think ideally I would like to play an older Link, maybe not adult, but decidedly older than he's been in recent games. Though I don't think it was neccessary to change the look of the game as much as they did from Wind Waker to what we're seeing of the new GCN title.
  • CatCat New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I don't dislike the kid Link, but I love adult Link's look. Can't wait for the new Zelda game biggrin.gif
    edited May 2004
    Removed because I was just being a jerk.

• Options
    edited May 2004
    That's the way trolling works on the internet. I should know, we can smell our own.
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    i like them both the same equally.each for the young and old in me.as long as the zelda games continue to be quality material i really dont mind which one they use.
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I prefered it when you couldn't tell what age Link was. Back when he was a pixle blob. If I had to pick though, I'd choose young adult Link! Age around 14 to 16.
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I'm going to chose Adult (or at least) older Link.

Children shouldn't be playing with blades. tounge.gif
  • Liquid IceLiquid Ice Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 12 2004,20:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think ideally I would like to play an older Link, maybe not adult, but decidedly older than he's been in recent games. ?Though I don't think it was neccessary to change the look of the game as much as they did from Wind Waker to what we're seeing of the new GCN title.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    dont worry. they used the WW graphical style in the new gba game. wink.gif also this in my opinion has the potential to be a sequal to OoT. Think about the vid. The horse looked like epona, the gates looked like Hyrule castle and the town part of it, The woods, strongely resembled the lost woods.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Hello, friends, time for an exciting edition of Thread Update, the show that points out when bad things happen to a good thread. ?I'm your always-eager host Buck McAllistair III, hoping you're having a Merry Christmas and a Happy New oh jeez, I forgot my medication today.

Things start out much like any good-natured opinion poll: AA (neither the battery, nor the alcoholic support group) asks a simple question. ?Which version of Link do you like the most? ?It seems an easy enough question, but apparently AA must have phrased it in such a way that King Jowy XXII took offense, perhaps interpreting the poll as an insult, racial slur, or attack on the dignity of his ancestors.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This poll is flawed: where is the option for "I like them both equally?".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    An excellent play by Jowy, pointing out the inherent flaw in this opinion poll: the apparent lack of an option that effectively states "I have no opinion." ?I'll tell you where that option is -- see that little X button in the top right corner of the browser? ?That's the "no opinion" button.
    Ha ha, but seriously, if you like them both equally, you can just say so in your post -- which, technically, you have failed to do so far, I might point out. ?For someone so keen on having a multitude of options available in the fight for opinion communication, you have not yet explicitly stated your own opinion on the matter.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Not everyone on these boards is an over-generalizing elitist who needs to valdate their opinion by slamming one or the other[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Jowy's second play is the potent but risky "Fleckman's Offensive," a move invented by Troy Fleckman in 1921 who poured mud all over himself and complained about how muddy everyone else was. ?Attaining possession of the ball, Jowy makes a bee line for the goal, stating that AA's poll is a poor one because it forces posters to pick one version of Link over the other, and actively bash the other version. ?However, what Jowy doesn't realize is that he's about to score on his own team! ?AA's options are very carefully worded so that neither version of Link is being bashed. ?In fact, while there are options stating that one prefers one over the other, there are also milder options availble for those who like both, but like one a little more than the other. ?There is no "slamming" of anything implied anywhere. ?And as long as Jowy keeps that ball, there will be no "slam dunks" in the logic department either. ?Okay, enough with the sports analogy. ?As if I know anything about sports anyhow.
    I realize in these delicate times of useless terms like "political correctness" and "metrosexuality", people can get a little sensitive toward the comments of others. ?But, in asking a wide range of people which version of a videogame character they prefer, AA was not calling anyone an "over-generalizing elitist" who attacks others to make themselves feel justified. ?AA was merely curious about which version of Link most people preferred. ?There was no request made for a bloodbath where one version would be forever ejected from the videogame world. ?There was no post where AA said "Okay, you over-generalizing elitists, now let's pick one version of Link and destroy it!!!" ?If you don't mind my saying so, AA simply made an honest-to-goodness attempt to contribute to the RPGamer forums in a thoughtful and non-confrontational way, and you lashed out for no good reason.

Fittingly, Lucid spoke up:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Jesus Christ. Get over it. Its not a big deal, its an effing videogame poll, and more specifically its not your poll, so it need not adhere to your ideas of what his poll should be like.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Indeed, it was a question about people's general opinions on contrasting styles of videogame characters, not an invitation to be flamed. ?How would you feel if you made a poll, and were attacked because your only "crime" was an omission of a completely and utterly neutral option?

You respond, with:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yeah, you're probably right...although I have to wonder, if it is just a video game poll, why do you care what my reaction to it is?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The "Yeah, you're probably right" statement leads me to believe you have come to regret, in part, your attack of AA. ?However, that second part in which Lucid wonders why you care so much and you respond "why do YOU care" makes me wonder just what you're trying to accomplish. ?Lucid cares because, like me, he objects to your unwarranted attack on AA. ?Why you are still defending yourself after admittedly realizing your overreaction, I do not understand.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyone can be loud like you, Lucid...or vapid like this poll.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Very mature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That is not to say that I am better, but I fail to see how my reaction is any less valid than say, your own.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I will spell it out for you:
    1. AA makes an opinion poll.
    2. Instead of posting an opinion, you tell AA how much the poll sucks and that AA is assuming us all to be "over-generalizing elitists" who are only interested in putting other people's opinions down.
    3. Lucid steps in and bites back because, frankly, that was quite harsh and unnecessary of you.
    4. You insult the poll some more, as well as toss in some personal insults at Lucid.

