If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Chrono Trigger

13»

Comments

• AkumadaAkumada Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Just for the record i kinda take back what I said before, I really do think Chrono Trigger is an extraordinary Rpg. Just that it's not that complex but it doesn't have to be, it's really great for what it is. And as far as music and art (Toriyama rules) it's tops.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"valid reasons as to why this is a bad game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Are you blind, or do you just lack conventional reading skills? It has been reiterated numerous times throughout this thread that overrated does not equate to bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What game before this (and after) has really introduced this concept to a game?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That statement completely assumes that distaste for time travel storylines must come only from other video games. It also assumes that incorporating time travel into a game is necessarily a good thing. Neither of these situations are true.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"makings of almost anything you would see on the market today
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Most every thing on the market today is fairly unremarkable aside from the increasing flashiness of graphics. Even most of the good games are still just sequels or spin-offs. That's not much of a bragging right.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"-Loveable, memoriable [sic] characters

Opinion, opinion, opinion. Don't act like that's a legitimate arguing point. The only reason I really remember most of the characters of that story is because I happen to have a very good memory. I never felt particularly attached to any of them, though I did like Magus, which, as I stated in an earlier post, would be because he is one of the few characters in that game to exhibit any appreciable amount of development.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(oh its popular so i have to say i hate it and its overrated to be different! Please look at me i need attention!)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just because you're indignant does not make you righteous. Please grow up and learn to argue properly rather than blindly attacking points in a thread you have clearly not read thoroughly. This is not about attention, it is about interpretation of a situation, and it is meant to induce legitimate and thought-out conversation. You, apparently, would rather opt to be sophomorically condescending in lieu of actual debate.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Pardon me, this is slightly out of the blue, but it's been stirring in me since I've first seen this topic, and I've not really seen this addressed in my brief reread of the whole thing.

When I see the whole 'over-rated' business applied to a game(and particularly an old game), I really wonder what's the importance of this? First, how can we really get anywhere with this claim? Certainly, when you are speaking of an individual, you can claim, 'yes, he over-rates this game' and be speaking a sensical statement, but what's the point in general. A shaking of the fist against the anonymous 'universal opinion' which always seems to drag right towards the insane mindless fanboy opinion when speaking of over-rated and the completely apathetic naysayers when speaking of under-rated? (whether or not either of these two groups really exists is never actually of importance nor is their possible size or real representation of opinion) What's the point there though? If you are doing that, and let's assume we can successfully qualtatively and quantitatively determine this trait of over-rated...what does it matter? Does it cause any enlightenment or change in opinion or similar merit? Does knowing Chrono Trigger (A decade plus old game) is over-rated by the general population matter in any way? What if it can be disproved? That the general population does not over-rate it? Can it possibly be done, even as a theoretical exercise? I'm not quite sure of that. Either way, it seems quite silly to me, especially when referencing old nolstalgic influenced games.

What if it's an individual claim though? We're going on a single person's 'rating' of Chrono Trigger, which seems a heck of a lot more doable to me, but still not that important. Assume you prove the claim right, congrats, a person's opinion on the game is unmerited, I guess that could be worthwhile at least if the guy is a reviewer or something. Prove the claim wrong, well...yeah, that's not very important at all as it just means you have one person who sees the game pretty level-mindedly.

I mean, I could understand this if we were going 'this game is overhyped' or 'this game was well put together' something that could provide some gain from the discussion and understanding of either the game or the society around the game, but when you are talking over-rated and old over-rated, what's the point? All it does is get a lot of misunderstandings of each other out on the floor, a whole flood of rather ignorant posts (as this thread has seen it's share of), and maybe a handful of people that either say "yeah, I think it's over-rated by unknown obvious to all standard for good reasoning x,y,z." or say "no, it's not over-rated by some unknown obvious to all different standard for good reasoning x,y,z."

Both having the same problem of not having a defined 'yeah, what are we rating this game as to begin with?'

Basically, I'm impling I don't think we have this universal agreement on what the game is. If I asked Athenian to describe Chrono Trigger, I'd get a 'rating'/'opinion' on it. Would it be the general one? Does it make a difference if it's the general one? If I asked someone else, i'd get a different one. Some would be low, some would be high, some I'd trust, some I would not, a few may be accurate to the game, but none would get me any closer to some universal 'rating' for the game so I could consider it over-rated or under-rated.

My personal opinion is that the game was fairly well put together, with a decent sound track, good art for the day, and a fairly enjoyable game with a clever repeat game mechanic. Is the game over-rated by this 'rating'? I think you'd have difficulty going about that. And since most serious analysis of the game posted here are something along that line, where do we reach something we can really get at meaty thinking from?

