The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Taito to Release Remake of Ys III, IV, V

lordarilordari MemberFull Members
edited June 2004 in Latest Updates
The remake army marches on, as three more blasts from the past come to a PS2 near you. Welcome back to the good old days. Read about it here.

- lordari

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I yay, even though logic tells me I'll never see them over here.

Dracos
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Frell. Got my hopes up, forgot about nil chance for localization.
  • alldayrpgplayaalldayrpgplaya Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Dag it!!
    My parade got rained on before i even got the chance to get excited about this cool news. confused.gif
  • Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    you know your Ys V: Sand City Kefin Screen Shots dont work sad.gif
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Great News! Keep 2D alive. And they might be released outside of Japan. With all the weird stuff we are getting in the U.S. nowadays, I wouldn't rule it out. Don't forget, that Sega is releasing Phantasy Star Trilogy outside of Japan. I bet that other companies will jump on the compilation bandwagon based on trends.
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Man, and I payed out the ass for a copy of Ys V Proffessional
  • KhisanthKhisanth Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sniffy @ June 02 2004,08:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Great News! Keep 2D alive. And they might be released outside of Japan. With all the weird stuff we are getting in the U.S. nowadays, I wouldn't rule it out. Don't forget, that Sega is releasing Phantasy Star Trilogy outside of Japan. I bet that other companies will jump on the compilation bandwagon based on trends.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The Phantasy Star series was also originally released in the US, and did moderatly well. Most people have never even HEARD of the Ys games, despite some of them being released over here for some system I never had tounge.gif. I am currently playing Ys VI - The Ark of Nepashtim in Japanese, and I love it, despite my somewhat spotty knowledge of what is going on because of only understanding 1 in 10 sentences tounge.gif.
  • edited June 2004
    So...does that mean that they already released Ys Book I&II for the PS2, yet?! I have been waiting for it! I love the Ys series...especially the first two...the music is the best I have heard in any game...I bought my TurboGrafx for that game alone...It was truly the first RPG to have FMVs with voices! I still have it...and wouldn't trade it for anything. I am sure the FMVs are better...I only wished they used the same English voice actors for the re-make...that would be cool! Alan Oppenheimer, who did Skeletor from He-man in the 80s, was the narrator/Darm and Michael Bell, from Transformers and other animated cartoons, did Dark Fact! But all the voices from the TurboGrafx version were done so professionally...that I sometimes listen just to the CD by itself... tounge.gif I just hope I'm not expecting too much from the re-make version...that I'd be let down sad.gif
  • RPGGuyRPGGuy New Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Actually Allen Oppenheimer was also known as Dr Rudy Wells on The Bionic Woman.

Im sorry but Ys III sucked....

• mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2004
    more remakes?when will it ever end...?
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    If RPGFan is to be believed, we may stand a chance of getting some or all of them after all. They don't have specifics, but the article mentions that some sort of North American activity is planned for the Taito/Falcom partnership.
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Ys III did not suck! That game was great, it was the only RPG on SNES that I actually consider to be difficult. Well, Lagoon was kinda rough in spots. If you think the SNES version was bad, play the Genesis port of it, it had no cut scenes at all.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I won't even dignify slander against Ys III with a witty reply...just hatred...
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RPGGuy @ June 02 2004,21:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually Allen Oppenheimer was also known as Dr Rudy Wells on The Bionic Woman.

Im sorry but Ys III sucked....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I wouldn't say Y's III sucked, I just think the control was kind of sketchy and the character sprites were too small. But I enjoyed it a lot. Companies like Falcom, Broderbund(Golvelius), and even Atlus have a way of creating atmosphere with their games than nobody can match. This all became clear to me during the SNES-Genesis era, and I have complete faith in them. Too bad Broderbund chose to just make computer software(and no games). But I digress...Y's III is a nice little game.

And Yay! I LOVE Allen Oppenheimer. He also played Alistair Crane on a soap opera called Passions. His voice is amazing. As Skeletor, he rocks, and will no doubt rock in video games!
  • SardiusSardius Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Ys 1&2 were already released on the PS2 as Ys eternal story... However, this was not a remake port of Ys Book 1&2 it was a remake of Ys 1 and 2 stand alone versions. Ys Eternal Story features the same music you remeber but remixed and re-done, some for the better, some not. There is additional music, graphics are awesome... It does have some FMV but no voice acting. Ys eternal story was not released over here mainly due to Sony refusing it.
    Yah I know, NA really blows sometimes... The people in charge of game publishing should not be... Who are all under the impression "If the game is 2d we shouldn't pick it up, because 2d sucks"
  • edited June 2004
    That kind of upsets me, I don't have a PS2, and I actually liked the Ys series. That's it, I'm gonna buy a PS2 now. Damnit.