If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Phantasy Star Trilogy Tidbits

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited April 2006 in Latest Updates
Square Enix isn't the only company with classic RPGs just bustling to be exposed to a new generation of gamers, you know. American gamers will soon see the Playstation 2 remakes of 3 classic Phantasy Star titles.

Check it out yall, check it check it out.

Comments

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2004
    WOOOAH!

I've wanted to play these for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to get this collection when it comes out!!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I will mosdef pick this up in 2005.
  • nectarsisnectarsis Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I just want to know why no Phantasy Star 3....I've also noticed that PS3 is disliked by quite a few gamers.....WHY?confused.gif??..I've played them all...liked them all..and when are we going to get the originals as a compilation (sometimes I like the "crappy" grapics...etc...lol)
  • Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    By the looks of 3-D Age's official website, the remakes for Phantasy Stars II & IV haven't even been started on yet, so I somewhat have my doubts of the trilogy coming out in Q1 2005. But I'll definitely pick it up if and when it does come out.
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nectarsis @ May 28 2004,19:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I just want to know why no Phantasy Star 3....I've also noticed that PS3 is disliked by quite a few gamers.....WHY?confused.gif??..I've played them all...liked them all..and when are we going to get the originals as a compilation (sometimes I like the "crappy" grapics...etc...lol)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If I recall correctly, it wasn't developed by the same team that did the other Phantasy Stars. (It's rather difficult to get hard info on this anymore.) Many consider the game the red-headed stepchild of the series.

I played through it once, long ago. It was alright, but not really up to the level of the others. I still have my copy around somewhere.

I won't give spoilers, but it also kind of breaks the storyline, at least in terms of the direction things went in Phantasy Star IV. It's not that bad, and it can be reasoned around (though a bad translation didn't help matters, and you have to get really creative regardless...), but the core development team never really considered it part of the series proper. That, more than anything, is probably why it's not being remade... because the people doing the remakes don't consider it worth their time.

However, if you've got an itch to play the old games, Phantasy Stars 1, 2, and 3 were ported to the GBA a while back and released here on a single cart. It may be somewhat difficult to find now, but it is out there. There's also always the option of getting ahold of a Genesis (and a Master System or Powerbase Converter, in the case of Phantasy Star I).

All 4 were also ported to the Saturn some years back, but they never made it out of Japan. If you can read Japanese, that also might be an option, but I bet dollars to donuts that collection's nearly impossible to obtain.
  • nectarsisnectarsis Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    thanks for the info orbus...i actually have the GBA collection...I'd just like it as a Playstation 2 collection laugh.gif ...and the Sega Saturn collection can be found farly readily on EBAy (if you have the $) alien.gif plus I've tried learning Japenese....don't have the time/patience laugh.gif
  • BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Im diggin it.

Im an utter slut for the Phantasy Star series so this will be a must buy for me.

Hell, looking at that Japanese site, I would almost buy the entire 3d Ages line!

After Burner 2? Virtua Racing? Columns? Last Battle? Outrun?

Some quality gaming on that list.

Now this is the kinda stuff that might possibly save Sega, or at least give them some cache with the hardcore crowd.

Then again, I still buy Master System games off Ebay so what do I know anyhow?

• Options
    edited May 2004
    This is the best news I've heard in weeks. I played IV back in the good ol' Genesis era, but I've never played all the way through the first 3. I tried to go through them all when they were released as a collection for the GBA but sadly they just felt too dated for even me, a diehard old school gamer. I guess they just didn't have the nostalgia that Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy have for me, as I can go through them easily to this day. I'd love the opportunity to play the series from the start and not feel like I was playing such an archaic game. PS fans might have my head for saying that, but it can't be helped. sad.gif
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    PS2 is in my top ten list of favorite games. However the games will be heavy on the random battles and random battles and disc based games don't mix well. If Sega doesn't bother to make the loading times for the battles lighting quick then these games will become smash your controller frustrating.

Square didn't bother speeding up the random battles for the FF6 rerelease on the PS1 and the game really suffered becasue of it. Going through Zozo twice was bad enough when there was no loading times on the SNES.
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    ahh more remakes...when will it end?i think the classics need to be left alone.how about a new phantasy star game like the original games and not PSO instead of ANOTHER remake?the originals are always better anyways.find a genesis and play these games how they were originally meant to be and not some developer's rehash...blah.
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I won't give spoilers, but it also kind of breaks the storyline, at least in terms of the direction things went in Phantasy Star IV. It's not that bad, and it can be reasoned around (though a bad translation didn't help matters, and you have to get really creative regardless...), but the core development team never really considered it part of the series proper. That, more than anything, is probably why it's not being remade... because the people doing the remakes don't consider it worth their time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here.