Dracos
    A rambler at heart laugh.gif
  • DraicDraic New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Actually, Dracos is right. How do you argue about a game being overrated or not? If it's just whether you think the game is worse than people generally say it is... that sounds to me like a discussion on how good or bad the game ACTUALLY is. I'm not seeing much of a practical distinction between good/bad and underrated/overrated.
    Help?
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Well, I think this topic is sort of a mish-mash of feelings/opinions and reason/objectivity. ?I can't speak for anyone else, but from my point of view it just seems that there a lot more people than there should be (in this thread and others) who praise Chrono Trigger as either their favorite RPG, or the greatest game of all time.
    Now, of course it is their right to believe and say Chrono Trigger is the greatest gaming accomplishment of all time -- better than anything any game-maker has ever dreamed of, in the entire history of videogames, right up until today -- but it is also my right to believe such a notion may be brought on by mind-altering drugs.
    Now, a fine game Chrono Trigger may have been, for it's time. ?I could also believe that it has a leg up on many games made today, even with their fancy technology and competant dialogue. ?But the BEST game ever? ?I would say that opinions like these over-rate the game. ?I find that there are many games better than Chrono Trigger -- games I would much rather play on any given day. ?So, it's my subjective opinion that someone who says Chrono Trigger is the best game in the universe is over-rating the game.
    How many people actually think this way? ?Well, I really don't know. ?It seems like quite a few to me, though. ?Maybe most people don't consider CT to be THE BEST game ever, but last time I checked that GameFAQs poll, CT was dangerously close to the title. ?Also, on these boards, the issue of Chrono Trigger having some special place in the videogame Hall of Fame seems to possess at least one thread at any given time. ?Like, if CT wasn't thought to be so fantastic by most people, then why does this thread exist, and why has it lasted this long? ?I don't see any "Is Zelda over-rated?" threads popping up.
    It wouldn't be so bad if Chrono Trigger had a phenomenal cast of characters, or well-written dialogue, or maybe even a deeper ability-learning system (okay, I'm getting into opinion a bit here). ?But, one of Chrono Trigger's main defenses in this thread so far has been that it is greater than the sum of its parts, and that there is some certain, mysterious something that the gamer "feels" for the game. ?And that's supposedly why CT is the greatest game ever? ?I don't buy it.
    Who knows, maybe there's no general consensus on exactly how great Chrono Trigger. ?But to me, I just don't see how it ranks so prominently on so many people's lists of their favorite games. But then again, maybe there's some person out there wondering why so many people like Metal Gear Solid, meanwhile I am constantly sneaking around the house trying to sneak up on my dog to get her dog tags.

• AkumadaAkumada Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    In the end it just comes down to opinion (stating the obvious). I think Chrono's a real good game, but not the best title or having the best characters. It just has more than enough all around strength in different areas to make it a classic. I've never known why Wild Arms 1 ranks seems so underrated here because it has much in common with all the good points in Chrono Trigger and yet it improves on the bad points. Fantastic plot, extremely long story with tons of towns and locations, huge spell system, main characters who develop and change throughout the game. But around here it's like "Oh that's a less than mediocre game". Whereas I thought it was a brilliant game, but again just opinion.
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    lets not forget the human element.since we are all human wheather you like a game and how much depends mostly on emotions.you either "feel" a game or you dont.everyone has a different interpretation of these feelings.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Athenian @ May 14 2004,23:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, I think this topic is sort of a mish-mash of feelings/opinions and reason/objectivity. I can't speak for anyone else, but from my point of view it just seems that there a lot more people than there should be (in this thread and others) who praise Chrono Trigger as either their favorite RPG, or the greatest game of all time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd like to think that the number of intelligent gamers who use the line 'greatest game of all time' in any serious sense with an actual game in mind is pretty close to zero. A serious gamer obviously can see that it's a pretty silly statement to make. Tomorrow better game could come out. And besides that, greatest game is pretty darn vague. And if it's their favorite, does that really matter? Can there be too many people who count a game as their personal favorite? That sounds a bit silly as well to me given it's not making any claim on the quality of the game except for a 'I prefer it'. It's not even saying it's good in any evidence based analysis.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Now, of course it is their right to believe and say Chrono Trigger is the greatest gaming accomplishment of all time -- better than anything any game-maker has ever dreamed of, in the entire history of videogames, right up until today -- but it is also my right to believe such a notion may be brought on by mind-altering drugs.

Absolutely, but I'd cast doubt on the relevence of holding over-rated discussions with vague unsubstantial qualifications regardless of what opinions either group holds. I mean if it's just:
    Post A:
    CHRONO TRIGGER BESTEST GAME EVAR!
    Post B:
    Um, no, it isn't.