Lucid's reaction was justified because he took offense to your post which was actually quite offensive.
    Your reaction to the original poll was not justified because you threw a fit over a simple question of character preference.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But hey, it's just a game poll, so why do you care again?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because unprovoked attacks and personal insults have no worth to anyone, even in game polls.

Sure, I am perhaps being hypocritical, because I have made somewhat similar posts, such as in that FF7-2 thread. ?But that was because I really thought some of those ideas were the most awful things I'd heard in a while. ?You didn't debate any idea or point AA was making, you just complained about its existence, and then failed to contribute anything worthwhile.

The end.

Now, my two cents about Link...
    Although I have no dislike of Child Link, I sort of prefer Adult Link. ?Adult Link has cooler swords, from what I can recall. ?Honestly, I never really got why there was a Child Link at all. ?Adult Link is basically Link. ?Child Link is the Nintendo equivalent of Muppet Babies -- cute, but not quite as nice as the original. ?I never played Wind Waker, but I've seen it in action. ?I like the cell-shading look. ?It's pretty. ?But, it has also become a cliche in a very short amount of time. ?Unfortunately, Wind Waker was released after that time had come, so I can't say it's very original.
    I'm looking forward to the darker Link seen in the recent GC shots. ?It's something I'd been hoping for for a while, as well as perhaps a more involved plot or story element. ?I just don't understand why Miyamoto so objects to having Link talk.

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I'm pretty sure I should be posting something about all this hoolabaloo, but after reading the posts above me, my wang tells me I should stay THE HELL away because I might just make it worse.

Ang.... yeah....
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Propers Athenian. As much as I know it sucks being on the business end of your posts, they're always so damned entertaining.
    edited May 2004
    Yes, I'll conceed, Athenian. ?Well done and well spoken. ?My apologies also to Absolutely Atheist for the initial remark, as well as to you, Athenian, for making such a reply necessary in the first place. ?Doubtless, there were better things that you could have done with your time, but I am glad that you utilized it to help me find a bit of much needed humility.

I'm not sure why I was feeling so bitter about this post, to be honest. ?Mostly, I think it was more of a spastic need to engage in some sort of ramdom, tourettes-based dialogue...sort of the online equivalent of shouting out obscenities in a crowded subway car.

In short, it was just stupid.

Whatever the reason, it was unacceptable and again, I apologize. I should have indeed saved such energy for the FF7-2 thread.

Edit "Alright, alright I apologize. I'm really, really sorry. I apologize unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact and was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."

-John Cleese

edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Doubtless, there were better things that you could have done with your time[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Bah! You sure don't know me!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm not sure why I was feeling so bitter about this post, to be honest.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Meh, it's okay. Maybe this whole mess spooked somebody out of posting something like "I h8 that D4MN CEL-DAH!!! lol. Link isnt spost 2 b cartoonie!!!!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I should have indeed saved such energy for the FF7-2 thread.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Let's not forget the Aeris Revival thread, either. That one sure is a gem.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As much as I know it sucks being on the business end of your posts, they're always so damned entertaining.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, uh... thank you. Remember kids, I'm a trained professional idiot. Don't try this stuff at home.

Well, me and Buck McAllistair III are glad this all worked out, and we can put that whole mess behind us. So, tune in next time for Thread Update -- same bat-time, same bat-channel!
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Man, thats how Link should be. No offense but I belive the whole kiddie thing took away the whole experience to me. I'm really looking foward to this new adaption of Zelda, it looks like it will be a great hit.
  • knightofhyruleknightofhyrule Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I don't really prefer one or the other, just so long as Nintendo keeps the games starring each incarnation at a balance. OoT, WW, whatever this new one is called, then probably WWII after that. I think they're developing a pattern. And I like it. biggrin.gif
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ May 15 2004,05:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"my wang tells me I should stay THE HELL away because I might just make it worse.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm surprised no one commented on this.

Now, to be on topic, I liked Child Link. He was cute in Ocarina of Time and Wind Wanker was just beautiful with the cell shaded graphics. When they announced a new Zelda, I thought it was going to be like Majora's Mask and just use the same engine. My question is: they where doing this one since the release of gamecube (as it looks like that Link from the Gamecube promotional video) or just made it because of all the negative response of Wind Waker from some fans?

EDIT: Just found a MAJOR typo, but decided to live there as I thought I was kinda a funny one. tounge.gif

PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • alldayrpgplayaalldayrpgplaya Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Adult (older) link that's who i prefer. He just looks like someone that you shouldnt cross. smile.gif
  • DuskDusk Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
  • alldayrpgplayaalldayrpgplaya Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    oh yeah, smokin is what he is. biggrin.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    I don't get why everyone keeps saying adult Link anyhoo. He looks adolescent at best. And he still wears silly tights.
  • LightflareLightflare Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Not to sound rude or anything, but on some of the screens, if you look closely it looks like he's wearing trousers instead of tight. But I could be wrong.
  • Absolutely AtheistAbsolutely Atheist New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Ah, it's always fun when some acne ridden brat raves and rants about a silly videogame post.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Absolutely Atheist @ May 27 2004,07:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ah, it's always fun when some acne ridden brat raves and rants about a silly videogame post.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What? An Indirect flame?

It could hit anyone of us! FLEE EVERYONE! FLEE FROM THE HORROR AND THE PAIN!
    edited May 2004
    lol, there was no misdirection...as incorrect in context as the flame may have been, Meo.
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ah, it's always fun when some acne ridden brat raves and rants about a silly videogame post.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Who, may I ask, is this sass targeted at?
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Little Link is cute, but I like Big Link better because he is HOT. Yum yum.