If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Presents E3 2004

DeshDesh MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Latest Updates
Ladies and germs, it's time again for that magical event we know as the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Our seasoned experts have flown into LA, and already news is arriving.

The entire event can be monitored here.

Comments

• TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    So, uh, who do I have to sleep with around here to get a press pass? biggrin.gif
  • rubedorubedo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    That would be cool, I would love to get into E3.

Oh well, as long as RPGamer gives us good coverage, it is almost like we're there, right?

Oh well, keep up the good covereage and I'll be happy!
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Could somebody ask one of them to go to the Square Enix booth and ask them why we never hear anything from them about Enix games since the merger? ;-)

Seriously, I don't know if I can hold my breath for the like 2+ years it will take Dragon Warrior VIII to come stateside, and the possibly infinite number of years it will take DW5 to come! I was really sad when I was reading E3 previews and still heard no mention of these two really big and important gameS.
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Ah E3... such a magical time of the year. And the show hasn't even started yet. wow.gif Just wait, I bet there'll be a few more surprises.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    After the unexpected Zelda E3 surprises (and the fact they even bothered translating Drag-On Dragoon/Drakenguard), it's possible Dragon Warrior 5 and 8 will see its way stateside.
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    I was hoping for Dark Cloud 3, but it isn't showing up anywhere so far, unless it's being planned as a Big Surprise or something.
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Elranzer @ May 12 2004,01:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"After the unexpected Zelda E3 surprises (and the fact they even bothered translating Drag-On Dragoon/Drakenguard), it's possible Dragon Warrior 5 and 8 will see its way stateside.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, I fail entirely to see the logic in bringing over a game based on an anime not even broadcast in America while screwing over a game that sold well over a million copies in Japan.
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I'm pretty sure all the Dragon Warriors, especially the original NES Dragon Warrior 1, sold pretty well in America too. I know a lot of people who actually prefer it to the FF series even in America, especially the ones "old" enough to have played the NES. I think that Enix somehow is purposely trying to keep the Dragon Quest series Japan exclusive for personal reasons. They could not help but release the DW Monsters games here cuz the Pokemon monster bug bit America hard in the ass. They'll give us the crap spin-off's like Tomimeki's Quest or the soon-to-be Slime's Adventure, but if they keep the main DW series titles to themselves then I see a few peple boycotting their other flagship series, Final Fantasy. Honestly Dragon Warrior 8 looks a lot more impressive than Final Fantasy 12, despite the development from Quest.

The games would even have the Square Enix logo feces all over the packaging, that alone would sell the games in America. I do not see why they would not sell us DW8 as WELL as DW5. We never even got the original DW5 so they do not have to worry about us not wanting to buy a remake, to us it's a NEW game.

This year's E3 impressions so far:

Nintendo - Most impressive
    Sony - Meh
    Square Enix - Double Meh
    Microsoft - Come on Microsoft, wtf!! Don't make my Xbox obselete! Did they forget this was E3??

• brandinobrandino Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    This years e3 is soooo coolz and i can't wait for the ds
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    I definitely hope the PSP gets some good RPGs. I've seen some stuff elsewhere about Tales of Eternia being ported to the system, and a demo being at E3.

I've also heard that Nippon Ichi's making a game for the PSP.

• lotoloto New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Elranzer @ May 14 2004,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They'll give us the crap spin-off's like Tomimeki's Ques or the soon-to-be Slime's Adventure, but if they keep the main DW series titles to themselves then I see a few peple boycotting their other flagship series, Final Fantasy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I can't believe you would call Tornako crap.I agree it had a horrible save system, but it still was one of the most challanging games I've ever played and as far as boycotting Final Fantasy.I did that when Final Fantasy 10 came out.
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    I was always wondering... how does RPGamer get their dail news? Do they search on other sites and stuff or does a company or something supply them with information?