I'd have no problem. It's when you take these series of posts and try to get to 'it's over-rated' that I raise an eyebrow.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Now, a fine game Chrono Trigger may have been, for it's time. I could also believe that it has a leg up on many games made today, even with their fancy technology and competant dialogue. But the BEST game ever? I would say that opinions like these over-rate the game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

But, to be fair, you find those on every possible game. At one point I held the belief Xenogears was the BEST GAME EVAR. It was a silly belief, it's my favorite but that doesn't give it some quality of 'best'ness. Nor does it make it 'over-rated' in general terms. You can't go by the fan-boy contingent for a game to make a fair ruling of 'this game is generally over-rated'. The fanboy contingent over-rates EVER game. Every last one that ever existed, you'll find it has fanboys that say it's the BEST GAME EVAR. But these opinions are sort of irrelevent and basing a discussion on it being over-rated by it's mindless fanboy contingent is just as completely non-sensical as basing an underated discussion on one of those christian game review board that indicates all games are hideously evil and bad and will make you go to hell.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I find that there are many games better than Chrono Trigger -- games I would much rather play on any given day. So, it's my subjective opinion that someone who says Chrono Trigger is the best game in the universe is over-rating the game.

Well, I don't think you can find a man here that can intelligently dispute that statement. But that's more a flaw in the phrasing of the statement then an indication towards the game itself as I pointed out above.

How many people actually think this way? Well, I really don't know. It seems like quite a few to me, though. Maybe most people don't consider CT to be THE BEST game ever, but last time I checked that GameFAQs poll, CT was dangerously close to the title.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh geez, gamefaqs is certainly the best source of polling data on the opinions of gamers, what with it's 24 hour long polls on 'this game versus that game'? Certainly I know I take a moment out of every day in my life to go vote on those polls, with it being so easy to remember the importance of their statistical data.

Come on, that's really silly. There's so many problems with even bothering to note that I don't know where to begin. let's see, First that'd only qualify a statement: "Those at gamefaqs who vote in the polls over-rate Chrono Trigger." which would be a sensical and qualified statement that'd mean something. This doesn't get you to a 'Chrono Trigger is over-rated(implied: always or in general)'. Next off there's the nature of that damned poll in the first place. Come on, it's got Doom on the same area as Chrono Trigger, sounds like a very intelligent poll to me! And then, what I find most striking, is the numbers you are pointing to. Looking at it now, there's about 40000 votes in, but let's not lowball it. I've seen it go up to a 120000, so let's use 200000 as the number. Assume they are all uniques and they all voted for chrono trigger (neither of which are likely true at all). So you got 200000 people who rate Chrono Trigger higher than any of the other 63 games that were being chosen (or at least the 8-16 that it goes against). So....what? If you just follow the easily tracked game sales on chrono trigger, that's a drop in the bucket, there were millions sold. And that doesn't even count those who played it at a friends house, borrowed it, rented it, bought it later from someone else, or any number of potentially huge untrackables that expand the viable number of those who even know about the game. Boy, that gamefaqs poll sure sounds like a great general opinion indicator.

Also, on these boards, the issue of Chrono Trigger having some special place in the videogame Hall of Fame seems to possess at least one thread at any given time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I think it suffers from having more people say it sucks than the average game. Or rather, more polarized fans rather than more fans towards the middle. This naturally results in more threads of the 'what's up with you idiots, this game sucked' and 'wow, that was the best game ever' neither of which really giving the honest picture of how many fans there are or the general opinion.

Like, if CT wasn't thought to be so fantastic by most people, then why does this thread exist, and why has it lasted this long? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because of nuts like myself and yourself who have not bothered answering the other threads on this but instead write vast responses on this one, extending it's length. You'd be hard to say that many posts on this page have anything to do with saying CT is thought to be fantastic by most people. Many posts on the previous pages were covering the issue of nolstalgia in general. The size of the thread is far from a proper indicator of how well CT is thought of.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I don't see any "Is Zelda over-rated?" threads popping up.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd say yet, but really if you go look at the e3 topics right now, the last zelda one I looked at sure seemed to be juggling similar idiocy around in it. Just because it doesn't happen to be named 'over-rated' doesn't make it's content much different. Also, Zelda is a bit further away from the 'rpg' core concept most expect. Therefore there is a lot fewer people who would attend this board, not like zelda, and think it's relevent to bring it up and start a topic questioning it.