If my memory andJames Maxlow serve me correctly, Phantasy Star III was more like a spin-off. in PS4 we learn that "<span class="spoiler"> Palma was evacuated, and it's population was shoved aboard giant, Discworld-like spacecraft. PS3 actually took place on one of these spacecraft</span>".

I'd still love to see these games released again. Reading that headline got me all excited. Finding Phantasy Star I and II is a real mission these days, but I've still got my copy of PSIV. Maybe I'll start playin' it again...

Edit: Edited in the correct spoiler tags smile.gif -Martyr

• BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 29 2004,02:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"?I tried to go through them all when they were released as a collection for the GBA but sadly they just felt too dated for even me, a diehard old school gamer. ?I guess they just didn't have the nostalgia that Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy have for me, as I can go through them easily to this day. ?I'd love the opportunity to play the series from the start and not feel like I was playing such an archaic game. ?PS fans might have my head for saying that, but it can't be helped. sad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow. Considering Phantasy Star 2 was released in the US before Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 2,3,and 4, that is kind of suprising to hear.

PS 2 came out in the US in like February-March 1990. At least that's when I rented it. A video store started renting Genesis games. I was happy. By Memorial Day they stopped because people kept complaining the games wouldn't work on their NES. I was then unhappy.)

I didn't get to buy PS 2 until June, but it had already been out for quite some time.

And going to Final Fantasy was a downgrade in gaming... Dragon Warrior 2 that winter? UGH. Graphics my Commodore 64 was outdoing!
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Man, these games are gonna boggle so many spoiled RPGamers out there, I cannot wait.

"But, in Phantasy Star II they don't tell you where to go to next!!!!!!!!!!"
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Phantasy Star 2 was released in the US before Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 2,3,and 4,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

many people dont know,but this is true.also if i recall ?phantasy star 1 was released before dragon warrior 1 in the U.S.this is very interesting considering how far phantasy star was ahead of its time and how it started the rpg market in the U.S.(not counting PC).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""But, in Phantasy Star II they don't tell you where to go to next!!!!!!!!!!"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

i know isnt it great?the good old days of rpg's.you actually had to figure out where to go and not be told by the game.it makes for more of a challenge and a more real experience.PS2 isnt entirely like this,but i wish developers would bring this back...
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaoticprime @ May 29 2004,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Man, these games are gonna boggle so many spoiled RPGamers out there, I cannot wait.

"But, in Phantasy Star II they don't tell you where to go to next!!!!!!!!!!"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Tell me about it. I can't wait to show these stupid new RPGamers how much I'm better then any of them. It's better then having a bigger penis!!

sarcasm.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaoticprime @ May 29 2004,14:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Man, these games are gonna boggle so many spoiled RPGamers out there, I cannot wait.

"But, in Phantasy Star II they don't tell you where to go to next!!!!!!!!!!"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This I doubt. These are remakes, not simple ports. I will be pretty surprised if they don't expand many of the storyline elements and give you a little more direction, at least in the older two games. PSIV was already pretty good in that regard.

Then again, you never know. They may remain completely faithful to the originals. Insane difficulty level of PSII and all.
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TheDrunkenGamer @ May 29 2004,10:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I won't give spoilers, but it also kind of breaks the storyline, at least in terms of the direction things went in Phantasy Star IV. It's not that bad, and it can be reasoned around (though a bad translation didn't help matters, and you have to get really creative regardless...), but the core development team never really considered it part of the series proper. That, more than anything, is probably why it's not being remade... because the people doing the remakes don't consider it worth their time.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here.

If my memory andJames Maxlow serve me correctly, Phantasy Star III was more like a spin-off. in PS4 we learn that [Spoil] Palma was evacuated, and it's population was shoved aboard giant, Discworld-like spacecraft. PS3 actually took place on one of these spacecraft[Spoil].

I'd still love to see these games released again. Reading that headline got me all excited. Finding Phantasy Star I and II is a real mission these days, but I've still got my copy of PSIV. Maybe I'll start playin' it again...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, since you've gone and spoiled it...

The real problem with the storyline (aside from the translation problems regarding how long they were actually on the ship) is with regard to Dark Force being present on the Alisa III. That Dark Force could leave the Algol star system, particularly at the same time as it was busy doing all the stuff it was doing in Phantasy Star II, doesn't really work.