And who are those "experts" you mentioned who are going to E3?
  • rubedorubedo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    What? wow.gif

I haven't seen any Xenosaga II coverage. ?It was at the epxo, right?

I would love any tid-bit of information if there is any.
  • razafystrazafyst Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Bahamut - We get our news from any source possible. Other sites, magazines, word of mouth, companies themselves. It's the nature of the industry.

I consider myself an expert on lot's of things, and I went to e3. I applied for the media position, and have been updating you guys with screens, movies, etc. for the past 8 months here at the site. We all volunteer though, and paid our ways to e3 this year. If you enjoy our work, or feel you could do a better job than us, Andrew Long is the guy to talk to about getting on our team. castomel@rpgamer.com

rubedo - We had a quick interview with Namco, but they had no playable demos of Xenosaga II. I believe we have some media for it on the way, but no impressions as we had nothing hands-on. However, they did have Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos. I know it's not the info you're requesting, but there's a bunch of impressions on Baten Kaitos that we've written and the game looks extremely promising. With a North American release sometime near the end of summer.
  • rudyxxrudyxx Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I own a demo for episode 2 and I'll put up media on it tonight. So look for it then!
    momo_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (razafyst @ May 16 2004,20:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Bahamut - We get our news from any source possible. Other sites, magazines, word of mouth, companies themselves. It's the nature of the industry.

I consider myself an expert on lot's of things, and I went to e3. I applied for the media position, and have been updating you guys with screens, movies, etc. for the past 8 months here at the site. We all volunteer though, and paid our ways to e3 this year. If you enjoy our work, or feel you could do a better job than us, Andrew Long is the guy to talk to about getting on our team. castomel@rpgamer.com

rubedo - We had a quick interview with Namco, but they had no playable demos of Xenosaga II. I believe we have some media for it on the way, but no impressions as we had nothing hands-on. However, they did have Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos. I know it's not the info you're requesting, but there's a bunch of impressions on Baten Kaitos that we've written and the game looks extremely promising. With a North American release sometime near the end of summer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How in the world did you get an interview with Namco? Do you actually get invited by companies or something?
  • razafystrazafyst Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Well, again that's a split answer. For the most part, our Personal Relations department sets up our interviews. We keep contact with all RPG developers and publishers.

Sometimes, however in the case of raza meets the Warner Bros. executive, they do come to us. If we have accidentaly overlooked them, and they see us on the show floor or send us emails asking us to check out there game, we're open to that as well.

• Noble GruntyNoble Grunty Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Elranzer @ May 14 2004,10:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"They'll give us the crap spin-off's like Tomimeki's Quest or the soon-to-be Slime's Adventure, but if they keep the main DW series titles to themselves then I see a few peple boycotting their other flagship series, Final Fantasy. Honestly Dragon Warrior 8 looks a lot more impressive than Final Fantasy 12, despite the development from Quest.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ! They're releasing Slime Morimori Dragon Quest domestically? Is that what you're saying?
  • Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bahamut Zero (NSE) @ May 17 2004,17:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How in the world did you get an interview with Namco? ?Do you actually get invited by companies or something?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    One of the advantages of being around for as long as we have are contacts with the companies. ?Part of what our E3 contingent does is run around to various meetings with the companies, and the staff tries to get a 2-month head start on calling anyone that is willing to set up a time with us on the show floor.

Some of the reps for the companies we've been working with for years, and part of the fun of going to E3 is actually keeping up those relationships on a face-to-face basis. ?For a convention that consists of a lot of analysts looking for the big-selling products (and with good reason, considering how much the video-game industry is worth right now), the gaming magazines/sites are treated with a certain amount of respect. ?After all, we're here because we love the games...and most certainly not for the money. ?Right now, for the RPGamer staff, as was noted elsewhere...they pay their own way.

Whatever we don't cover in advance, other staffers are able to get coverage simply by being on the show floor. ?Some of the best interviews we've had in recent years are with random encounters like that.