It wouldn't be so bad if Chrono Trigger had a phenomenal cast of characters, or well-written dialogue, or maybe even a deeper ability-learning system (okay, I'm getting into opinion a bit here). But, one of Chrono Trigger's main defenses in this thread so far has been that it is greater than the sum of its parts, and that there is some certain, mysterious something that the gamer "feels" for the game. And that's supposedly why CT is the greatest game ever? I don't buy it.

Maybe I misread and should go back, but I don't recall a single person making that defense and going to the 'greatest game ever'. I remember some using it as 'why it is their favorite', but that's a very different claim.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Who knows, maybe there's no general consensus on exactly how great Chrono Trigger. But to me, I just don't see how it ranks so prominently on so many people's lists of their favorite games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh reaaally? That's easy to explain, it's was a highly publicized game made by what was then, and likely is now, the most well known and well publicized role playing game company in the world and it was 'pretty good'. You do realize, most people don't play that many RPGs. Even folks on boards like this and such, I doubt we have more than 50 that count the rpgs played entirely through to be above 100, much less several hundred. Most just get the latest 'big hit'. They get the latest square game, in other words. They don't go cross-platform or do PC, they just take in the most hyped game of the moment. And you know, It's not hard to find a set of 20-25 games that most people would look at and pick Chrono trigger as their favorite.

Yeah, this doesn't apply to all by any means, but I bet you'll find it fits remarkably well for the general case explanation especially when you toss in first game nolstagia for a fair chunk of 'em.

By the way, this exact same logic path explains both FF7 and FF8 for 'top ten games ever' just as easily. They also rank prominantly on many people's favorite games list, even when very similar complaints as you issued on CT can be brought against them. Some don't know better, some don't want to know better, some are just nolstalgic, and many other reasons.

Dracos
    who gladly provides the wonderer who wonders what's up with all this MGS stuff? ^_~
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The fanboy contingent over-rates EVER[sic]game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, there we have it. The game is, by sheer fact, overrated. This whole discussion is really just a veiled argument against fanboys/girls.
    edited May 2004
    The fanboy contingent over-rates EVER[sic]game.
    Well, there we have it. The game is, by sheer fact, overrated. This whole discussion is really just a veiled argument against fanboys/girls.
    No, the game is NOT by sheer fact over-rated.
    The 'fact' you're talking about is the statement that the game is over-rated by fanboys/girls. Many people would under-rate the game as a reaction to the fanboys/girls.
    PhospheneHeretic, YOU are having a veiled argument against fanboys/girls. I know I'm not.

The title of this thread is Chrono Trigger - Most Overrated Game, and if you translate this to mean 'Chrono Trigger has the biggest fanboy/girl base' (as we seem to be), that would be easier to prove. Or even 'Chrono Trigger has too big a fanboy/girl base'. I'd agree with that entirely.

But too many people here are arguing that the game's 'intrinsic value' or whatever is less than what people make it out to be. Effectively, 'the game is worse than you think it is.' But we're arguing about opinion here. If this was a factual argument, we'd have to get an accurate rating of the game, unclouded by ANY opinions, and compare that to the way people feel, on average, about the game.

This is far from a factual argument - unless we clear up what we mean by 'over-rated', it's going to stay a matter of opinion vs opinion.
    edited May 2004
    Way to pick up on me being snide. ?Oh well, it's not as though I didn't expect someone to stroll along and throw out an indignant retort.

Edit:

All right, since I'm in the mood to be an ass.
    'Chrono Trigger is the greatest game ever'. Clear matter of opinion, right? Let's examine more closely. From a technical standpoint, there are games with far more advanced graphics capabilities, freer engines and interactions, more detailed and eloquent dialogue, more cohesive plotlines, et cetera. Now, let's have a little lesson on language. 'Great'. Of Germanic origin, the word means superior in quality. The superlative form of the word, 'greatest', indicates that, comparitively, that there is nothing more superior. 'Game', in this case, is the direct object of the superlative adjective (that's a word that describes a noun) 'greatest'. Definitionally, this means that Chrono Trigger as a whole must be a game that surpasses all others in superiority. Now, were this true, it would be requisite that all functions of the game must maintain their status as top of the line. This cannot possibly be true, therefore the game cannot be considered the 'greatest game' ever in any instance other than in a hyperbolic world where ideas and opinions are expressed simply and reactionally (e.g. "OMG! THAT SUX!!!111one", "r0XX0r!").

Now, if you have any whit of a dry sense of humor, you'll move on from this post and go about something far more entertaining and quite possibly more productive. I can't really say for certain on the latter part, it's just an idle hope.

edited May 2004
    I agree with you completely - if anyone claims Chrono Trigger is 'the greatest game', let alone 'the greatest game ever', then they are automatically over-rating the game. 'The greatest game I've played' is a more reasonable statement.