Furthermore, even if we assume that more than one Dark Force was in fact present at that period (which seems dubious, in that the Algol seal was still more or less intact at that time), and that one went on the ship while another stayed behind, it wouldn't explain why it seems able to regenerate every 1000 years. Some of this is relatively easy to work around (it was sealed, rather than destroyed; the Algol seal was maybe already weakening...) but a lot of the problems after you accept that it's there stem from timing issues. This is also where the broken translation comes in, since the American translation gives a different figure as to how long they've been on the ship than the Japanese does. Don't quote me on this, but I believe in the American version it's implied that they've been on the ship for 1000 years, which means the Orakio/Laya war was at the same time as (or very shortly after) Phantasy Star II. And that PSIII takes place at roughly the same time as PSIV. In the Japanese version I believe the Orakio/Laya war was 1000 years after they got on the ships, and then the game is another 1000 years after that, which makes more sense in a lot of ways (but messes up others). This would then mean the game is 1000 years after PSIV. Both scenarios have their own unique problems.

If you go with the American figure, Dark Force was apparently in two places at once. (3 really, counting Algol) It was flying around destroying all the other colony ships, as there are only 3 left by the time of the game (IIRC), and it was also manipulating the Orakio/Laya war and then getting sealed in the Ocean Palace. If you accept the Japanese figure OTOH, that means it was active for 1000 years (or maybe got destroyed, but how did it regenerate?) flying around blowing up colony ships. At the end of this time, it tried the same on the Alisa III, but instead got sealed, after sparking off a devastating war. I suppose you could also go with a time figure between the two extremes, but that throws off the "it appears every 1000 years" dynamic which is stressed so heavily in the game. As you can see, neither scenario is perfect, but I think the Japanese one makes somewhat more sense.

Anyway, a lot of this basically flies in the face of what we know about Dark Force... particularly of what we learn about its goals and nature in Phantasy Star IV (still trying not to give off too many spoilers). Dark Force doesn't regenerate, rather a new one arrives every 1000 years (though in PSIV this changes because of the destruction of Parma, and they begin arriving in quick succession, though still apparently one at a time.) But the new one would still arrive in Algol, not out on some colony ship. The refugees are now irrelevant to Dark Force's goals. (If it just happened that it got stuck on one of the ships, then it'd probably wreak havoc just on general principal, but the refugees are not central to any plan.)

PSIII can indeed be seen as a side-story... it's just not a sidestory that fits particularly well. Basically its story worked fine until Phantasy Star IV came along and kicked over the anthill. After that the presence of Dark Force just doesn't make much sense. As I said, there are ways to reason around it, but I don't find any of them totally satisfactory.

There's also the problem of Wren (which many fan-fiction writers have had so much fun with). This would be a problem if we assume it's the same Wren that was present in PSIII and PSIV. I believe the official line has always been that they are not the same cyborg; only of a similar model. That makes a lot more sense than any of the crazy time travel theories.

The presence of the Nei weapons onboard the ship is also a big sticking point. One that is not so easily resolved.

As you can see, I've given this a lot more thought than I should probably have bothered with. Inconsistencies just bother me greatly. There are some fairly simple solutions to most of the storyline problems, but the fact remains that the game does not fit all that well. When PSIV was made, they basically kept elements of PSIII that they liked (Wren, the idea that some ships escaped from Parma) and just ignored the rest. It bothers continuity geeks like me, but there it is.

• Ranger1138Ranger1138 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Nice summary Orbus. And I believe your right on the US translation of 1,000 years.

One of the reasons, personally, why I am not the biggest fan of PSIII is it's four endings. None of them hold a candle to that of PSI II. And that ending works against the third game as well. By that I mean that those of us back in the day wanted a direct sequel to PS II. What we got was not very satisfying. Too many questions and not enough answers. PS IV helped but by then FF was on the scene something fierce.

I have to admire the FF series in it's non direct universe but for me the PS tales were wonderful in that there was a continuing storyline of sorts.

Oh yeah..
    I had to pay to save in PS III. I didn't like that at all. But I have said that now in two threads. LOL
    And I am as bad as Bloodcat on SEGA.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    A couple of things worth mentioning. PSIV wren is FuoWren, PSIII Wren is ShiWren. Not the same entity. The nei weapons aren't such a problem - nei is a word that means power, and as such orakio's sword isn't neccessarily elsydeon. Though who can tell? Elsydeon itself has gone from being a basic laconian sword to the Neisword to the Elsydeon.

