The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Atlus to Re-release Disgaea

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Latest Updates
Missed out on Disgaea the first time around? Well Atlus has announced plans to re-release this unique strategy RPG.

Read here.

Comments

• mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    this is no surprise.many atlus/workingdesigns games are underproduced and disgaea has popularity beyond its current production so it would make sense for atlus to re-release it.thats why i always get these more non-mainstream rpg's right away when they are released.if mastiff is the same as atlus when it comes to underproduction maybe la pucelle will also get a re-release down the road.
  • FraxFrax Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Dicks.

I just bought a used copy a week and a half ago. mad.gif
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Also, if you send in your Disgaea registation after May 25th then you will get an art book that has previously unreleased, in North America, artwork from the original artists for the game.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dekarguydekarguy New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Atlus grew a brain wow.gif , I am suprised. biggrin.gif
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mogforever @ May 21 2004,06:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"this is no surprise.many atlus/workingdesigns games are underproduced and disgaea has popularity beyond its current production so it would make sense for atlus to re-release it.thats why i always get these more non-mainstream rpg's right away when they are released.if mastiff is the same as atlus when it comes to underproduction maybe la pucelle will also get a re-release down the road.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I haven't heard anything about a limited production run from Mastiff, and considering the popularity of the game just locally in our EB's district, I'd be *very* surprised if Mastiff didn't milk it for all it is worth.

I wondered if/when Atlus was ever going to do a dual run on any of their games; the concept always made a lot of sense to me - have a ton of people drooling for the game, shooting the price wayyy up on Ebay, then throw out more copies to the retailer. If it's a good game (which Atlus generally localizes), then it'll be snatched up. Hype in this case == good for RPGamers.
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I am actually looking for a bunch of Atlus games, some including Persona 1 and 2. i heard they were really cool and i thought i'd try them out. There's a lot of other games i want to get from Atlus too, including Disgaea, but it's hard to find them. Even on E-bay, there are only like 3 to 5 Persona games on there but they are horribly overpriced. I haven't searched Disgaea yet but i will soon.

I've heard a lot of great things for La Pucelle so that makes me want Disgaea even more.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, if you send in your Disgaea registation after May 25th then you will get an art book that has previously unreleased, in North America, artwork from the original artists for the game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Do you mean before May 25th, because i would expect them to want people to do it before the re-release comes out instead of during? i don't know.

If this is true though, mabye i will buy Disgaea off of E-bay instead of waiting for the re-release so i can get the art book. Plus, if the artwork ends up pretty bad or something i don't like, i can always sell it on E-bay to people who will actually enjoy it.

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edited May 2004
    Don't you think you might have it confused? Since the Disgaea is officially going to be released the 25th in Europe for the first time. Perhaps you read it wrong and it will not be re-released? I have no idea myself, but it seems more logical.
  • folkeyefolkeye Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Oh well...Murphy's Luck. I just bought a copy on E-Bay for a pretty penny since every online store I looked at was sold out or backordered...
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited May 2004
    As a collector, I'd like to say to Atlus, screw you.

*walks down the street to Atlus' Foothill Ranch HQ*

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lumine @ May 21 2004,10:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Don't you think you might have it confused? Since the Disgaea is officially going to be released the 25th in Europe for the first time. Perhaps you read it wrong and it will not be re-released? I have no idea myself, but it seems more logical.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    While it may be true that the re-release shares the same date as the European release (haven't heard about that, I usually don't keep track of European release dates), I am quite sure that it is a full fledged re-release. Read the press release for yourself smile.gif
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    *sits around on ass waiting for Persona 2: Tsumi*
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    WTF... I was just over at microcenter the other day and they had like 10 brand new copies of disgaea just sitting on the shelf. Eh... I bought it on release day anyhow, so I don't care.
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, if you send in your Disgaea registation after May 25th then you will get an art book that has previously unreleased, in North America, artwork from the original artists for the game[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

there is enough artwork in the official strategy guide for me biggrin.gif .
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif

This sucks for collectors.

• aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize giving more people a chance to enjoy a [theoretically] great game is a bad thing. Shame on Atlus.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Shift @ May 21 2004,23:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif

This sucks for collectors.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Tell that to those with first releases of Xenogears. In fact, if I recall, the re-release had some changes from the original. Some censorships. It's still a collectors item.

Suikoden 2, I believe, has hit the presses a couple times and still remains a hot item.

Just because someone re-releases something does not mean collectors automatically miss out and if you do, so WHAT? I thought the point of games was for everyone to enjoy them, not for you to collect and put in little glass cases for display.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In fact, if I recall, the re-release had some changes from the original. Some censorships. It's still a collectors item.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you're referring to the non-GH version, there is no difference. In fact, I heard it wasn't even a re-release, just that they had some extra copies in a warehouse somewhere. They don't re-release games at full (or MORE) price years later.

Of course, if you're talking about the GH version, of course that sucks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Suikoden 2, I believe, has hit the presses a couple times and still remains a hot item.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not recently, obviously.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....45&rd=1

I saw one once for over $300.

• LeetdudeLeetdude Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I hope the price is somewhere below $50... can't afford that.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Red Shift:

Just because some complete morons were willing to pay 300 dollars for a single game, does not mean that was ever an average selling rate for what it went for on Ebay. A hundred-hundred fifty might be generous for the average rate those things have ever gone for.

Dracos
    Who stares at all these 'collectors' who can bare to part with their prized gaming collections.
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just because someone re-releases something does not mean collectors automatically miss out and if you do, so WHAT? I thought the point of games was for everyone to enjoy them, not for you to collect and put in little glass cases for display.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

yes everyone should get to enjoy a great game but you cant ignore the potential of the secondary market.its simple demand over supply.if a game is "rare" and very popular it can be sold for over the original price for profit.i've done this many times as an ebay seller.you cant blame people for the money they are going to miss because of a re-release.i just barely got my extra copy of final fantasy tactics sold before the re-release,and i was sweating a little...but yes,there are too many people who buy a game and think they have something that not many people have and just love that feeling.more of a "haha i got it you dont" kind of thing.i dont agree with this kind of thinking either.
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Companies are really only doing themselves a disservice if they don't re-release a game that wasn't released initially in sufficient quantities. They don't make any money off the secondary market, only off of new sales. It's in their interest to have you buying from them... not paying really high prices on ebay.

Anyhow, I'm a pack-rat. Once I have a game, I never let it go (unless it really sucks, and even then sometimes I regret it if I sell it). You could call me a collector, but I don't really care if it appreciates in value. I'm happy just to have a copy.