As a few last comments:
    Possibly the idea that the game is grossly over-rated stems from the comparison of the game to an 'ideal'. ("Chrono Trigger could have been handled better"). That, and the repulsed reaction to fanboys.
    The only problem with this line of thinking is that every game will automatically be unsatisfactory, compared to the 'ideal'. But there is no 'ideal' game and never will be. So you have to be prepared to accept that there are some good aspects (though not ideal) points in every game - as well as the fact that any game could be much worse than it is.

In the opposite way, I think the 'fanboy' reaction to a game is caused by a lack of comparison to other games, let alone an 'ideal'. They don't attempt to be critical, which is almost the same as ignoring the problems.
    Summary: FANBOY=IGNORANCE

Musing: If anyone saw Chrono Trigger as the ideal - the greatest - why would they ever play another game?

Lastly, my own critical thoughts:
    Perhaps Chrono Trigger - like so many other games - dealt too much with concepts, and not enough detailed thought. The counter-argument is that concepts are what spark the imagination.
  • RaggieRaggie Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    This discussion is starting to remind me of the movie "Dead Poets Society". Anyone remember the part where the professor tried to rate poems on a grid, like the beauty of the poem was something mechanical and mathematic?

Games are experiences. They can?t be rated like cars or DVD players. They are closer to books and movies. People have personal relationships with them. Some people find it easy to relate to a certain character because they have had similar experiences in life, or have similar characteristics. Some storylines strike a chord in some people and some not, because all people are different. It doesn?t mean some have an inferior taste to others. How can anyone say that a "fanboy?s" opinion shouldn?t matter because he isn?t being objective? How can anyone be objective when you are rating experiences? You know, some old black and white movies are still considered some of the best films ever, and sometimes the reason can be general "ambience" or atmosphere of the film. Nobody is talking about the quality of the film, or claiming the film critics like them just because they first saw them when they were young and impressionable.

This isn?t about features. It?s not about the quality of the graphics, or how many stories have used the same plot devices before. It?s about personal experiences and tastes. This whole thread is silly.
  • DarkstarDarkstar Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    There is only one bottom line to Chrono trigger.... AWESOME,

Great theme music all the way through, awesome graphics for its time! Unforgettable characters, and the story is well WELL Over the top in total greatness.

SO I GREATLY GIVE THIS GAME a 10 out of 10
  • -=S=--=S=- Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I've played through Chrono Trigger three times, I think. Not once did it occur to me that Crono would be anything other than a mute guy.
    The storyline as I've come to see it is "guy bumps into princess, then kills the bad guy". This is a bad thing.
    Music? I think I remember two, maybe three tunes from the soundtrack... Listening to it again, I certainly don't see how you could say this is at all special. FFVI and SD3 both kick its ass quite a lot.
    I wasn't at all shocked when Magus revealed his big huge secret about Lavos, I didn't even think he would be that good a main villain.
    Chrono Trigger was one of the first RPG's I played, and I have never considered it a good game, because it isn't. Mediocre, with some above average points to it? Sure. But it certainly isn't among the best SNES RPG's.

And Raggie, I'm afraid your points aren't very good. I'll do the assy thing...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyone remember the part where the professor tried to rate poems on a grid, like the beauty of the poem was something mechanical and mathematic?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What is it then, magical? Something only your soul can define, perhaps? Or maybe beauty has something to do with logic...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Games are experiences. They can?t be rated like cars or DVD players. They are closer to books and movies.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, why are games, books and movies more magical than cars and DVD players? Saying that is offensive to me, since I've had certain experiences that makes me love DVD players above everything else...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How can anyone say that a "fanboy?s" opinion shouldn?t matter because he isn?t being objective?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well... The thread is about whether or not this game is overrated. That makes fanboys' opinions quite irrelevant.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This isn?t about features. It?s not about the quality of the graphics, or how many stories have used the same plot devices before. It?s about personal experiences and tastes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Odd. I thought people preferred certain kinds of movies/games/what ever for some sort of, y'know, reasons.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    You know what, I'm not going to really state that Chrono Trigger is overrated, but personally, I never really got into it.

I actually picked up the game when Final Fantasy Chronicles came out packaged with FF4, and I'll tell you what, I've played FF4 more than I have with Chrono Trigger. Maybe I didn't get that far into the game; the last part where I stopped was where you meet the robot that joins your party, travelling into the future.

Maybe I'm missing a whole lot more of this game, but personally, Chrono Trigger did not get me that interested into the game, like Final Fantasy 7 did.