Another major problem with PSIII was the duneons - they were horrific. There were all of three, maybe four tile sets used in all the dungeons in the game. There were only three or four dungeons with more then one floor, and they all looked like they had been randomly generated.

The spell system was also vastly different, and very odd - it wasn't a bad game, per se, but probably is the weakest in the series.

IIRC, it was done by Sonic team - making the moral of the story "Don't let your hedgehogs create rpgs."
    edited May 2004
    Yeah, I had forgotten about the two different Wren's names. Again, this is something that was not made at all clear in the American version of the game (as far as I can remember.) I mean, it was pretty obvious they weren't the same guy anyway, but that doesn't mean people couldn't get confused. I just went and dug out my copy of Phantasy Star III and looked in the book, hoping that it would list PSIII Wren's age. No such luck, though I still think it might have been mentioned in the game somewhere. PSIV Wren was like 998, constructed in the last days of Mother Brain's reign. If we assume they were constructed around the same time (which seems likely, but is by no means certain) it would help nail down how long they were actually on the ship... if we believe the American version at all, which I'm not sure I do.

As for the Nei weapons, I'm not sure I entirely agree with you, though it is of course possible that this is an unrelated set. I just really don't like that explaining PSIII requires duplicating things. Duplicate Nei weapons, duplicate Dark Force...

Ah well, this is all of purely academic interest anyway.

The fact that PSIII is not being remade when the others are seems to indicate that the developers on the remakes (who knows who they are?) just want to pretend the game didn't exist.
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I actually loved PSIII. The characters were great in that they had great potential. The world reminded me a lot of one of my favorite movies, Dune. I think that if it was tweaked just a bit, it could have been fleshed out more.

The generations system alone is one worth exploring in RPGS. With the exception of Saga Frontier II, I don't know of any game that has a system similar to that of PSIII.

Overall, I have to say that PSIII is most deserving of a remake(remix). I think that if Sega realized the worth of PSIII, more people would also realize its worth.
  • ParnParn Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Three things.

#1 - Phantasy Star 3 was NOT done by Sonic Team, I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion. Phantasy Star Online is the first game in the series to ever be tackled by Sonic Team.

#2 - The Phantasy Star series has never had a consistent development team. This is precisely why the presentation and style varies from game to game. Yuji Naka and Rieko Kodama are the two key individuals that have been part of the Phantasy Star series moreso than anyone else, Naka having been behind Phantasy Star I, Phantasy Star II, and Phantasy Star Online, and Kodama behind Phantasy Star I, Phantasy Star II, and Phantasy Star IV (Eternal Arcadia as well, just for a piece of trivia to throw in). To be perfectly blunt, Phantasy Star is whatever Sega decides it is.

#3 - Phantasy Star 3 was a great idea that was poorly executed, and it showed. A remake could do it justice possibly, but the game has such a bad reputation with the majority of the fans that would be interested in buying these low budget remakes, that there really is no point because too few copies would sell.
  • -=Magnum-PI=--=Magnum-PI=- Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    All that I can say is that Phantasy Star III was the first RPG I ever played, I played PS II second, and although it isnt the same style of the rest, it is still a deserving game to be remade: But hey, lets take what we can get. I just hope that they do an extensive upgrade on not only the graphics (which should remain 2d anime style), but also the music and even the dialogue as well, for a more intense plot and a way to help the less experienced RPGamers through PS II.

Over all I must say that Sega is starting to get back on the right track after several years of disappointment. With the recent announcements of new Shining Force and Panzar Dragoon Saga games, they are finally getting back to a formula that works. Hopefully these Phantasy Star remakes will fulfill all of our high expectations...so that we dont have to demand a Phantasy Star V! They could find a way to bring it back...RECOGNIZE!
  • GambitxGambitx Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    A Panzer Dragon Saga new game? I haven't seen anything related about it yet!!!!!!!
  • -=Magnum-PI=--=Magnum-PI=- Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A Panzer Dragon Saga new game? I haven't seen anything related about it yet!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It was in the May addition of EGM.
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-=Magnum-PI=- @ June 07 2004,02:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A Panzer Dragon Saga new game? I haven't seen anything related about it yet!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It was in the May addition of EGM.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In the rumors section it said a game that was using the same basic "style" may be announced this year. Nothing official from Sega.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    did they kill this release for usa or its really delayed? smile7.png